Football Programmes Centre

DIRECTORS ISSUE
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
DIRECTORS ISSUE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Footyfan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:11 pm 
Post subject: DIRECTORS ISSUE

Before the arrival of the modern glossy magazine style programmes we see today most programmes were printed on cheap paper.

However, a number of clubs used to print a small number of a better quality paper programmes for those lucky enough to have access to the Directors Box. I know Derby County and Blackburn Rovers used to do this (pre 1970).

An example is here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DERBY-COUNTY-V-ROTHERHAM-UNITED-26-AUGUST-1959-GLOSSY-DIRECTORS-ISSUE/231021266911?hash=item35c9f0c7df:g:66EAAOxyXTRR75Qo

Did any other clubs follow this practice?

Thanks in advance for any information provided.
slightfold

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:50 pm 
Post subject:

Cardiff City did in the early 60's, I believe the correct term is art paper? The complimentary programmes for the internationals played at Ninian Park,around that era, the ones with the red ribbons instead of staples, were also on the same heavier better quality paper.
Doubtless there are other issuers of similar ilk.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:31 pm 
Post subject: Re: DIRECTORS ISSUE

Footyfan wrote:
Before the arrival of the modern glossy magazine style programmes we see today most programmes were printed on cheap paper.

However, a number of clubs used to print a small number of a better quality paper programmes for those lucky enough to have access to the Directors Box. I know Derby County and Blackburn Rovers used to do this (pre 1970).

An example is here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DERBY-COUNTY-V-ROTHERHAM-UNITED-26-AUGUST-1959-GLOSSY-DIRECTORS-ISSUE/231021266911?hash=item35c9f0c7df:g:66EAAOxyXTRR75Qo

Did any other clubs follow this practice?

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

West Ham United for sure Pre-War

I have some examples of other seasons but here are the 2 different ones from 1935-6, when Manchester United won the 2nd Division Championship.

https://flic.kr/p/q9As5G
https://flic.kr/p/r6s5Z8
https://flic.kr/p/r6AXUH
https://flic.kr/p/qPbd4n
https://flic.kr/p/22pMsgZ
https://flic.kr/p/22mzwX5

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:12 pm 
Post subject: DIRECTORS ISSUE

It is my understanding Leslie that the white version is the directors issue but, not being an aficionado of the Hammers, maybe one or two will confirm or otherwise. Of course, you may already know and also confirm.

Also, Manchester United have issued many directors issues over the years, most of them are identical to the bulk issues apart from a little wording: do you consider these limited issues to be more collectable (and therefore more valuable) in your opinion. Just to let you know, my humble opinion is I do think they are more collectable but the increase in value is negligible. If a completely different programme was issued then that is a different matter but I am not aware that United have done this (a separate issue), but maybe they have?
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:24 pm 
Post subject: Re: DIRECTORS ISSUE

Topbidwinsagain wrote:
It is my understanding Leslie that the white version is the directors issue but, not being an aficionado of the Hammers, maybe one or two will confirm or otherwise. Of course, you may already know and also confirm.

Also, Manchester United have issued many directors issues over the years, most of them are identical to the bulk issues apart from a little wording: do you consider these limited issues to be more collectable (and therefore more valuable) in your opinion. Just to let you know, my humble opinion is I do think they are more collectable but the increase in value is negligible. If a completely different programme was issued then that is a different matter but I am not aware that United have done this (a separate issue), but maybe they have?

Yes the White version is the Directors Copy-I should have said so.

Personally, the United Director editions maybe are more collectable but I also agree that there is nothing in it price wise. Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
kcs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:26 pm 
Post subject:

I have seen a Leeds v Nelson 1923/24 directors programme.

Think it just had an outer sleeve but was the normal programme within.

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:28 pm 
Post subject:

kcs wrote:
I have seen a Leeds v Nelson 1923/24 directors programme.

Think it just had an outer sleeve but was the normal programme within.

THAT would be an arm and a leg, actually both legs Laughing

colchestersid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:25 pm 
Post subject:

West Ham did directors issues up to 1949/50 - heavier white paper but apart from that the same as the regular issues

Helliar & Sons also did bound volumes for directors in the 1950s and 1960s, I have some produced for Brian Cearns
kcs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:36 pm 
Post subject:

I can't the complete programme but this is pretty good:

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/26-04-1924%20LUFC%20v%20Nelson.htm

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
stanwick1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:16 pm 
Post subject:

Copy of the Leeds/Nelson programme cover and team line-ups. Game played 26th april 1924 after Leeds had won promotion. A similar programme cover was issued on april 30th for the west riding cup game against Halifax Town.

whitenoize

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:34 pm 
Post subject:

colchestersid wrote:
West Ham did directors issues up to 1949/50 - heavier white paper but apart from that the same as the regular issues

Helliar & Sons also did bound volumes for directors in the 1950s and 1960s, I have some produced for Brian Cearns

I've got R G Brandon's bound set from 1959 to 1976 Sid
garyspain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:05 pm 
Post subject:

This is purely out of interest now as the programme is long gone.

Just over 11 years ago I bought a collection of programmes from a guy who had them since he was a child and had written away to clubs in the 1950's and 60's and bought some stuff from David Stacey. He stopped in the 1960's.

One of them was Hartlepool v Manchester United 1957 in the FA Cup. The programme was glossy and had no raffle number.

Now there is a reprint but I believe it has a raffle number and is matt. The original held by other collectors is also matt.

I sold it on ebay and the buyer brought it to Old Trafford and had it confirmed as a reprint by other collectors. I also corresponded with Leslie at the time. Every copy he had seen had a raffle number. I obviously gave the buyer a full refund. I subsequently sold it as seen in person to another collector for a fraction of the then value of an original with all the info above.

My own thoughts at the time were that it could have been a director's copy. It felt 50 years old at the time. I am still convinced the original vendor was telling the truth and he had it since he was a child. Given it is so rare I assume it sold out on the day but somebody writing from Ireland may have been sent a director's copy.

This thread has reminded me of the story and I have managed to dig up some of the emails from but not unfortunately any scans.

Any thoughts? Anyone seen a glossy Hartlepool 1950's issue with no raffle number?
Footyfan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 pm 
Post subject:

The link for a Derby County issue I have posted in my original post raises the subject of Directors issues not having a raffle/lucky programme No on it.

I would imagine it would not be good PR for a Director or his guest to win the raffle!

Why would anyone go to the trouble of removing the 'raffle' No but replicating everything else when doing a reprint?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: