Football Programmes Centre

Stigma attached to collecting 80s, 90s and now
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Stigma attached to collecting 80s, 90s and now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brem75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:40 pm 
Post subject: Stigma attached to collecting 80s, 90s and now

Hi, Ive been a "lurker" on this site for many years and never thought the need to post but i just wanted thoughts / discussion on this.

My collection is Stockport from 84 to 2013. I started going in 84 and i dont feel the need to collect before. My collection is not about money as i know its worth nothing but it means alot to me. Its a time machine to when football was great (in my opinion) and County were half decent!!
I still struggle with some items and i only buy every couple of months due to the normal financial constraints of kids, mortgages and bills so ive still got loads to get.

If anyone "mocks" me for collecting 80s and 90s then surely that reflects poorly on them.

If you want to collect pre war and make a fortune.. good luck to you. Im happy with my lot.

Please tell me i am right!!??? Smile
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:50 pm 
Post subject:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It doesn't matter who has the biggest, who has the best, who has the most expensive in my opinion. If that's your collecting area and you get enjoyment out of then what's the problem.

Just enjoy what you have and collect what you want. It's all about enjoyment.
TheSorter!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:57 pm 
Post subject: stigma

I've got plenty of programmes that are worth very little from all decades. They include a lot of Bradford P.A. programmes from their last few league seasons. Most of them common but lovely pieces of history to me! Smile
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:32 am 
Post subject:

Collect what pleases you and you won't go far wrong Brem.
It's the fundamental first of the hobby.

If you're laying out serious coin, then yes, it makes sense to have one eye on any potential re-sale value, but that should only ever be a safety net, and not the reason.

The 80s was my favourite era too mate.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:25 am 
Post subject: Stigma attached to collecting 80s, 90s and now

The beauty of collecting is that there is no right or wrong Brem.

Collect what makes you happy and you won't go far wrong.

My Spurs programme collection goes back to the 1920's, but any resale value is irrelevant because I'm never going to sell it.

My heart is in the 1970's-1990's programmes as that was when I was travelling around the country with the Spurs and they all have memories for me.
The earlier ones have history that I only saw on on videos etc as my first trip to the Lane was in 1968.

Having the "must complete the set" kind of nature, I know that I will probably never have a full set, but if I keep chipping away at the gaps in my collection, I will be happy.
beaudog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:37 pm 
Post subject: Stigma attached to collecting 80s 90s and now

Collect whatever you want.
It is your business and it's what gives you pleasure.
If there is a relevance to your collecting, that is, they are games you have been to good luck to you. Lots of lovely memories.
People who comment in derisory fashion are often ignorant of your reasons for collecting certain items and are often a little envious that you have a passion. I have friends who deride my passions, particularly steam railways and 60s music but I bat their sarcasm away and I am a happy soul.
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:22 am 
Post subject:

I echo the sentiments of the members when I say, collect what makes you happy.

I collect anything from the Welsh non league and know my collection will never really be worth much. As my collecting was somewhat aimless, I have now started collecting Welsh Cup Finals and Welsh Clubs in Europe which cost a bit more though.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:02 pm 
Post subject:

Well I would like to have my twopenneth if I may.

I have always maintained that it is not about the most expensive or the rarest or the biggest or whatever else some folks think it is all about.

Yes I probably have a considerable amount tied up for sure, but I still buy some recent items from the 1970-1990's if I think it will fit in with other items.

I still buy the current seasons[do not know why as I have never read them home or away for years] but I have not decided to jump off that treadmill, maybe this season will be the last for that type of item.

Anyway, this is not about me but it is confirming that whatever you collect and at whatever level, if as they say if it makes you feel good-then do it.

For some collectors it is not about the money it is about the passion for collecting. What fun is it to buy someone's entire collection then sit there like a smug fat cat saying look at me-all that has happened is that someone has paid a ton of cash to buy a near finished article-that is not collecting that is about investing pure and simple.

I know that 1000's off my 1960's to the present day programmes and other bits are pretty worthless, BUT they are part of the club I support and make up the history and from time to time I will go back and look through them and remember those days and times.

You keep doing it as it suits you and the same sentiments to every other collector-me included. Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:35 pm 
Post subject:

Brem, I gather my collection is somewhat unique as I only collect programmes from games my all time footballing hero the late Derek Dougan played in, I have something like seven hundred programmes, so just collect what and when you want to regardless buddy.
I even got a mention in David Roberts book 32 programmes for my unique mode of collecting.
Brem75

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:10 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for all the responses!

Much appreciated. If i ever came into a large amount of money, i may venture out of my current date range but until that day, ill stick to what i know.

Thanks again!
Bertie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:45 pm 
Post subject:

I collect a number of clubs non league to my boyhood team Wolves.
Wolves go back to the 1940s but my non league collection is mainly 60s to 90s

Collect what makes you happy and enjoy the buzz of completing a season or finding that postponed game for a £1.00
Footyfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:57 pm 
Post subject:

The beauty of collecting is it allows you to collect what you want. I still enjoy envelopes popping through the letterbox bringing new items. and enjoy the search for the elusive item.

My Leeds collection covers the era when I was a regular at games and I can readily identify with both the time and also the actual games. It is predominantly from the mid 1950s to mid 1970s when Leeds were a 'big' club and also the club's most successful period. I have added other items as and when I come across for interest.

I made a decison not to collect complete seasons post 1975, having left Leeds and now live some 300 miles away, but mainly due to space. Since 1975 I have added 1st and Last Home game (for season stats) and all cup competitions (H&A) and find this gives me a great cross section of clubs spread across all divisions includinf some non league clubs.

The 'problem' will be what to do with the collection, my wife and daughters will not be interested?
Thedoog10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:11 pm 
Post subject:

I will have the Leeds v Peterborough friendly 63 /64 Please. ❤️.
richmer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:26 am 
Post subject:

Well think of it this way, if people think prewar collections would make a fortune today, then just imagine that your 80s and 90s collection would make a fortune years in the future!

Moreover, a collection is supposed to illicit a feeling of well-being and satisfaction. So you're doing it right- that you don't need to look for validation of your collection elsewhere.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:45 pm 
Post subject:

I agree that there were former highly active members on this site who were more focussed on the value of an item and considered modern items to be worthless tat. However the vast majority of collectors on here have no bias or condescension towards any collection. In fact I would suggest that although a large number of collectors on here have many valuable items they would get more misty-eyed about the programmes from games they attended as youngsters or young adults whether that was in the 60s or 70s or 80s or 90s. It is the nostalgia that keeps this hobby interesting. For those people for whom this is not a hobby but an investment then of course it is the older stuff that is generally more valued. But a true collector does it for more nostalgic altruistic and interest reasons.

My collection covers many decades however I get as much joy out of a 70s or 80s programme as I do from a prewar one because they bring back the emotion and adrenaline of having been there and remembering the awe I felt towards every player.

So with regards your question, you just collect what gives you most enjoyment.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: