Football Programmes Centre

Association of Football Statisticians
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Association of Football Statisticians

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martino

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:36 pm 
Post subject: Association of Football Statisticians

Anyone know if the AFS is still active?

Is their website 11v11?

If so it does not give any information on membership or publications except for links to Amazon and E Bay, both of which do not offer much for sale.
colchestersid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:30 pm 
Post subject:

I was a member of this back in the 1980s; from memory Ray Spiller caused some controversy by closing it down and transferring it all online without the agreement of the members. It hasn't been "active" in years but various of its' publications do come up on ebay

I chucked all my newsletters years ago, the staples were badly rusted and my interests had moved on
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:37 pm 
Post subject:

Albert Sewell MBE, the MOTD statto died yesterday by the way, Age 91. Sad news.

He invented the 'magazine style' programme, at Chelsea.

https://gameofthepeople.com/2018/06/27/farewell-albert-sewell-the-man-who-invented-the-classic-programme/
martino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:34 am 
Post subject:

Another football statistician is know of is Tony Brown who, as many will already know, has published many football related books and has some other Projects on the go.

http://www.soccer.mistral.co.uk/
martino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:42 am 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
Albert Sewell MBE, the MOTD statto died yesterday by the way, Age 91. Sad news.

He invented the 'magazine style' programme, at Chelsea.

https://gameofthepeople.com/2018/06/27/farewell-albert-sewell-the-man-who-invented-the-classic-programme/

A nice tribute. I never came across his name before but he sounds like a remarkable and respected man.

R.I.P.
overlap

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:36 pm 
Post subject:

Very sorry to hear about Albert's death.
Met him once, a real gentleman.

Always remember Des Lynam would refer to him as "our man Albert".

"Stats guru Albert Sewell worked on MOTD for 37 years and, having been regularly referred to as "our man Albert" by Lynam, once appeared on the programme to prove he was a real person. When he retired in 2005, his personal records library included 24,000 player transfers and 6,400 managerial changes. John Motson described his pre-match briefings as "six pages of editorial gold dust".
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:45 pm 
Post subject: Re: Association of Football Statisticians

martino wrote:
Anyone know if the AFS is still active?

Is their website 11v11?

If so it does not give any information on membership or publications except for links to Amazon and E Bay, both of which do not offer much for sale.

Anything in particular you're looking for? I have a number of AFS items in my pop up Programme and Memorabilia shop this Friday and Saturday - Thornhill, Dumfriesshire, on the main A76 road if anyone fancies popping in, open between 10am and 5pm)

Have some really nice bound AFS items in my own library, and always on the lookout for more myself.

I have bound volumes of AFS Annuals 1888 - 1898 and 1898 - 1908. I have the vast majority of AFA pre WW2 annuals loose but no bound volume cases for them. Do they exist?)

Bound volumes also of AFS REORTS, numbers 12-23; 24-35; 36-47. Missing the first 11 in a bound volume should anyone be able to help. I then have the next four volumes of these annuals in AFS PUBLICATIONS volumes. Was that the norm?

Bound volume Football Recollections numbers 1-11. Ran from September 1986 (with free pilot issue) through to June / Sepember 1989, making twelve in total.

Football League Cup 1960-1984 BV

AFS Non League reports

Volume 1 - Starts with FREE ISSUE March 1994 and then numbers 1-8 (March 1996) the bound volume then goes onto , rather bizarrely, volume 3 number 1 in August 1996 and volume ends with number 3 of volume 1 February 1997.

Volume 2 - Starts volume 3 number 4, then volume 4 numbers 1 - 4 and then volume 5 only has three parts to it, again 3 issues followed by an index Pilot issue to volume 6. Is this the norm?

Also have both volumes of AFS War Reports.
martino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:36 pm 
Post subject:

John, PM being sent
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: