Football Programmes Centre

Postal Auctions
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Postal Auctions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:18 pm 
Post subject: Postal Auctions

Is it just me or does this happen to others as well. I have recently bid for progs with two different postal auctions ,on both occasions I won with my maximum bid! is this just a coincidence or am I missing the point of how postal auctions work.
Thanks for any info.

Gwyn
stfcprogman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:42 pm 
Post subject:

Hi

Some sellers will ask for bids and will sell to the highest bid regardless of how many bids are received and the value of those bids.

Others act as you would expect from an auction where a bid will be accepted and the winner will be the person with the highest bid but will not necessarily need to pay the full bid amount. e.g. bids of £10 and £20 for an item will result in the £20 bid winning but probably with a sale amount of £11 or £12

Hope this helps

Julian
goonerboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:57 pm 
Post subject:

It depends on whether you made it sufficiently clear that it was a bid "up to a mx of...".

Some postal auctions do accept that approach while others do not in which case they will take your max bid as your bid.......or you may have been unlucky/lucky that the next highest bid was only a quid or two below yours.
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:43 am 
Post subject: Postal auction.

It could be mere coincidence or it could possibly be that you have been "taken on".
martino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:18 am 
Post subject: Re: Postal Auctions

Gwyn wrote:
Is it just me or does this happen to others as well. I have recently bid for progs with two different postal auctions ,on both occasions I won with my maximum bid! is this just a coincidence or am I missing the point of how postal auctions work.
Thanks for any info.

Gwyn

If you are talking about Roy Calmels of Sports Programmes you pay what your stated bid is, as long as the bid is equal to or more than the stated minimum bid i.e. you bid £150 and even if there are lower or no other bids, you pay £150.

If I want a programme from him I learned a long time ago never to bid more than the stated minimum price. Invariably that is sufficient to win the item.

I have never tried bidding less than the minimum bid stated; perhaps I should.

The plus side is that there is no commission to add as with public auctions.

The lack of transparency is in my opinion a bit "old-school" but you take it or leave it. In my experience that is the way he has always worked.
Gwyn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:21 am 
Post subject: Postal Auctions

Thanks to every one for there replies especially martino who has hit the nail right on the head, I will definitely take this on board going into future auctions as it is a completely different format to all auctions I have been to in the past.

Regards

Gwyn
wdy11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:15 pm 
Post subject:

Its known as a blind auction I think. You pay what you bid. It's quite common in charity auctions to I've seen. Everyone enters a sealed bid and the highest gets it.

Dealt with Roy Camels many times, Always happy with the service, never bid more than I'm happy to pay, win or lose!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: