Football Programmes Centre

Sunday Football
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sunday Football

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slightfold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:50 pm 
Post subject: Sunday Football

The Millwall Fulham game dated 20/1/74 is listed as being the first ever Sunday League game. Yet the Darlington Mansfield Town issue 15/2/81 also makes the claim, and even has an insert stating this! There must be some explanation for this apparent contradiction? Can someone please enlighten me?
martino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:48 pm 
Post subject:

For those of us old enough to remember there was an Energy Crisis in 1973/74. Perhaps some games were switched to a Sunday.
CanaryHonestMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:06 pm 
Post subject:

Games in 1973/74 went ahead on Sundays due to a Football League special dispensation, but once the three-day week crisis was over, they were banned again. A special meeting of the Football League in early 1981, in response to falling gates, allowed clubs to play up to six games on a Sunday, and the Darlington match was the first one following this change - hence the claim on the programme.
Presumably after 1973/74 fixtures in Scotland continued to be allowed to be played on a Sunday, as I remember Ayr playing Scottish Cup ties at Celtic and Hibernian in 1977 and 1980 on a Sunday.
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:14 pm 
Post subject:

The FA cup tie between Cambridge United & Oldham Athletic was the first match played on sunday 6th January 1974 with an early kick off , a number of other ties also played on a sunday. Bradford City played Alvechurch on the same date with a 3pm kick off. The Millwall v Fulham match 2 weeks later was the first league match as it Kicked off at 11-30pm in 20th January,
slightfold

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

Many thanks to forum members for all your informative replies. So the earlier 1974 games were the result of a temporary dispensation because the 'fuel crisis,' and the 1981's were as a result of a permanent change in the rules. Cheers!
slightfold

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

Many thanks to forum members for all your informative replies. So the earlier 1974 games were the result of a temporary dispensation because the 'fuel crisis,' and the 1981's were as a result of a permanent change in the rules. Cheers!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: