Football Programmes Centre

Fittings on Old Badges
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fittings on Old Badges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UEFA-Collector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:55 pm 
Post subject: Fittings on Old Badges

I'm not a huge collector of badges but some interesting "vintage" looking ones have been appearing on Ebay of late but they look exceptionally "clean", really shiny and have pin fittings on the rear when I would expect a button hole fitting.

Is there a market for repros of old badges with pin fittings rather than the button hole fittings?

When did the button hole fittings start to disappear from the back of badge?

Thanks for any info.
Thumbs Up
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:37 am 
Post subject:

Dating a couple of buttonhole badges that I have they disappeared in the early sixties but didn't replace the brooch style pin.

The brooch style pin has been on badges since they started, if you look at the FA Wembley Steward/Superintendent badge they have brooch pins

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1932-FA-Cup-Final-ARSENAL-v-NEWCASTLE-UNITED-Superb-Football-Steward-Pin-Badge/312039865881?hash=item48a7067e19:g:4~8AAOSwiOdZusCz
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:06 am 
Post subject:

Yes early / mid Sixties would be about right - buttonhole fittings fell out of favour when young chaps stopped wearing suits en masse as everyday attire.

As Gresty rightly says though, pin-clasp rears had always been around.

The butterfly clasp we see so often nowadays was a more modern thing, beginning in and around around the Eighties I would guess at - although the European badges had employed a similar fitting much earlier, with the screw-on rears.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
UEFA-Collector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:28 am 
Post subject:

Very interesting, thank you.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: