Football Programmes Centre

Hawick RA v Gala Fairydean Scots Cup 17.12.66 Press Photo
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hawick RA v Gala Fairydean Scots Cup 17.12.66 Press Photo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:06 pm 
Post subject: Hawick RA v Gala Fairydean Scots Cup 17.12.66 Press Photo

Well, I've been doing this for nearly 20 years now and I've never before come by a press photo featuring 2 Scottish clubs from the East of Scotland League, as it was then (I think).

17th December 1966 - Scottish Cup, 1st preliminary round

Hawick Royal Albert 4 Gala Fairydean 1

A lovely scenic view of the Hawick ground, Albert Park, in 1966/7, a season in which they won the EOS league championship.

But that's as far as it goes I'm afraid, so I have a few questions for our esteemed Scottish fraternity on this board please.

Hawick in royal blue, and presumably Gala Fairydean in red. Both have white trims, white shorts, and socks have white turnovers. It looks like the player right may have a button-down front while the player left has a wide open front to his collar. So my first question is - which is which? Does anyone have any ideas please?

Secondly, does anyone recognise any of the players?

Thirdly, has anyone ever watched a game on this ground?

I look forward to hearing from someone. I'm sure someone can answer at least one of these questions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Merseman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:58 pm 
Post subject:

I've watched a few games at Albert Park down the years.

In those days these 'local rivals' were the big guns in southern senior non-league fitba.

They shared every EOSL title during 1960s and several South Qual cups.

Nowadays we find Gala mid-table in Lowland (tier 5) and Hawick low down their EOSL First Division conference (tier 7 - they will probably drop into tier 8 when it is founded next season).

Gala became Gala Fairydean Rovers in 2013 after a local merger. Hawick similarly became Hawick Royal Albert United last year.

Ground little altered 50yrs on although they installed floodlights in 1980s.

Sadly it regularly floods to a depth of several feet when neighbouring River Teviot bursts its banks, including last winter. Hopefully a massive new flood protection scheme for Hawick will alleviate that.

Hillside now forested. They tweeted this picture from same spot last week:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ee512BlWAAEOcf6?format=jpg
Leigh Treymaine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:34 pm 
Post subject: HAWICK R.A.

Many thanks Merseman. A lovely picture, as is the press photo, Peter.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:11 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you Merseman, great information. I knew it was out there somewhere.

I can imagine the weather rolling in off that hill, now given some protection by the newly planted woodland. It makes a change to see a wood there now but not 50 years ago, it's usually the other way round.

Hoping that the flood prevention works for the club.

Cheers Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: