Football Programmes Centre

Rusty staples...
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rusty staples...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WoodyCAFC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:14 pm 
Post subject: Rusty staples...

Hello,

What does everyone do - or recommend - about rusty staples in programmes?

Personally, I leave them as is if they're not too bad, but if they're really rusty and starting to affect the paper, then I take them out.

I realise that probably affects the value of the programme, but I collect for fun and enjoyment - not for financial reasons or with a resale value in mind. Plus, I figure that a stapleless programme might be better in the long run than one that's nearly completely disintigrated.

What does everyone else do? I'm sure I'm not the only one to have bought programmes from the 60s, 70s and even 80s that were advertised as being in VG condition, only to find they've got rusty staples. And it then seems petty to return them if you've got them for a very good price.

Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:22 pm 
Post subject: Rusty staples

I'm pretty much the same as you Woody.
I don't have a problem with rusty staples if the programme is going into my collection,provided it is not causing major issues.
If that is the case, I am happy to take the staples out.
However, if the programme is one that I am selling, I will always state that there are rusty staples when listing. That way any potential buyer is aware up front.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:36 pm 
Post subject:

If you are storing the programme in a dry atmosphere (which you should be doing anyway!) then the staple wont rust anymore, so I just leave them as they are.

If you store them eg in an unheated garage/outbuilding, then they will probably continue to rust in a damp atmosphere.
WoodyCAFC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:45 pm 
Post subject: Re: Rusty staples

Five and In wrote:
I'm pretty much the same as you Woody.
I don't have a problem with rusty staples if the programme is going into my collection,provided it is not causing major issues.
If that is the case, I am happy to take the staples out.
However, if the programme is one that I am selling, I will always state that there are rusty staples when listing. That way any potential buyer is aware up front.

Thanks for your reply!
WoodyCAFC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:50 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
If you are storing the programme in a dry atmosphere (which you should be doing anyway!) then the staple wont rust anymore, so I just leave them as they are.

If you store them eg in an unheated garage/outbuilding, then they will probably continue to rust in a damp atmosphere.

Thanks for your reply.

It's given me food for thought. Certainly my older, rarer programmes are most definitely in the dry, and in binders, but I've got plastic boxes of more recent issues stored elsewhere - where it is unheated.

Haven't had them out in years, so I think I need to check on them asap!

It'll be a shame if they are rusting as I have no where else to store them - which would then lead me to the only logical next step of stopping collecting the bigger, new progs and possibly getting rid of what I've got before they start rusting.

It'll be a shame, but I can't ever see me getting more storage space.

I always thought they'd be Ok in the boxes, as the place they're in doesn't seem to be damp - but it is something I'd never considered before, so thanks for your thoughts.
Daveyboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:52 pm 
Post subject:

Remove the staples
WoodyCAFC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:55 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks, Daveyboy!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:56 pm 
Post subject:

WoodyCAFC wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

It's given me food for thought. Certainly my older, rarer programmes are most definitely in the dry, and in binders, but I've got plastic boxes of more recent issues stored elsewhere - where it is unheated.

Haven't had them out in years, so I think I need to check on them asap!

It'll be a shame if they are rusting as I have no where else to store them - which would then lead me to the only logical next step of stopping collecting the bigger, new progs and possibly getting rid of what I've got before they start rusting.

It'll be a shame, but I can't ever see me getting more storage space.

I always thought they'd be Ok in the boxes, as the place they're in doesn't seem to be damp - but it is something I'd never considered before, so thanks for your thoughts.

If it's the modern plastic storage box type with a lid which clips shut, and they are modern programmes, they should be OK but there's no guarantee long term. Obviously you can't really remove the staples from these anyway.

Older stuff stored in the house is perfectly fine.
slightfold

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:01 pm 
Post subject:

This is a perennial subject and problem, and has been covered on here several times before. Posters are correct insofar as you have to keep out the air which carries the moisture which causes the rust. For me if staples are starting to bleed into the paper (when I get items like this) I take them out as I think they can still carry on staining. If the rust is very slight I leave it. Personally I do not think programmes are devalued much even if at all if they have been carefully removed. I collect paper and not scrap metal.
Because of space considerations I do not have the luxury of shelves of folders but store same size issues together in double click lock plastic bags (to keep out the air) and then in right size cardboard boxes. This does not give the greatest access I will admit but which I fine for me as I am focussed on my wants anyway, but my programmes are kept in great condition.
WoodyCAFC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:21 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks everyone for the replies, all are really helpful - and sorry for repeating a previous subject, I'm not on here very often, and did do a search before posting but couldn't find any previous threads.

Cheers!
tackler7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:52 pm 
Post subject:

If you remove the staples then consider using a fine needle and thread to go through the existing holes to keep the pages together.
WoodyCAFC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:26 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks, tackler7!

I must admit, I considered doing the same thing, but with a new staple.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Too tricky to even attempt? Or would the original rust that seeped into the paper then likely to seep back onto the new staple?
roughyedz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:12 am 
Post subject:

I used to leave staples in 40 years ago when i started collecting programmes, but 20 years later realised my mistake ( too late ) If threre is the slightest trace of rust on any programme it all depends on the age and value. If its a valuable programme i remove the staple, and either
A) send it off to have rust removed to Programme Preservation.
B) if rust not too bad I add new staple or leave without.
Looking to the future when im dead and gone any without staples may end up with pages missing and will be of no use to anyone in the future.
If in the future another collector doesnt like the "new" staple it can easily be removed, without any detroment.
Footyfan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:03 pm 
Post subject:

The now defunct British Programme Club, a club for serious collectors (run by the late Norman Lovett I think) had an artice on collecting n an earkly Football League Review magazine in the 1960s and it recommemded removing staples from programmes.

I will try and find the article over the weekend and post the information.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: