Football Programmes Centre

Munich 60
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Munich 60

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Forest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:34 am 
Post subject: Munich 60

I don't remember where I was when Kennedy died. Yet I easily recall hearing about the Munich disaster. I was playing football in the street with my cousin when my aunt came round the corner and broke the news. I could hardly take it in.

Had they all survived how good would Manchester United have been. We shall never know. Sixty years, where did the time go, [/b]
silkman1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:33 am 
Post subject:

I was in the house and listened to the radio. Then on the black and white TV.

If those who perished had survived I firmly believe they would have become the best team in world football and England would have won the world Cup in 1962.

Sadly the world of football, especially at the top level, has changed and not for the better.

They were magnificent players from another generation.
beaudog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:11 pm 
Post subject: Munich 60

One of my regrets is that I never saw the " Babes" live playing, although I did have the opportunity. But that is another story.
As a 14 year old, coming in from school, and opening our corner-shop door, my mother greeted me with the information that there had been a plane crash, carrying some football team, and there were casualties.
I turned on the radio and waited for the news bulletin at the top of the hour. Then the details started to emerge and I can remember how shocked and saddened I felt as United were held in such high regard by many.
Later that year in Sweden, there had been a great chance for world cup glory. but ripping the heart out of a team in the names of Roger Bryne, Tommy Taylor and the irreplaceable Duncan Edwards was too great to overcome.
60 years, where have they gone? But the memories are still there and my thoughts will be with those events on that black day on February6th. My total respect to them all.
holtie96

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:35 pm 
Post subject: Munich

I have for years kept any memorabilia with reference to Munich, I don't think I will ever truly appreciate the magnitude of that fateful day

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: