Football Programmes Centre

Coffer kit badges
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Coffer kit badges
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:13 pm 
Post subject: Coffer kit badges

Straight forward query really. Spurs have a home and away kit version. I find it hard to believe they are the only club who do. Do any of you have any other examples of teams with more than 1 version?
I have the blue one but still currently on the look out for a white one, i think it is probably the more common of the two but i've been outbid a few times.

[/img]
kstand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:36 pm 
Post subject:

With Man Utd they only have a home version, and I can’t say I’ve seen any home and away versions for other clubs. You don’t see this type come up for sale much, more the bigger shirt coffer badges.
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:33 pm 
Post subject:

It's not a badge that comes up that often, I've had a couple in my time but I don't recall a team with two colours. Are both Spurs badges marked as Coffer?
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:38 pm 
Post subject:

Lovely badges, I'm always jealous that Coffer never did any enamel badges for Newport County, only inserts.

We've always been an unfashionable club sadly.

I've always loved all of the Coffer souvenirs, they were the dog's whatsits when I was a lad. I'd go into the local sports shop with eyes like saucers, and stay there for ages annoying the lady who ran it admiring them all.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:46 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
Lovely badges, I'm always jealous that Coffer never did any enamel badges for Newport County, only inserts.

I've always loved all of the Coffer souvenirs, they were the dog's whatsits when I was a lad. I'd go into the local sports shop with eyes like saucers, and stay there for ages annoying the lady who ran it admiring them all.

I suppose you mean no Newport badges other than the club crest? Only saying as I have a Coffer Northampton Newport club crest that I picked up at Somerton Park in 1988.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:53 pm 
Post subject:

Ronsaunders wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:

I suppose you mean no Newport badges other than the club crest? Only saying as I have a Coffer Northampton Newport club crest that I picked up at Somerton Park in 1988.

Yes, of course, you're quite right Ron, I'd overlooked that.

I did mean all those lovely 1970s designs really, but you are correct nonetheless, they did issue that crest and I had forgotten that.

Thumbs Up

Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 pm 
Post subject:

Cheers for the response. I wasn't trying to be a smart arse as I know what you mean about the other Coffer badges from the 70's and 80's. Many of my modern badges have left my collection via eBay, but the Coffers remain and still occasionally get added to!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 pm 
Post subject:

Ronsaunders wrote:
Cheers for the response. I wasn't trying to be a smart arse as I know what you mean about the other Coffer badges from the 70's and 80's. Many of my modern badges have left my collection via eBay, but the Coffers remain and still occasionally get added to!

No, I didn't think for a second you were buddy, I'm glad you pointed that out. I always tend to think of that badge as one of the many club-issued crests, and forget that it is indeed Coffer.

There were two versions of it too - a fairly common one with black inner & amber outer, and a far scarcer one with reverse colours.

These days, with so many badges issued and at such a breathtaking rate, I doubt we'll ever see anyone as widely loved & revered as Coffer again. No wonder modern day collectors adore them so.

Smile

Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:28 pm 
Post subject:

I have the top one and it was, in the absence of eBay, one that I felt really pleased to get hold of. It was a couple of weeks before you went out of the league and it was a nice lady in the reception who found one in a drawer. Given that I wanted to do Newport in my quest for the 92, leaving it as late meant that I almost missed out on the badge!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:35 pm 
Post subject:

Ronsaunders wrote:
I have the top one and it was, in the absence of eBay, one that I felt really pleased to get hold of. It was a couple of weeks before you went out of the league and it was a nice lady in the reception who found one in a drawer. Given that I wanted to do Newport in my quest for the 92, leaving it as late meant that I almost missed out on the badge!

Yes, they were dark days buddy. I remember them all too well sadly.

Very nice story though mate.

There was also a re-make of that Coffer badge in 2005 ...

GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:45 pm 
Post subject:

The remake is a beautiful badge just on it's own, probably from the coffer mold.

Amazing you could still get such a good quality, beautiful badge as little as 15 years ago compared to the quality on offer now.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:50 pm 
Post subject:

GrestytheLion wrote:
The remake is a beautiful badge just on it's own, probably from the coffer mold.

Amazing you could still get such a good quality, beautiful badge as little as 15 years ago compared to the quality on offer now.

Cheers Gresty. In fairness, the two Coffer badges are nicer in the flesh, but for some reason my temperamental scanner was much harsher with those two than the remake.

Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:50 pm 
Post subject:

AKP badges are still about making top drawer badges, a beacon of hope in a mass produced, glass fronted, sell it in a packet world of absolute worthless tat
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:01 pm 
Post subject:

I haven't seen much produced by And for a while, is he still involved in Stoke matchday badges?
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:13 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
GrestytheLion wrote:

Cheers Gresty. In fairness, the two Coffer badges are nicer in the flesh, but for some reason my temperamental scanner was much harsher with those two than the remake.

Wiggy, they are both stunning badges, it was more the point the quality available as little as 15 years ago compared to what is available now.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:38 pm 
Post subject:

GrestytheLion wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:
GrestytheLion wrote:

Wiggy, they are both stunning badges, it was more the point the quality available as little as 15 years ago compared to what is available now.

I see what you mean mate.

Yes, and the sheer quality of the really old badges is a world away from what is produced these days, especially. The pre war 'Steward' badges for example are a thing of quite exquisite beauty. We see nothing of that quality now. Similarly with cards too.

Bogus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:29 am 
Post subject:

I recently got into Match Attax with my nephew, not something i've really bothered with before, I play Spurs he plays Man U. I do have some old Spurs player cards of various shapes and sizes and they do have some charm but i quite like the holograms on the specials and shinies. See what tac the world cup comes up with lol.

On the OP badges. I only have the blue one which i got as part of a bundle and can confirm its stamped. The white i've bid on a few times but missed out on but also a Coffer. I did see somet on ebay recently of some new repo's of this design, can't remember who they were for though
60s70s80s Badges

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:32 am 
Post subject:

I have a small collection of these Coffer kit style badges - 11 different clubs. I don't have either of the Spurs ones, but have been looking out for them for several years. As far as I am aware, Spurs is the only one which was produced in 2 colour ways. Interestingly (to me, at least Very Happy ) there is a similar situation with the Coffer Rosette style badge - I have 29 different ones and as far as I am aware (but happy to be corrected) only Arsenal and Spurs have 2 different colour versions. And I only have one of the Spurs ones. There is a Man United one in a different colour which is fairly readily available but it is not backstamped.

moonlight dribbler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:20 pm 
Post subject: Coffer kit badges

Derby County have colour variations in the Coffer Rosette badges Blue / White & White / Blue ... Also WBA rosette was issued in both gold and silver versions.

Not seen other 2 kit versions of the Coffer kit badge but Ipswich Town was issued in both gold & silver versions.
60s70s80s Badges

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:27 pm 
Post subject: Re: Coffer kit badges

moonlight dribbler wrote:
Derby County have colour variations in the Coffer Rosette badges Blue / White & White / Blue ... Also WBA rosette was issued in both gold and silver versions.

Not seen other 2 kit versions of the Coffer kit badge but Ipswich Town was issued in both gold & silver versions.

Of course, - you are absolutely right about the Derby County rosette badges - I have them both and managed to overlook them!

I hadn't been aware of the different base metals being used, so will keep an eye out for those variations. Thanks.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: