Football Programmes Centre

St Patricks Athletic Info and Queries 51/52-79/80
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
St Patricks Athletic Info and Queries 51/52-79/80

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyspain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:10 pm 
Post subject: St Patricks Athletic Info and Queries 51/52-79/80

I hope this is of interest to St Pats fans as well as posing a number of questions. Obvious Limerick bias on the questions also checking for a friend who supports Dundalk.

1951/52 Any known home programmes still exist apart from Shelbourne for the first season and first league win? Nothing to indicate this is a one-off. Note Limerick did issue that season but I’ve never seen one for the title clinching game at the Markets Field.

1952/53 Any official programmes done apart from FAI Cup games? I’m assuming the Cork Athletic shown is a pirate but not sure. Any of this style done for other home games? Anything done at all for home games in 53/54?

1954/55 Pats appear to have issued a regular programme all season for the league winning campaign. I’ve never seen anything for Limerick league 26/2/55 but issues done for games before and afterwards. Anyone know if Limerick exists?

1955/56 The title was retained. Regular programmes produced at least up until Waterford 26/2/56. Were any done afterwards? In particular anything done for Limerick on March 11th?

1956/57 I’ve never seen any programme from that season apart from Shelbourne shield. Any others known?

1957/58 I’ve only seen Evergreen in the FAI Cup. Any others done?

1958/59 & 59/60. I’ve only seen Shamrock rovers 24/1/60. Any others done?

1968/69 Odd issues for testimonials, benefits and European games but the only other domestic programme I’m aware of for years was in 1968/69. I’m aware of a few from Shamrock Rovers January through to Waterford April. Anything done for Limerick on March 9th?

Again a one off for Shamrock Rovers FAI Cup 75/76.

Another one-off for Dundalk in 1979. My first visit to Richmond Park was for the Limerick game two weeks later and definitely nothing done for that. Are there any known Pats v Dundalk programmes before 1979?

There have been regular issues since the 1980’s.

seandel1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:54 am 
Post subject:

79-80 is my earliest Paas v Dundalk, and I've not noted anything earlier.

I've nothing from Pats-Dundalk games 80-1 to 84-5 and have not noted the existence of any from these seasons (that's not to say they don't exist, but I've not seen them). Seems to be consistent programmes from 85-6 on.
slightfold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:53 am 
Post subject:

There's a Tommy Dunne benefit against Peterborough United 16/5/61.I have this as i collect First seasons in the League. I believe it is quite scarce but so are quite a few of Posh's aways for their fist season.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:22 am 
Post subject: St Patrick’s Athletic lnfo and Queries 51/52-79/80

Here’s a couple of St Patrick’s programmes from the 1950s. With them being big games l don’t think they are particularly rare. Just to add , don’t know much about The Chapelizod Stadium that the 1955 Shamrock Rovers game was played at.
garyspain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:38 am 
Post subject:

Thanks for the replies.

Yes the Tommy Dunne benefit is very scarce. They issued for a few other benefits as well. Ginger O'Rourke, Jimmy Cummings, Ronnie Whelan come to mind and all of these are also scarce.

The mid 80's makes sense Sean. Definitely individual issues done in the 80's and pretty much all of them turn up regularly.

Some Pats mid 50's turn up regularly incl both Limerick shield games - 54/5 & 55/6. They most likely issued for Dundalk and Limerick league game sin 54/5. Best guess is the boom in collecting then did not really cover Pats whereas clubs such as Shamrock Rovers, Shelbourne, Bohemians and Drumcondra turn up all the time from that period. Ditto for Transport where 2 programmes (Shamrock Rovers and Limerick cup) turn up a lot but most others are scarce.

Having chatted to a number of collectors from the era including many who had long since stopped. Boys would be given free bundles of leftover programmes to swop with other collectors. Chapelizod would have been quite a trek in those days even with Pats winning the league in successive seasons.

51/52 is a bit oif a mystery to me. They played in Milltown and Shamrock Rovers issues from the time do appear. That Shelbourne one turned up out of the blue relatively recently (this century IIRC).

68/69 appears to be half a season of regular issues which should have included Limerick and Dundalk both in March considering games before and after and in between have known issues.
garyspain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:03 pm 
Post subject: Re: St Patrick’s Athletic lnfo and Queries 51/52-79/80

Flaming Pie wrote:
Here’s a couple of St Patrick’s programmes from the 1950s. With them being big games l don’t think they are particularly rare. Just to add , don’t know much about The Chapelizod Stadium that the 1955 Shamrock Rovers game was played at.

It might be me but I don't see photos.

Quite a few from the mid 50's do appear regularly.

Pats played for a couple of seasons in the 50's in Chapelizod in West Dublin.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:45 pm 
Post subject:

Gary, to see the photos, right click on the icon and open in a new page
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
garyspain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:20 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Gary, to see the photos, right click on the icon and open in a new page

Thanks for that.
garyspain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:08 pm 
Post subject:

Just a further update. It was 1986/87 before Pat O'Callaghan started issuing a regular St Pats programme. There were a number of issues in the 1980's before that but my understanding is that they all turn up reasonably frequently.
seandel1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:45 pm 
Post subject:

cheers Gary, I've been planning on checking with Pat. Looks like most if not all of the Pats homes on my wants list may be non-issues.
smk06

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:05 am 
Post subject:

Apologies to hijack the thread...

Does anyone know the result or have any information on the St Patrick's Athletic v Derby friendly on 5 March 2004?

Derby County home wants:
1982/83 Sunderland Fr (s/s)
Reds v Whites & Whites v Blues 1948-1957
1946/47 Arsenal post 5/2

Derby County away wants:
1968/69 Carlisle post 8/2/69
1946/47 Middlesbrough, Liverpool
1945/46 West Brom

Also looking for Guiseley home programmes pre-1980s.
garyspain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:01 pm 
Post subject:

Just a bit more on this. I have said this before on here as well but worth repeating.

Clubs often were slow to issue for early games in our season traditionally competitions like the Dublin City Cup.

Once a club went out of the FAI Cup you sometimes saw players being let go , interest drop and programmes not produced.

There were sometimes issues with programmes not being delivered. Sometimes given out free at a later date but sometimes pulped.

On a really bad day sometimes programmes were not sold. Again sometimes puled then.

Strikes, holidays , programmes held because of money owed etc.

Even for games I was at I'm still unsure. Limerick didn't issue for much of the 2nd half of the 1970's. However a student produced for some of 1976/77. I was keeping programmes at the time but not really collecting. They were soemtimes sold out when I arrived. I subsequently got the gaps from a collector who also attended every game and asked if he missed one. They normally were gone well before kick off. I still have 3 on my Wants List. 2 of those were possibly non issues due to Easter holidays.

Best guess is programmes were likely to have been done for Pats v Dundalk and v Limerick in 54/55 league and 68/69 league.

1951/52 may always be a mystery.
Legend64

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:39 pm 
Post subject:

smk06 wrote:

Does anyone know the result or have any information on the St Patrick's Athletic v Derby friendly on 5 March 2004?

St Pats 1 (Bird 42)
Derby 3 (Costa 25, McLeod 55 pen, Manel 60)

Don't have a report on it.
smk06

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:30 am 
Post subject:

Legend64 wrote:
smk06 wrote:

St Pats 1 (Bird 42)
Derby 3 (Costa 25, McLeod 55 pen, Manel 60)

Don't have a report on it.

Thank you. I only managed to find the score and Derby scorers in a programme after the friendly so this is useful.

Derby County home wants:
1946/47 Arsenal post 5/2

Derby County away wants:
1945/46 West Brom

smk06

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:36 am 
Post subject:

The Rams in Ireland - new article on the Derby County Memories blog about Derby County's trips to Ireland and Northern Ireland. Thank you to Gary and Legend64 for their help with this.

https://www.derbycountymemories.co.uk/the-rams-in-ireland

Derby County home wants:
1946/47 Arsenal post 5/2

Derby County away wants:
1945/46 West Brom

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: