Football Programmes Centre

Mystery keeper - Scottish? Partick Thistle?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mystery keeper - Scottish? Partick Thistle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:18 pm 
Post subject: Mystery keeper - Scottish? Partick Thistle?

I came across this photo recently and have asked a couple of experts for their thoughts. Although they have some good ideas they aren't 100% sure so I thought I'd ask here in case one of you guys might be able to verify.

It's unstamped, undated and just has a printed number on the back, meaning nothing. One expert has said it's definitely Firhill, home of Partick Thistle, probably post-war. He went on to say it could be Jimmy Steadward, who played for Thistle from 1944 to 1947 and made about 58 appearances in all competitions. Before then, in war-time, he played for Queen's Park in over 100 games.

After leaving Thistle, he turned out for Dundee once in 1947/8, Hamilton on loan 48/9 playing 18 times, Stirling Albion 1950-2 playing 32 games, and Dunfermline once in 1952/3. He ended up coaching at Strathclyde.

So can anyone confirm or deny this is Jimmy Steadward, or not, and if not, who might it be, please?

All help gratefully accepted as always. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:04 pm 
Post subject: Mystery keeper

With him being a Scot, l know it’s not , but he has got a look of that great old Wolves and England goalie Bert Williams?
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:04 pm 
Post subject:

Here's a team photo with Jimmy Steadward in it
http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry-mobile.com/m/page/1944-45
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:26 pm 
Post subject:

Wow, what a great photo of Thistle - and Jimmy stood next to the legend that is Bill Shankly too! Can't be sure it's Jimmy in my photo though, not easy comparing a face from the front and in profile.

As rgds Bert Williams, oddly enough the bloke flogging it said it looked like Bert but he discounted that because he was sure it's a Scottish keeper.

None the wiser but I am sure it's Firhill, post-war if only just.

Thanks guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: