Football Programmes Centre

Who are Sunderland's opponents
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Who are Sunderland's opponents
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big_Roy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:08 pm 
Post subject: Who are Sunderland's opponents

I think the photo is from the 1972/73 season

https://i36.servimg.com/u/f36/18/57/84/20/sunder10.jpg
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:52 pm 
Post subject:

Looks like they've changed colours due to a clash so one of Sheff Weds, Huddersfield or Brighton?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:28 pm 
Post subject:

Seen this before, another copy of it probably. Initially had it down as either Middlesbrough, Orient, Bolton or Preston, but it's now believed to be ….

Millwall.

In the background (behind Billy Hughes' head) you can see advertised SAT 3rd MARCH O____D which was Oxford on 3rd March 1973. Sunderland played Middlesbrough on 17th Feb, Reading on 3rd Feb (FAC) and Millwall on 27th Jan.

Middlesbrough collector I know said he didn't recognise anyone in white. Bolton collector the same. Reading would surely have been in their blue & white hoops. As they played Orient in August and Preston in December they surely wouldn't have been advertising the March fixture then.

So it rather left Millwall as the only likely opponents, in their all white kit with no badge. But we still weren't sure as we couldn't positively identify any Millwall players.

Having said all that, Derby's suggestions hold some water and they played Brighton on 6th Jan, which is possible, but Huddersfield in April and Sheff Weds in September so the ad rules them out.

Does this help? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Rocky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:29 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:31 pm 
Post subject:

Rocky, I was told by another Boro collector it wasn't Boro. I didn't think it worth troubling you with it to be honest.

Can you ID anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Big_Roy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:42 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Pete, yes it does help!

I thought it might be Millwall due to the white strip but don't recognise any of the players.The Oxford advert is a great spot, it seems a few weeks away to be Millwall, maybe more likely to be Boro as Rocky suggests

Hopefully a fan of the team recognises some of the players and can confirm
kenners46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:43 am 
Post subject:

Isn't the guy in white about to head the ball Stuart Boam ??
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:53 am 
Post subject:

That's the current thinking, Kenners.
Rocky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:12 pm 
Post subject:

Rocky wrote:
v Boro Feb 73

Have we been duped by this? https://picclick.co.uk/Original-Football-Press-Photo-Sunderland-v-Middlesbrough-253669261575.html

I posted 'v Boro Feb 73' rather tongue in cheek to see what the responses would be, or maybe in the hope somebody would confirm it was Boro. I cannot positively identify the players in white and that bearded player definitely doesn’t ring any bells. I must say it doesn't look like a mid February day at 4.40pm either (according to that clock), with the sun shining casting those long shadows. Could it actually be Oxford on March 3rd, (as per the advertisement), in a change kit... or is it Boam heading the ball?
Sherlock

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:25 pm 
Post subject:

Interestingly enough, if you type in 'images of Sunderland 1972-73' on google, the very first squad line up that comes up, is a picture of the Sunderland team from a picture from a Football league Review and behind the squad is the advert for March 3 and Oxford. There is no crowd, so not a pre match photo.
Big_Roy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:37 pm 
Post subject:

The clock is a good spot, that should rule out Millwall if the clock is right!

The opposition player on the far left could that be Oxford's Hugh Curran and the bearded player Nigel Cassidy ?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:08 pm 
Post subject:

It could be Oxford I guess but it's not Hugh Curran far left, he was more solidly built than that bloke.

Thinking about it again, with those shadows at 4:40 it must be later than February or early March I think. Maybe that advert was left up there for a few weeks by mistake.

It's really odd that there are 6 players in plain kit fully visible and between us all we can't recognise one of them, yet all the Sunderland players are clear as a bell.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:37 pm 
Post subject:

I thought the bearded player might be Trevor Hockey.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:21 pm 
Post subject:

The chap furthest right looks a bit like Hockey and at this angle it's hard to say if he has a beard or not.

I thought originally it was Bolton and the bearded one facing camera was Roy Greaves. But I was assured it's not Bolton.
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:36 am 
Post subject:

Is there a chance this could be vs Luton in the FAC a couple of weeks after the Oxford game? Sign not taken down for whatever reason, and Luton in change of shorts due to clash with Sunderland? Long-shot maybe, but...
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:42 am 
Post subject:

No, scratch that suggestion - Luton played in orange that day. Nevermind.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:00 am 
Post subject:

It could be millwall. The chubby face bloke far left could be Barry Kitchenor and slightly blond guy in middle watching the heading duel could be Derek Possee.

I found this pic of millwall team around that time and bloke in our picture far right could be Alan Dorney perhaps

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILLWALL-FOOTBALL-TEAM-PHOTO-1972-73-SEASON-/382516054308?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:05 am 
Post subject:

goonerboy wrote:
It could be millwall. The chubby face bloke far left could be Barry Kitchenor and slightly blond guy in middle watching the heading duel could be Derek Possee.

I found this pic of millwall team around that time and bloke in our picture far right could be Alan Dorney perhaps

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILLWALL-FOOTBALL-TEAM-PHOTO-1972-73-SEASON-/382516054308?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

Thanks Gooner but sadly it can't be Possee as he joined Palace in Jan 73, making his debut on 20th Jan - the Sunderland v Millwall game was on 27th.

Oh well....
Five and In

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:23 am 
Post subject: Who are Sunderland's opponents

OK, this has bugged me all day yesterday and I have a bit of a long shot for consideration.
Brighton 5/1/73?

I found this line up under Brighton 72/73 and there are similarities between some of the players in the team and the original photo.
Back Row 2nd left could be the bearded player.
Sitting on the floor 2nd left could be the defender far left.
Stood behind the manager could be our "Boam" player.
Centre row, lst player on right could be the far right player in the photo.
I did say it was a long shot!!

yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:56 am 
Post subject: Re: Who are Sunderland's opponents

Five and In wrote:
OK, this has bugged me all day yesterday and I have a bit of a long shot for consideration.
Brighton 5/1/73

This is bugging me massively also. Don’t think it’s Brighton though - doesn’t look like a 12,500ish crowd to me (as quoted on the statcat.co.uk)
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: