Football Programmes Centre

Manchester United vs Huddersfield Town (Ebay)
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Manchester United vs Huddersfield Town (Ebay)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markb9060

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:52 pm 
Post subject: Manchester United vs Huddersfield Town (Ebay)

I've just been having a browse on Ebay. I haven't bought for ages but like to periodically check the state of play as regarding sales.

Simply typing in "Manchester United" in the programmes section came up with some very strange auctions and Bins regarding Saturday's Huddersfield game.

Basically because it's near the 60th anniversary of Munich, United obviously put a few things together with their programme. I wasn't there and don't go nowadays for reasons too numerous to mention, so can only presume that a printed 'letter', badge etc were freebie souvenirs to compliment the programme...don't quote me.

Point is, I again presume this stuff was mass produced but if it's as I think it is ie a nice gesture by the club to commemorate the tragedy.

Some of the auctions selling this stuff are ridiculous with bidding wars going through the roof. My (not rocket science) assumption that a lot of these auctions are just plain dodgy not to mention the silly Bin asking prices. One bidder with a red star & 3938 transactions is heavily involved in at least 2 of these auctions which are hitting the £1000 mark each.

From what I can see in these items, I'd put a conservative estimate at £15 value...but I could be wrong. Who cares ?!

I was shocked to read a post from Five and In on this forum a short while ago regarding his Subbuteo sale and how he was totally ripped of by a buyer (I'm being polite) and had absoloutely zero help from Ebay.

My final and overall point ends in a question....

Is this where we are at with Ebay nowadays;

Endless auctions, rife with shill bidding, completely unchecked where the fraudsters are given a safe platform to take without paying and apparently operate without any fear of reprisal? ....surely not ?!

Sherlock
holtie96

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:05 pm 
Post subject: Man utd

Hi
I noticed that too and would like one of these packs but may have to wait until the madness dies down and they start to sell for sensible money
However the big £1000 bids I assume are people winding up sellers, perhaps people who dont feel it right to cash in? Or is it money laundering? Who knows? Similar dodgy sales have taken place over 'rare' pound coins and 50ps on eBay take a look at sold items
Only my opinion before I get sued! Laughing
markb9060

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:11 pm 
Post subject: Re: Man utd

holtie96 wrote:
Hi
I noticed that too and would like one of these packs but may have to wait until the madness dies down and they start to sell for sensible money
However the big £1000 bids I assume are people winding up sellers, perhaps people who dont feel it right to cash in? Or is it money laundering? Who knows? Similar dodgy sales have taken place over 'rare' pound coins and 50ps on eBay take a look at sold items
Only my opinion before I get sued! Laughing

Good point about the sales possibly being in bad taste but that doesn't solve my other problem regarding buyers just ripping people off...
I know, confusing...two points in one !! Surprised
martino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:18 am 
Post subject:

A couple of questions:

What was the actual cost of the Manchester United v Huddersfield pack?

Was the programme offered for sale on its own?

Who publishes the Man Utd programmes? They may have stocks for sale at reasonable prices.

I am looking for this programme as well. Given that Man Utd must sell many thousands of programmes for each match then hopefully the demand will slow down soon.
bigdavethemaddog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 am 
Post subject:

martino wrote:
A couple of questions:

Who publishes the Man Utd programmes? They may have stocks for sale at reasonable prices.

I am looking for this programme as well. Given that Man Utd must sell many thousands of programmes for each match then hopefully the demand will slow down soon.

http://www.sportmediashop.com/.....le-issues/

they appear to have sold out on there bit ive often fouind if you give them a ring they often have an odd copy 'knocking around'
martino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:49 am 
Post subject:

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
martino wrote:
A couple of questions:

http://www.sportmediashop.com/.....le-issues/

they appear to have sold out on there bit ive often fouind if you give them a ring they often have an odd copy 'knocking around'

Thanks for the quick reply.
kstand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:04 pm 
Post subject:

The packs were on every seat in the ground, and I’m sure I read on a United forum that match day programmes weren’t being sold outside the ground seperatly.
martino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:36 pm 
Post subject:

[quote="kstand"]The packs were on every seat in the ground, and I’m sure I read on a United forum that match day programmes weren’t being sold outside the ground seperatly.[/quot

Thanks for the information. So there are at least 70,000 odd packs knocking around. Wait for a few weeks and hopefully the price will drop.
markb9060

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:19 am 
Post subject:

If you go into the 'Advanced' feature on Ebay and look under 'Sold' for the two auctions that I was referring to, you will notice that they sold for
£5,100 and £6,800 !!! Shocked
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:34 am 
Post subject:

Judging by twitter, United fans are not happy about these packs being put on ebay and as the packs were left on seats, quite a few of them went 'missing' and have inevitably ended up on ebay.

Wouldn't surprise me if people were bidding up just to hack off the sellers.
markb9060

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:16 am 
Post subject:

Thanks everyone for your imput.

A bit naive of United to leave this stuff on the seats.

I tend to agree with the idea that these auctions were bid up by disgruntled United fans.

Which all comes back to my other point regarding Ebay....I can just imagine how it went;

Ebay..."You say the winner of the auction has changed his/her mind Sir? (£6,500)

Seller...."Yes, and what are you going to do about it?"

Ebay...."Not a lot!!" Laughing
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: