Football Programmes Centre

UEFA Nations League
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UEFA Nations League

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:16 am 
Post subject: UEFA Nations League

I've just been reading up on this 'new' european competition.
I know I getting old, but is there really a need for this European League competition spreading over 10 months.

We have European championships/World cups to look forward to every 2 years. Do we really need this new european format to be squeezed in between? What do others think?

regards, Mark
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:44 am 
Post subject:

It’s designed to provide more competitive games and largely replace friendlies, which can only be a good thing. Plus you play nations who in theory are equal in ability.

It also provides a qualifying path for the smaller nations, so you could have a Lithuania or a Luxembourg in the Euro Finals which, given its bloated size now (24 teams) gives the wee teams their day in the sun (remember Latvia at Euro 2000?).

As for timelines, the group phase only last 2 months (Sep-Nov), then there is normal Euro Qualifying, before the Nations League play-offs happen in March 2020.

A welcome innovation IMO.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:35 pm 
Post subject:

Apologies if I duplicate Tynie's excellent points, but I'm also massively in favour - it's better than friendlies, and is using those slots.

It provides qualification to a team from each of four levels of ability across Europe, so maybe Scotland might qualify through playing teams at their level.

Also it finally gives hope to teams right at the lowest level, like the Faroes and San Marino.

It's a shame that of the four fixtures that you play the same two teams both home and away, but that is a really minor gripe, and I suppose it keeps it really fair.

Hope the England away fans get to go to Croatia too - currently it looks like that game will be behind closed doors
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: