Football Programmes Centre

Has Anyone got similar cards of their club's at all??
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Has Anyone got similar cards of their club's at all??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:12 pm 
Post subject: Has Anyone got similar cards of their club's at all??

This "Baines Style" shield shaped card is from the 1930's.

The United player featured was George Vose a Centre Half, usually the star player featured and although George played 211 games from 1932-1940 he was not considered a star player in the team nor was he the Captain either.

I am aware of only a Manchester City and a Chelsea card besides the one above.

Each of the 3 cards have the same artwork, just a change of club name and of course the player changes too. Measures 7.5 x 6.5cm so quite large.

I am looking for any info on who published and why?, was it given away with sweets or cigarettes/tobacco or even from a Boy's magazine-a lot of a mystery.

Thanks in advance for any help on the matter Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
paulobee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:14 am 
Post subject:

This is the Brentford one from a very very similar series, if not the same, but no player mentioned.

Was the player "printed" or "stamped" on aftrerwards? Especially the Man Utd one, if it's in your posession?

These, and another series of shield type cards from the 1930's, have been questioned many times previously by football card enthusiasts.

I don't believe, to my knowledge anyway, that any printer or publisher has been confirmed for these.

This Brentford card was ordered, by myself, last year via a well known card dealer and was "lost" in the post. Probably going to the wrong address or even pinched, I'll never know. A card I still get annoyed about and not having it in my collection!!

Unless someone can find a publication with an advert in a football comic or magazine, we may probably never know who produced these trade cards.

Anyway, here's the Brentford scan below. Sad

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:59 am 
Post subject:

There's something similar in the current Tim Davidson auction catalogue, I'm not saying it's the same as the 2 above but on the same lines:-

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/tim-davidson/catalogue-id-srti10083/lot-58808dfd-b692-47c7-9277-a93100b916c9

City Bakeries, Stockport County?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:05 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
There's something similar in the current Tim Davidson auction catalogue, I'm not saying it's the same as the 2 above but on the same lines:-

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/tim-davidson/catalogue-id-srti10083/lot-58808dfd-b692-47c7-9277-a93100b916c9

City Bakeries, Stockport County?

Hi Pete

City Bakeries were from Glasgow I recall and their cards were a little later in the 1940's but it is the style of the United and the Brentford ones and the Manchester City that are all quite similar and are that bit older with an Art Deco influence I would say, but thanks for taking the time to post. Thumbs Up

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:07 pm 
Post subject:

paulobee wrote:
This is the Brentford one from a very very similar series, if not the same, but no player mentioned.

Was the player "printed" or "stamped" on aftrerwards? Especially the Man Utd one, if it's in your posession?

These, and another series of shield type cards from the 1930's, have been questioned many times previously by football card enthusiasts.

I don't believe, to my knowledge anyway, that any printer or publisher has been confirmed for these.

This Brentford card was ordered, by myself, last year via a well known card dealer and was "lost" in the post. Probably going to the wrong address or even pinched, I'll never know. A card I still get annoyed about and not having it in my collection!!

Unless someone can find a publication with an advert in a football comic or magazine, we may probably never know who produced these trade cards.

Anyway, here's the Brentford scan below. Sad

Very good point but the card has Vose's name printed on.

Yes it is in my possession-NEVER seen another one.

Wave

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:14 pm 
Post subject: Trade Cards-Baines-Sharp's and a few others....

If any one is interested in this type of item to collect then here is a little assortment of what I have uploaded so far https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7SDap1

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: