Football Programmes Centre

RIP the match day programme?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RIP the match day programme?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:09 am 
Post subject:

Indeed.

Say a rare (or even unique?) programme, such as an 1890s FA Cup Final is professionally reproduced, and sold for a few quid, most people know they will never have the original in their collection, so a modern repro is an acceptable substitute to many.

A professional print run from the pdf would be the best equivalent I suppose, seeing as the choice is that, or a memory stick which becomes obselete in 20 years when computer technology moves on significantly.

Although original teamsheets still trump the printed pdf programme!
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:50 am 
Post subject:

Some reaction on the Barnet and Aldershot forums

http://shotsweb.co.uk/phpbb///viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47929

http://www.onlybarnet.com/foru.....9a2d218c91

There is also some comment on Barnet FC's twitter and Facebook

One interesting comment is that is the pdf version actually produced is very much designed as if it were to be printed - it is not laid out like an e-book to be read on an e-reader for example.

Have thought about this a fair bit, and if it were my club I'd definitely be trying to gather enough interest from a small group of collecting die hards to justify a very small professional print run, to sell at cost (for collecting purposes only)

EDIT-
On the positive, it sounds like teamsheets are available from their club shop (which I know is tiny). Hopefully they get swamped with demand for them and then put in place a wider distribution system for the teamsheets
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:16 am 
Post subject:

I just don’t get online programmes at all, if a club go to the bother of putting one together why not get it printed and sell it? If they can’t at least break even then they are doing it wrong.

I would have no interest in reading an online programme.
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:03 am 
Post subject:

I'm in a minority (and it's probably very weird considering how much time I spend on internet forums, facebook, twitter (online) and the internet generally, including ebay) but I don't own a smartphone and have no interest in obtaining one. I can manage perfectly well without one, there are numerous other ways to obtain information than to be fiddling with a phone at every spare moment.

It was noticeable that amongst the programme die hards, particularly on the Barnet facebook and twitter threads where they made the announcement, that there were several 'non-league groundhopper' types who have vowed that they won't go to Barnet any more.

Admittedly these aren't hardened Barnet fans, they are instead lovers of going to live football games, so a tiny minority of even small football attendances.

To these people though, the pleasure is the journey, often using public transport involving their own knowledge and initiative, visiting the ground and chatting with the programme seller or the volunteer in the club shop hut, seeing a game for an affordable price, and coming away with a programme as a momento, from which they would read and learn about the club, their activities, its structure and current set up. An item to mark a journey.

These travelling fans probably don't know many, if any of the players, but are interested to learn them and spot a potential star of the future. Maybe in 5 years time they might learn that Stan Collymore played for Stafford Rangers, and they could check back to that game they went to, and discover they did see him play as a 17 year old.

It's small beer, but in a small way it is a chronicle of history which future fans and collectors will want to look back on.
Rocky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:50 pm 
Post subject:

Middlesbrough produced a 32 page programme for last nights game v Sheffield United priced at £2. This is a reduction from last seasons 70 page + issues priced at £3. No doubt a sign of the times and under the new guidelines it shows the club actually had some deliberation about the way forward.

Although the programme is bigger dimensionally, the reduced content only included 4 full page adverts compared with over 20 pages of similar last season. It definitely has a 90’s feel about it and is a better read without all the dross…but it does feature the return of the dreaded staples. A further reduction in price may even attract new younger collectors to the hobby.

It will be interesting to see what other clubs have done this season in comparison, and also to see what the Premier League clubs produce this weekend. For me the long term viability of the modern day programme points to a reduction in content and price, but this needs to go hand in hand with a reduced print run.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:33 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:
I don't own a smartphone and have no interest in obtaining one.

Me neither!

I suspect there are only about 25 or 30 of us remaining in the UK, though.
Everywhere I look all I see is people staring at the little box in their hands.

It is both amusing and faintly disturbing to see behavioural psychology in action.....
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:27 am 
Post subject:

I am one of the 25 to 30 people that do not own a mobile phone. In fact I absolutely detest the things.
Recently, I received a letter from my GP to phone for an appointment. As I was going into town, I decided to call in to the surgery to make the appointment. Reported to the receptionist to make an appointment, and was swiftly told 'You have to phone to make an appointment'. I said 'Well I'm here now in person, so when can I have an appointment'. The receptionist then said' What is your phone number and I will ring you to make an appointment'. I then informed her that I did not have a phone. She then said to me in a very abrupt and stern manner 'Of course you have a phone!!!! Everyone has one!!!'. I then told her 'Well I don't, so stick you f****** appointment up your ar*e!!!' and promptly walked out of the surgery, much to the amusement and clapping of the very large crowd waiting in the waiting room.
I am also amazed at the people walking around looking into their devices pressing the keys oblivious to the whole world and their immediate surroundings.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:41 am 
Post subject:

Grumpypants wrote:
I am one of the 25 to 30 people that do not own a mobile phone. In fact I absolutely detest the things.
Recently, I received a letter from my GP to phone for an appointment. As I was going into town, I decided to call in to the surgery to make the appointment. Reported to the receptionist to make an appointment, and was swiftly told 'You have to phone to make an appointment'. I said 'Well I'm here now in person, so when can I have an appointment'. The receptionist then said' What is your phone number and I will ring you to make an appointment'. I then informed her that I did not have a phone. She then said to me in a very abrupt and stern manner 'Of course you have a phone!!!! Everyone has one!!!'. I then told her 'Well I don't, so stick you f****** appointment up your ar*e!!!' and promptly walked out of the surgery, much to the amusement and clapping of the very large crowd waiting in the waiting room.
I am also amazed at the people walking around looking into their devices pressing the keys oblivious to the whole world and their immediate surroundings.

You don't have a phone, any phone???
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:57 pm 
Post subject:

Nope!!! As I said, I DETEST THE THINGS. There is a house phone, but not mine. In the incident and on reflection, I wish I had one that day, because I would have stayed in the surgery until she phoned me!!!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:31 pm 
Post subject:

I know these things can be handy at times but so many people now seem to have adapted their entire life so it revolves around them.
When you consider how insidious the smartphone's effect on 99.9% of the population is, it's litttle wonder (sadly) that the whole raison d'etre of the football programme has been brought to the fore.

On a rather more childish level, I've stopped standing aside for people walking down the road gawping into their little box of tricks.
Don't see why I should. If they collide with me, I'm a big lad.
They'll come off worst.
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:40 pm 
Post subject:

I've not subscribed to the Villa fanzine once it went digital. Much to the disgust of the editor who happens to be the Godfather to my children! Programmes, fanzines and the like are part of the experience of the match day and, not being smart phone owner either, I quite happily recount that it's much easier to read the paper fanzine "on the throne" than trying to set up a laptop in the toilet!
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:55 pm 
Post subject:

Palace's programme has shrunk slightly to 'A5' size this season (same number of pages I think)

If that sort of change helps programmes survive, then I'm okay with it
chelseapeter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:42 pm 
Post subject:

CHELSEA PROGRAMES THIS SEASON SHRUNK IN SIZE LIKE C PALACE.BUT 6 MORE PAGES.
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:55 pm 
Post subject:

Re: Phones and their impact.

A wonderful animation from a guy called Steve Cutts;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VASywEuqFd8

Last edited by Goalsandwickets on Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:59 pm 
Post subject:

Re; Texting on phones

Maybe she'll learn a lesson here?;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADOPimz3d6w
se20blue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:00 am 
Post subject: STEVENAGE V SWANSEA CITY U21S EFL TROPHY 28/8/2018

The club are only producing a digital programme for this game.
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:44 pm 
Post subject:

That's sad. Stevenage only did teamsheets for their Pre-season friendly against us. It was free and given away in their club shop 45 mins before ko

There was quite a queue!!!

I think Palace U23 home games (those that aren't behind closed doors) only have a teamsheet as a comparison.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: