Football Programmes Centre

Southend away friendlies in Ireland
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Southend away friendlies in Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southend_Loyal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:48 pm 
Post subject: Southend away friendlies in Ireland

Interested in the following friendlies in Ireland featuring Southend United as the away team

1962/63 - Shamrock Rovers, Cork Hibs

Thanks
Steve
garyspain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:31 pm 
Post subject:

Nothing known for Shamrock Rovers and very unlikely there was anything done.

There was a programme for Cork Hibs. It was their standard 4 page issue of the time and is difficult to obtain. I think it was Jerry Lane's benefit game.
Southend_Loyal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:36 pm 
Post subject:

garyspain wrote:
Nothing known for Shamrock Rovers and very unlikely there was anything done.

There was a programme for Cork Hibs. It was their standard 4 page issue of the time and is difficult to obtain. I think it was Jerry Lane's benefit game.

Thanks for that info Gary. A friend of mine has the Cork Hibs one but interestingly not the Shamrock so you may well be right. Is there anyway that could be verified? Would the club know?

If you come across the Cork Hibs one, remember me!

Steve
garyspain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:03 pm 
Post subject:

Steve, the club wouldn't have a clue. I will ask a friend who follows and collects Shamrock Rovers. He certainly doesn't have it but may well have been at the game. If he says he was there then you can take it as 100% a non issue.

They had stopped producing for league games about a year beforehand. There were other friendlies at the time which have no known programmes. Although they did issue for European games v Botev in 62/3 & Valencia in 63/4. Both are readily available.

I still have doubts over friendlies played here including a couple involving my own club Limerick. However Shamrock Rovers were well supported and well collected at the time. I'd be amazed if anything was done.

I have some friendlies on my Wants List which may or may not exist or indeed there may not be extant copies. However this isn't one of them.
Some of the dubious ones include Limerick v Everton 49, Leeds 51. Cork Athletic v Birmingham and Leeds 51. Nothing known in all cases but
maybe......
Southend_Loyal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:23 pm 
Post subject:

garyspain wrote:
Steve, the club wouldn't have a clue. I will ask a friend who follows and collects Shamrock Rovers. He certainly doesn't have it but may well have been at the game. If he says he was there then you can take it as 100% a non issue.

They had stopped producing for league games about a year beforehand. There were other friendlies at the time which have no known programmes. Although they did issue for European games v Botev in 62/3 & Valencia in 63/4. Both are readily available.

I still have doubts over friendlies played here including a couple involving my own club Limerick. However Shamrock Rovers were well supported and well collected at the time. I'd be amazed if anything was done.

I have some friendlies on my Wants List which may or may not exist or indeed there may not be extant copies. However this isn't one of them.
Some of the dubious ones include Limerick v Everton 49, Leeds 51. Cork Athletic v Birmingham and Leeds 51. Nothing known in all cases but
maybe......

They stopped issuing programmes in the early 60's??!!! For that reason alone they deserve to go bust. Harsh you may say, but I'm not at home to not issuing programmes

Look forward to hearing once your friend has confirmed your suspicion (and then I will report back to our club historian who has it on his Wants list)

Steve
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: