Football Programmes Centre

Annual (ish) Barcelona trip
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Annual (ish) Barcelona trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:06 pm 
Post subject: Annual (ish) Barcelona trip

Being lovers of the beautifult Catalunyan city my wife and I decided to go over there for a long weekend, and to combine it with a sense of history as the Referendum was to take place, hence the booking.

We've been to Barcelona many times, as well as Girona, and love the whole Catalunyan culture - and I always get time to myself to go ducking and diving looking for football memorabilia. Have had some wonderful stuff over the years, including 10 bound volumes from 1949-50 through to 1959-60 (one was a double of 58 and 59) in our first visit back in 2003.

My favourite place always used to be a wee street called Banny Nous, just around the corner from our hotel on the that first visit. It was a veritable wonderland of collector's shops, and had bucketloads of Barca memorabilia at very reasonable prices - bar tickets, which I've never indulged in over there as they're too complicated to work out, with no names of opposition, or even dates sometimes.

Unfortunately Banny Nous is now part of the mass gentrification of the City and the last decent shop down there moves to a new location not too far away next week - but not before I managed to find it open on Saturday. "Anything Barcelona FC por favor?" The woman went through to the back of the shop and came through with a few bits and bobs but nothing of interest. "Anything else, por favor?" She sighed, went back, had another look and came back with a fair bit of stuff this time, but all big by the look of it.

When she put it on the table in front of me the legs started going. Beautiful Barcelona large match posters from the late 1950s through to the early 1960s, as follows:-

1959-60 vs Inter Milan European Cup

1959-60 vs Elche Liga 1 (now La Liga)

1963-4 vs Real Madrid Liga 1

1963-4 v Anderlecht friendly

1964-5 vs Real Madrid Liga 1

1965-6 vs Real Zaragoza Liga 1

1965-6 vs Royal Antwerp ICFC

Stunningly beautiful items but hadn't raised my hopes as they were probably out of my reach as there's a huge market for these things in the city by antique dealers who ruthlessly copy them to folk on for a few Euros - not even good copies at that. Turned them over to find all the 1960s ones were all priced at just 30E each. They were wanting 50E for the Elche one, but having indicated I'd buy the others she let me have that one for 30E as well. They wanted 80E for the Inter Milan one, it being their first ever season in the European Cup - knocked thenm down to 60E so got a wonderful collection of Barca matchday posters for 240E, or just under £30 each which I reckon was a good buy.

On the Sunday I attedned the book collectors market at Sant Antoni market which is the kind of place collectors can possibly turn over some great finds, and I have done in the past. Was slow this year and nothing much happening until I got to the end of the main market and went on to the dozen or so other stalls running at an angle to the main market. Picked up 14 Barca 40s and early 50s programmes for a combined cost of 66E, so just over £4.50 each which I reckon was a decent buy. A few other bits and bobs rounded off a good day. Collector's amrket at Placa Reail was sadly down to four stalls with it raining and being outside. It's mainly a coin fair although you do get all types of collectables there - cigar bands, badges, postcards etc. Always worth a look in.

Few other places - in front of the cathedral there's a doen or so stalls every day at this time of year, but unlikely to find bargains there. The same at the wee market down by their version of Nelson's Coulmn down by the docks. It's a fascinating place to go for a long weekend - as long as you keep your head out of reach of Guardia Cilvil Police batons - and there really are some great finds to be had. Back again next year for more.
bluefatnose

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:49 pm 
Post subject:

I'm hoping it wasn't you buying their posters that caused the riot! Seriously though the posters sound great.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:52 pm 
Post subject:

If I can get some scans transferred from the tablet onto my computer I'll get them up - afraid am a bit of a Ludite where such things are concerned though!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: