Football Programmes Centre

RIP the match day programme?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RIP the match day programme?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WoodyCAFC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:43 pm 
Post subject: RIP the match day programme?

The attached pic is from today’s Charlton programme.

Is anyone on here aware, or concerned, about this attempt to do away with match day programmes?

It makes me laugh that they call it an outdated practice. I know many people who consider going to football matches as an ‘outdated practice ‘.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
WoodyCAFC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:48 pm 
Post subject:

Sorry, I had meant to add that it's being proposed that they do away with the requirement that every league club produces a matchday programme, and it's going to be voted on at the EFL's AGM in June.

Could have serious implications for our hobby?
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:59 pm 
Post subject:

I don't think it is mandatory in the Scottish Leagues

Those not issuing must get badgered beyond belief for teamsheets by the obsessed!

Any club of Charlton's size should just scale it back if it is too much trouble, no need for 80 page whoppas if the sales are just a couple of thousand.

I could see Supporters Club or Trusts taking it over if the clubs cannot be bothered as buying a programme is an essential matchday purchase for many so there will always be sales.
DySporting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:17 pm 
Post subject:

Most clubs I think still would produce one. It’d be jokers such as Fleetwood who wouldn’t bother.
I
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:26 pm 
Post subject:

It's mandatory to a certain level below below the Football League too.

When we were in Conference South (level 6/7) it was a requirement to produce a match day programme.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
De_Duis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:33 pm 
Post subject:

Welcome to Holland 2017/18.

Eredivisie
Ajax - no programme
PSV - no programme
AZ - no programme
Willem II - no programme

FC Twente - folded A4 programme only containing line up and table.

First division
No programmes at the reserve teams from AZ, FC Utrecht, Ajax and PSV.

No programmes at several other clubs.
De_Duis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:36 pm 
Post subject:

And of course oure great national FA.

No programmes at national team.

Some fans are now making programmes for the first team matches.
Like against England. The KNVB does not object those programmes and is suppling some information. As long as the KNVB does not have to produce them.
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:59 pm 
Post subject:

Do collectors still class the fan produced programmes as the match day programme in the absence of anything else available?
paulobee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:37 pm 
Post subject:

You do know the match took place on April 1st? Are you certain it isn't a wind up?! lol
bigearl79

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:41 pm 
Post subject:

DySporting wrote:
Most clubs I think still would produce one. It’d be jokers such as Fleetwood who wouldn’t bother.

To be fair to Fleetwood, this is the model I would go with. £1 for 24 pages seems about right. Our programme at Scunthorpe is £3 for about 70 odd pages, with very little reading in it. If I didn't collect, and it wasn't free to myself as a season ticket holder, I don't know if I would bother with it. What's in a modern programme really worth reading?
stingray

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:41 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
I don't think it is mandatory in the Scottish Leagues

Those not issuing must get badgered beyond belief for teamsheets by the obsessed!

Any club of Charlton's size should just scale it back if it is too much trouble, no need for 80 page whoppas if the sales are just a couple of thousand.

I could see Supporters Club or Trusts taking it over if the clubs cannot be bothered as buying a programme is an essential matchday purchase for many so there will always be sales.

This.

If it's because programmes aren't selling, then simply reduce the number available. I'm sure they have tons of burgers, pies, chips and beer left unsold after the game, but woe betide any club that even hints at ditching these. And is it really necessary for every club to have Sky TV?

The Southern League already give clubs the option of not doing programmes - or at least making them only available online.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:53 pm 
Post subject:

Palace sell a book of programme vouchers each season for £50 and the price hasn't gone up since 2001. You get all the home league programmes plus all the home cup programmes (usually about 2!)

That is much better value than £3.50 per programme x 19 (£66.50) plus maybe a fiver for the couple of cup programmes.

Plus having a voucher is much quicker and easier for both the customer and vendor.

Club know they have a base number of issues to always do and everyone's a winner
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:55 pm 
Post subject:

Rangers, stopped doing a subscription because they can make more money selling on matchdays.
No chance our club are going to give up on a good earner like the match programme.
kcs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:39 am 
Post subject:

Interesting thread. I agree with BigEarl, are modern day issues worth reading and in my opinion nope.
Do I still subscribe - yes, do I read an issue from cover to cover - rarely if ever.

The number of collectors must be a very small percentage of the actual attendance' - so in reality who are clubs actually going to upset if they stop producing them - not too many people.

It is a shame (for us collectors) but if the vote is passed at the AGM then I feel a large number of clubs would stop producing a printed version.

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
New Forest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:42 am 
Post subject:

For my sins I follow a club for which thirty is a sell-out. I much prefer the programmes from the fifties which amounted to just four sides. Some of todays matchday magazines are, in my opinion, far too big and difficult to store. Someone said they don't ever read todays programme from cover to cover.

Why don't clubs who are finding it hard to produce a decent programme just settle for something smaller?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:05 pm 
Post subject:

I quite agree with the last comment.

I stopped buying CPFC programmes after our centenary in 2005 after a lifetime of collecting. I have nowhere left to store them other than the loft or the shed.

A 4pp or maybe 8pp A5 size leaflet/booklet on uncoated paper would be perfect, price @ £1 or whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bluefatnose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:23 pm 
Post subject:

Agree totally Pete. If all programmes were A5 size or smaller, 8-16 pages, with few ads for a quid I'd start collecting modern programmes again. As it is, they are oversized, too thick, too many ads and zero to read in them.
The SFC Chris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:26 pm 
Post subject:

I don't mind the thick programmes, but only if they are actually worth reading. As others have said, it too often seems that Premier League and Football League clubs produce glossy 80-odd page programmes for every match, and then have to find stuff to fill them with. Surely it should be the other way round - think of how much interesting material you have, then make the programme the appropriate size.

A few years back, Stevenage produced a 68 page programme that was consistently excellent in terms of reading matter - very interesting historical articles, interviews, Q&As with players etc. Now they've increased the page count but there's all sorts of crap in there and lots of page space is simply left empty e.g. text only taking up a third of a page.

And as others have said, adverts have become horrendous. Interestingly, I visited West Brom for the first time earlier this season and was disappointed I had to pay £3.50 for a relatively small production. That soon turned to excitement when I discovered that there were zero adverts other than a couple of pages with club products!
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:02 pm 
Post subject:

The sheer thickness and weight of them is silly really. In the Pre almost all clubs issue a 'perfect bound' programme (ie with a 'spine')

A complete season of home and aways completely fills a 19litre XL plastic crate (thanks Leslie for the tip -they are perfect!) and when full it weighs a ton!

I do love a whopping FA Cup Final Hardback though!
De_Duis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:19 am 
Post subject:

Jamesy1926 wrote:
Do collectors still class the fan produced programmes as the match day programme in the absence of anything else available?

Some do, but I don't.
I finished collecting Holland programmes some years ago.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: