Football Programmes Centre

I suspect I am going to be let down again
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I suspect I am going to be let down again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goonerboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:20 am 
Post subject: I suspect I am going to be let down again

About 4 years ago I won a big bundle of tickets on eBay for a bargain price. When the invoice came it was for standard postage but as i was keen for the bundle I enquired about tracked postage. The seller was a bit dismissive and reassured that normal post was fine. Stupidly I went with it. Of course the tickets never arrived and soon after he listed the tickets individually at 2-3 quid each. I asked for and got my money refunded and the seller blamed his wife as not putting the correct house number and apparently the package was returned to him by royal mail. Of course he had no proof of that and also refused to complete the sale. Of course both of us knew that he never sent it because the final price of the auction was too low.

I had not dealt with him since then but last week he listed some nice tickets and I won one lot consisting of a number of tickets but at a price I suspect below his expectations. Again he has been a bit dismissive about postal insurance. I suspect I am about to be treated to the same let down again with tickets not turning up and him blaming his wife for not addressing it properly or forgetting to send it by tracked postage or some such excuse and the tickets will start appearing individually.

I don't know if he remembers the previous episode as it was a while ago. Should i remind him although he could use that as a pretext that i am accusing him of stuff so he doesn't want to deal with me or do i just keep quiet and hope he has changed ?
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:53 am 

I had the same thing about a year ago when I won a bid for a load of 1950's West Ham programmes goonerboy.
Excuse after excuse from the seller, no interest from Ebay and ultimately saw them all relisted individually.
Sellers like this are what gives Ebay a bad name, and personally it's a case of not dealing with them again, but thankfully there are a lot more good sellers than bad ones.

With your current predicament, so as not to wind the seller up by what could be seen as accusing him, why not try insisting on a tracked service and state that you have had some items lost in the post recently and need to feel more secure?
That way you are not accusing him, but showing concern about standard postal services.

Good luck with this one mate.
foxes1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:07 am 
Post subject:

Can't understand why sellers do this surely they know what they want for the items if they do the simple answer is to put a reserve price on them, but then again it will cost more to list.
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:43 am 

foxes1 wrote:
Can't understand why sellers do this surely they know what they want for the items if they do the simple answer is to put a reserve price on them, but then again it will cost more to list.

Agree completely Foxes.
When I list items to sell on auction, I start the bid at the lowest amount that I would be happy with.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:21 am 
Post subject:

I don't touch anyone with a bargepole who's shafted me before on that odious site.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:00 am 
Post subject:

I suppose it’s the modern day practice of what used to go on occasionally with adverts in Programme Monthly whereby a seller would invite offers for an item (without mentioning “offers over”) and if the offers didn't measure up to what they were expecting, they simply ignored all the offers and kept the item and tried again a few months later.

Sadly it’s nothing new, although in those days there was little obligation to actually follow through with the sale whereas in theory there is on eBay. Thankfully I’ve no reason to suspect I’ve been a victim of this on eBay.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:38 pm 
Post subject: Re: I suspect I am going to be let down again

Five and In wrote:
foxes1 wrote:

Agree completely Foxes.
When I list items to sell on auction, I start the bid at the lowest amount that I would be happy with.

That's exactly what I do too mate.

Tell him you want to see a photo of the sealed envelope with your address on it Gooner, a photo of him getting into his car holding it, a photo of him posting it in the pillar box, and a photo of his missus in a topless cheerleader's costume.

[Joking apart, short of sending your own courier to pick it up, you're completely at his whim sadly buddy - he needs reporting if he stiffs you again - and naming & shaming - good luck buddy!]

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Davee59

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:58 pm 
Post subject:

"and a photo of his missus in a topless cheerleader's costume".

Clap Clap

Knowing my luck if I did that his missus would probably be in her eighties and a picture like that would turn my stomach!!
goonerboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:31 pm 
Post subject:

Laughing

I have asked for special delivery and the tracking number. I also sent him a picture of my missus instead.....that should scare the cr*p out of him
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:02 pm 
Post subject:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Fishy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:03 am 
Post subject:

goonerboy wrote:
Laughing

I have asked for special delivery and the tracking number. I also sent him a picture of my missus instead.....that should scare the cr*p out of him

Like your style! Very Happy
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:30 pm 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
I don't touch anyone with a bargepole who's shafted me before on that odious site.

Yep
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:34 pm 
Post subject:

goonerboy wrote:
Laughing

Send a picture of mine. I know when she's on her way home, the mice start throwing themselves on the traps. Neutral
Tintowner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:42 pm 

goonerboy wrote:
About 4 years ago I won a big bundle of tickets on eBay for a bargain price. When the invoice came it was for standard postage but as i was keen for the bundle I enquired about tracked postage. The seller was a bit dismissive and reassured that normal post was fine. Stupidly I went with it. Of course the tickets never arrived and soon after he listed the tickets individually at 2-3 quid each. I asked for and got my money refunded and the seller blamed his wife as not putting the correct house number and apparently the package was returned to him by royal mail. Of course he had no proof of that and also refused to complete the sale. Of course both of us knew that he never sent it because the final price of the auction was too low.

I had not dealt with him since then but last week he listed some nice tickets and I won one lot consisting of a number of tickets but at a price I suspect below his expectations. Again he has been a bit dismissive about postal insurance. I suspect I am about to be treated to the same let down again with tickets not turning up and him blaming his wife for not addressing it properly or forgetting to send it by tracked postage or some such excuse and the tickets will start appearing individually.

I don't know if he remembers the previous episode as it was a while ago. Should i remind him although he could use that as a pretext that i am accusing him of stuff so he doesn't want to deal with me or do i just keep quiet and hope he has changed ?

A few years ago, I had a similar problem with a seller who were (are?) programme dealers.

I won a programme that didn't sell for more than the starting price.

It never arrived, and I had many excuses ranging from it was sent, sent to the wrong address, we have been on holiday and finally... he blamed his wife for messing it up.

This went on for about two and a half weeks before I opened an ebay case against him. He wasn't very happy and was quite rude. he finally refunded me and told me that 'I can now call off the dogs (ebay)'

I have never purchased from them since, even though they had some nice items.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:05 pm 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:
goonerboy wrote:
Laughing

Send a picture of mine. I know when she's on her way home, the mice start throwing themselves on the traps. Neutral

It's ok I sent one of my missus before she shaved in the morning.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:41 pm 

Tintowner wrote:
goonerboy wrote:

A few years ago, I had a similar problem with a seller who were (are?) programme dealers.

I won a programme that didn't sell for more than the starting price.

It never arrived, and I had many excuses ranging from it was sent, sent to the wrong address, we have been on holiday and finally... he blamed his wife for messing it up.

This went on for about two and a half weeks before I opened an ebay case against him. He wasn't very happy and was quite rude. he finally refunded me and told me that 'I can now call off the dogs (ebay)'

I have never purchased from them since, even though they had some nice items.

You have a pm Mr TT. UTFM!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: