Football Programmes Centre

Ronald Koemann Good Manager?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ronald Koemann Good Manager?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:33 am 
Post subject: Ronald Koemann Good Manager?

I see the punters are placing some hefty bets on Ronald Koemann being the next Premier League boss to get the push .33/1 to 6/1 overnight.I know he did well at Southampton, and he won the Spanish Cup with Valencia, but is this bloke really a top manager? Admittedly, Spurs( who destroyed Everton last Saturday) are class, and they can beat any team on their day. Last night, however, was dire. Another massive pay off beckons for yet another so - called top continental manager, before he embarks on his next 'project'.
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:49 pm 

Failing to replace Lukaku was an obvious mistake and Koemann has flooded the team with midfielders that he hopes will spread the scoring void between them.
The problem with that is there is a lop sided look about the team.
Gareth Barry leaving is another mistake in my opinion. Despite his age, he does a good holding job and is a guaranteed 7/10 every week.

The question has to be were they Koemann's decisions?

I heard a rumour last week that he stormed out of a meeting just before the window closed as he was told he had spent enough money, which is true, but given the money re-couped on Lukaku, the net spend was only £35 million or so.

All things considered, I think Everton will be ok, but another defeat or two and Koemann may not be around to see it.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:15 pm 

Good points five.l don't know why this gadget put double n on the Koeman? Can we have your manager if he goes?
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:13 pm 
Post subject: Re: Ronald Koemann Good Manager?

Flaming Pie wrote:
Good points five.l don't know why this gadget put double n on the Koeman? Can we have your manager if he goes?

Sorry FP, Poch is with us for the long haul..........whatever that equates to nowadays!! Confused
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:31 pm 
Post subject:

Koeman's biggest mistake was in not injecting some pace into the side.
Football's a very different game now to thirty, even twenty years ago.
Speed, strength and athleticism seem to have largely overtaken natural ability in many cases.

The chronic lack of pace is only serving to highlight deficiencies elsewhere.

I honestly think he thought Sandro would be an adequate replacement for Lukaku, otherwise I don't see why he'd have been given the number 9 shirt.
Not if they'd planned to bring in another top forward. There was talk of Giroud, but it felt a bit like firefighting to me, not forward planning, once he'd realised that Sandro was unlikely to hit the ground running.

As for the question, is he a good manager?
He has form for falling out with players and dividing the dressing room I've heard. Even managed to fall out with Mane at Southampton, who's as laid back as they come.
The same seems to be happening at EFC with Barkley and a couple of others.

So his man management skills do seem to leave a lot to be desired.
Sometimes you have to be prepared to leave your ego at the door in order to get the best out of players.

Everton will be alright though. Mid table at worst IMO.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:26 pm 

Great analysis wiggy.l think my 100/1 on Everton top three finish has gone! It's a pity Bolasie and Coleman have long term injuries A couple of pacey players there. . The Palace lads will know all about Bolasie. Haven't seen much of him, but apparently he is a bit of a flyer and very strong with it. .It looks like the years are starting to tell on Leighton Baines.lf you get a chance take a look at Leighton Baines giving fans a lift to the game at Blackburn a few years ago.Pre-season freindly. lt's on Youtube.lf people think there are no good lads left in the game, watching Baines lifts your spirits.Being a Reds fan, you will get the humour. What's happening with your team? The bookies got it wrong having Newport as relegation favs!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:47 pm 
Post subject:

Yes I knew that story about Baines, and he's always struck me as a top bloke Pie. He could've had his pick of elite clubs a few years ago, there's not one in the Premier League who wouldn't have wanted him.
His loyalty to the Toffees is extremely endearing, and all far too rare these days. More's the pity.

Agree completely re Bolasie too, his and Coleman's injuries have really hurt EFC in the short term. I doubt there's a more consistent right-back in the country than the grossly underrated Coleman. He's what you call a 7/10 every single week.

Yeah County have had a very good start, especially as we had to play almost the whole of the first month away from home. I think we'll be a mid table side too this year, which is gravy as far as I'm concerned.

I don't want to go up, I think we'd be woefully out of our depth in Div 3, especially financially and off the field.
I'm quite happy to stay in this division for the next twenty years mate.
So long as we're Football League I'm happy - and traditionally this is our level.

Rookie gaffer Flynny is gaining admirers, which is to be expected given the job he's done since coming in - but I do think that a lot of the credit has to go to his sidekick, the wily old Lennie Lawrence.
It's no surprise that the standard of loan players we're getting now is light years away from the kids & duffers we had under Butcher & Feeney.

The upbeat mood around the club right now is the best it's been since the year we came up. With Newport County though, you still worry that the next disaster is merely lurking around the next corner waiting to pounce!

Smile

Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:15 pm 
Post subject:

I'll never forgive him for that night in Rotterdam that cost me my trip to the US!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:14 pm 
Post subject:

Ronsaunders wrote:
I'll never forgive him for that night in Rotterdam that cost me my trip to the US!

Do I not like orange.

Smile

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: