Football Programmes Centre

Minimum prices on offers lists
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Minimum prices on offers lists

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMusic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:33 am 
Post subject: Minimum prices on offers lists

Is it just me or does anyone else find minimum prices on offers lists a little... unrealistic sometimes, even as maximums and especially for fairly common items? I often find the minimum prices noted are roughly the maximum or more than I'd be prepared to pay anyway, not a start from which I can work upwards and decide how much more I'd like to bid.

I say this based both on general known market prices for sold or unsold items on eBay or in auction, as well as on the prices I generally find realistic for basic league issues which are by no means really rare. I'm just curious as to others' thoughts on the subject (btw, this isn't meant to be a criticism of those with offers lists; of course, anyone is perfectly entitled to set whatever minimum bids they like).

Also, there has been mention recently of the amount of unsold items at auction houses, but does anyone have an idea of how many lots go unsold on offers lists these days too? Are offers lists actually the most effective way of selling programmes these days?
New Forest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:56 am 
Post subject: Re: Minimum prices on offers lists

TheMusic wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else find minimum prices on offers lists a little... unrealistic sometimes, even as maximums and especially for fairly common items? I often find the minimum prices noted are roughly the maximum or more than I'd be prepared to pay anyway, not a start from which I can work upwards and decide how much more I'd like to bid.

I say this based both on general known market prices for sold or unsold items on eBay or in auction, as well as on the prices I generally find realistic for basic league issues which are by no means really rare. I'm just curious as to others' thoughts on the subject (btw, this isn't meant to be a criticism of those with offers lists; of course, anyone is perfectly entitled to set whatever minimum bids they like).

Also, there has been mention recently of the amount of unsold items at auction houses, but does anyone have an idea of how many lots go unsold on offers lists these days too? Are offers lists actually the most effective way of selling programmes these days?

I think we need to separate 'Dealers' from 'Sellers'. Dealers should know what their market is and price accordingly. Sellers, particularly on ebay are either chancers or just dim witted.

I collect Leyton FC and nothing else. I do at least know to the penny what items are worth. Pre WWI we all know are scarce and for any club expect to pay what is probably asked. Between the wars even for Leyton you normally have to pay double figures. Wartime again not plentiful and I just hope to pick them up for a little as possible. Modern issues should never be more than a 99p.

The classic example of the difference between dealers and sellers is the 1952 Amateur cup final between Leyton and Walthamstow Avenue. The attendance was 98,000. The price of a programme should be less than £5, but I have seen it offered for £19.99.

Of other clubs, Manchester United excluded, I notice that prices from the fifties and earlier seem to have dropped quite considerably. So has the market for those items shrunk, which I suspect it has. It does leave the older collectors still out there fighting over the rarer items which means those prices will hold up. The prices for Manchester United items seems to me to reflect the difference between fine art and old masters. Would a measure of x4 be affair premium?
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:35 am 
Post subject: Re: Minimum prices on offers lists

TheMusic wrote:
Are offers lists actually the most effective way of selling programmes these days?

Probably not, at a guess most collectors are now used to ebay and auctions where you can see where the bid is at and you can choose to dive in and see how far it goes, or sit it out when bidding gets too hot.

Blind bidding you have no idea whatsoever if you were the only bidder or what the under bid was if there was one. It's an outdated concept but I suppose it still attracts some semblance of interest if some dealers still use it.

Personally I've never bought via an offers list for 10+ years or more.
slightfold

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:59 pm 
Post subject:

I believe that 'the offers list' is slewed in the sellers' favour. They are setting their minimum with hope that a 'must have' will go potty and bid accordingly. I would think that if an item sells at the minimum on a single bid they will be happy. There's always that nagging suspicion that you could bid way over and had been the only bidder! That said I will occasionally have a punt, usually just a tad over and if I get it ok but if not, there will probably be others, mind you there could always be an exception to the rule.
Other than footballprogrammes.com, sports programmes and John Dee I am not sure who else still does this? Perhaps this sales method is dying out as the market nowadays can set the price in free competition, be it Ebay or auction (if the reserves are not off-putting and set too high),
Personally I like my snipe bidding on Ebay, keep your powder dry and bid at the last minute, sometimes you can get a real bargain and not end up in bidding wars!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: