Football Programmes Centre

VAR Love it or hate it?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
VAR Love it or hate it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
albion99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:24 pm 
Post subject: VAR Love it or hate it?

If the subject has been aired on here my apologies but with Premier League football beginning this Friday I remain of the opinion we are being deprived of this revolutionary technology that has the capability to remove all of the blatant cheating that is currently going on in the game.
Before those of you who disagree with me take issue as I'm sure you will please read a little further before exploding!
VAR as we've all seen when used correctly works.
WHEN USED CORRECTLY!
That user, or users are of course referees, the same referees who week after week, deliberate on innumerable questionable decisions in matches they officiate in.
The referees decision throughout any match is final, television replays, trial by pundits or us the television audience counts for nothing, to coin a phrase whatever their decision you 'PLAY ON'
That decision is made the game continues!
I'm now going to make a statement that if it shocks some its simply my view.
Too many referees are cheating, blatantly cheating!
I watched Nottingham Forest v WBA on Tuesday and witnessed not one but two instances of shirt pulling by Albion defenders that the referee seemed to be directly in line with, plus his assistant was looking across the line, no one saw anything!
By the way my team is West Brom.
Forest were robbed, but it happens week in week out your team my team we all lose out.
Now its time to say that I was a referee myself in a former life and one thing that stands out in my memory was the number of games I ran lines to a referee who thought he was bigger than the game, to some referees even official linesmen had no other roll than balls in and out of play.
Why is it that now ex football league referees are commenting on the rights and wrongs of the match official, when some of those pontificating were no better themselves?
Hindsight is wonderful, so why not VAR?
VAR when available takes something away from the power crazed referee, his decisions can be challenged and many referees will not like it!
Hence in my opinion this reluctance to embrace the technology.
Better still let the crowd see what VAR officials have drawn the match referees attention to, what's to hide?
So the game takes longer?
Personally if staying a while longer to get a full game without what we are currently witnessing would be time well spent, and the days of 'we wuz robbed' might be assigned to the past!
Out of curiosity when we had all those extra officials behind the goal line in European matches did they ever make any difference?
Once again football is behind the times, but don't blame technology, have a look at those adjudicating in some far off VAR studio, the real miscreants!
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:37 pm 
Post subject:

The referees have to judge decisions on what they think they saw

With VAR, for the most important (match changing) decisions they can have a second look

There is still the issue that they have to judge what they have seen, even with a few tv replays of it.

But hopefully it will cut down the controversy.

I would hope that the Premier League can get it working as quickly as they often managed at the Russia World Cup. Couldn't stand how slow it was last season for the televised FA Cup games, particularly the Spurs ones at Wembley

I hope the Ref's tv replay screen is close to the pitch at West Ham, as otherwise it'll take ages for him to get across to where the dugouts are - it's miles from the pitch!!

Only thing I'd like to really see is that the fans should be trusted to see the VAR replays on the big screen(s). After all, if supposedly the correct decision is going to be reached, then we should be treated like adults and be allowed to see it too - after all, we pay for tickets to see the game live, why should those at home get better coverage than those in the ground who have paid?
Gwyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:34 pm 
Post subject:

It seems to me that football should take a lot of leaves out of rugby's book where so much seems to work so much better.
Rafehod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:26 pm 
Post subject:

I totally agree with the rugby thing, they go upstairs to have a review and the decision is then explained clearly so the crowd can hear the outcome and the reason for the decision.

That is the problem with the VAR as it is being processed in football matches, there is still no transparancy. Its all a secretive decision making process where all the viewer sees is the referees hand go up without an explanation as to why the decision was given or not.

If it was run like the rugby process there would be none of the shite that happened in the world cup as referees would have to be accountable for their decisions rather than hiding behind a cloak of silence.

This could be great, really great but they have thus far gone down the wrong path with it, possibly to still allow for the odd dodgy decision....read into that as you will
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: