Football Programmes Centre

RIP the match day programme?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RIP the match day programme?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:27 am 
Post subject:

De_Duis wrote:
Welcome to Holland 2017/18.

Eredivisie
Ajax - no programme
PSV - no programme
AZ - no programme
Willem II - no programme

FC Twente - folded A4 programme only containing line up and table.

First division
No programmes at the reserve teams from AZ, FC Utrecht, Ajax and PSV.

No programmes at several other clubs.

Many thanks for that information.

One of my lads went to the PSV v NAC Breda game last weekend and was disappointed that he couldn't find me a programme, and said nobody had one.

He couldn't find any in the Ajax shop the day after neither.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:39 am 
Post subject:

My tuppence worth is that this is my last season getting Villa first team programmes. The reasons are as follows:
1. The actual content seems to be inversely proportional to the size of the programme. All style and no substance.
2. The cost (at £3.50) is ridiculous, but would be less so if there was more that was interesting rather than it being a form of club Pravda.
3. Space - although smaller, the thickness remains and they are a bastard to store and, having moved house in the last couple of years, even worse to transport!
4. The final straw for me was, in this season's programme, there's an empty page that asked me to get autographs on it aka a illegible scribble with a number after it. It reminded me of the Family Guy episode where Brian Griffin writes a best seller with empty pages in it - but that was a piss take!

I'll still buy older stuff and friendlies (tend to be a bit more unique), but the current league and cup fodder, you can keep I am afraid.

Over and out!
Wullie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:14 pm 
Post subject:

I read a free newspaper on a flight the other day, and realised it was the first physical newspaper i have read in probably five years. Took me about five minutes to read and i threw it away. It was so boring. I think the same of modern football programmes. I wouldn't touch them. I , like most , get all the information they need from the internet .
mdjw_41

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:19 am 
Post subject:

I for one would be disappointed to see the match day programme end but as others on the thread have said, maybe if they were re-styled that would help a lot. We always buy one, but it's never read and just goes into a box so apart from the addiction of collecting, it's not serving any practical purpose.

If the programme did end, what would collectors do? Would they move onto other momentos for the game (i.e. the teamsheet) or would other older publicaitons become more prominent again to take on this role - something like a fanzine merging more towards an un-official programme or even pirate issues becoming more prominent again?
se20blue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:21 pm 
Post subject:

WoodyCAFC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:48 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the info, se20blue.

It's a sad day indeed. I know those of us who tried to resist this move get called old-fashioned, but personally I love the matchday programmes.

Ever since 1987, I've eagerly looked forward to see what the new season's programme will look like.

And even relegation I've viewed as a cloud with a silver lining - as it's an opportunity to get programmes of clubs my team rarely plays against.

I also must admit that there are games such as friendlies or lower-league cup matches that I've only gone along to, to pick up a programme. Take the programme out of the equation, and I can see myself not bothering to go along. But I am only one among many (unless you're talking about a Checkatrade Trophy game that is!).

I have to say that it’s no surprise to me, as my club (Charlton) been actively running the programme down for a couple of years now, so I think the writing's been on the wall for a whle.

The not-caring attitude has been evident as it’s also been littered with mistakes – it’s a worry when they can’t even spell the club’s name (Carlton appeared more than once) and they even got the day wrong on one of the covers!

It was also heavily rumoured that our now-left CEO actually did try to do away with the programme a couple of years ago, only to discover this now-aborted rule.

I think clubs have also shot themselves in the foot, with the overly big and expensive programmes. They can easily produce a much smaller programme for a fraction of the cost. It doesn't need to be glossy - newspapers generally aren't glossy.

And the annoying thing will be that any attempts by fans to produce even a four-page fan-produced programme will likely be shot down in flames as the EFL are overly protective of things like fixtures and league tables.

On the plus side, we may have seasons where we now easily complete our collections.
DySporting

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:16 pm 
Post subject:

League have met today

Programmes discussed.

Clubs no longer have to produce a programme

Majority will still from what I gather but some won't
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:20 pm 
Post subject:

You would hope that the few that don't produce a programme would at least put a teamsheet online so that people could at least print one of those for themselves
slightfold

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:35 pm 
Post subject:

We can only hope that the clubs who intend not producing should come clean quickly. Perhaps in this there is then an opportunity for those supporters' clubs to produce something, maybe even worthwhile!
bigearl79

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:36 am 
Post subject:

I can confirm that my club, Scunthorpe United, will issue next season for all 23 league games. We have to, as it has been sold as part of our season ticket package. What we actually have available, page/content wise, could be intersesting.
Goonerak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:46 pm 
Post subject:

Not exactly the same, but Arsenal have decided to discontinue their monthly magazine.
Dorking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:51 pm 
Post subject:

I wish Man Utd would discontinue theirs. Never fails to amaze me that every season I go to one of the little booths outside Old Trafford to buy my programme, and despite wearing full away team colours, the vendors are determined to sell me the club magazine alongside the programme! Laughing
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:32 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
I wish Man Utd would discontinue theirs. Never fails to amaze me that every season I go to one of the little booths outside Old Trafford to buy my programme, and despite wearing full away team colours, the vendors are determined to sell me the club magazine alongside the programme! Laughing

The way things were looking at Christmas, worrying about being offered United's club mag was not that important as at that time the liklehood was next season it would not be an issue
Laughing

As you now can come back next season be thankful that you will probably get it offered again!, that has to be your yardstick each season hahahaahaha!

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
cardiff55

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:50 pm 
Post subject:

It will be interesting to see how many, and which clubs, will not issue next season. Will it be like Some teams in Scotland in the 1960s for example? An issue for some games but not for others.

Maybe clubs in Division 2 who get an unattractive home draw in the Carabao Cup just not bother any more, when the crowd would possibly less than a thousand?
bigdavethemaddog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:37 pm 
Post subject:

does anybody know of any EFl clubs not producing a programme next season?
sellsell39

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:11 pm 
Post subject:

Ipswich Town have confirmed today that home football programmes will be available throughout the whole season for 2018/19.

Many Thanks & Regards.
andrewesq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:43 pm 
Post subject:

Seems like no team wants to be the first to say they won’t issue. From a collectors point of view if teams don’t issue will people go for the teamsheet? It will be difficult to claim a complete season if some are programmes and some are teamsheet
se20blue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:00 pm 
Post subject:

according to another thread Fleetwood are not issuing this coming season.

http://www.footballprogrammece.....e67#156520
RIKERBCFC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:57 pm 
Post subject:

Bradford City are producing a programme this season.
Eck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:18 pm 
Post subject:

Rangers produce a digital copy and a hard copy, maybe a transition taking place, they are charging for the digital copy as well, cheeky bastards.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: