Football Programmes Centre

Palace and De Boer
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Palace and De Boer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:26 am 
Post subject: Palace and De Boer

So, what do our Palace contingent think of DeBoer getting the heave-ho after a total of FOUR games? Poor start, yes, but four games in?!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:30 am 
Post subject:

His tactics, team selection and man-management were hopeless, he was lucky to get 4 games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:42 am 
Post subject:

We once had a manager leave us after an hour.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:05 am 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
His tactics, team selection and man-management were hopeless, he was lucky to get 4 games.

well be that as it may he trousered 5 Mill according to Sky and some numpty on talk sport said that will keep him for 2-3 years

He should have had 10 games and if by then still dire 28 matches left to salvage something, they say Woy is a shoe in-goodness me!

Shocked

5 million would keep virtually everyone in the UK for LIFE!

Just another sickening blow to the man in the street-football is starting to turn me off a bit, everyone one wants a piece of the action and most clubs have crap managers and staff and they are all earning crazy money.

I once said that Big Fat Ron was the richest failure in football but todays that auld lag would be considered a pauper!

Gnight! Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:30 am 
Post subject:

As Pete says he was lucky to get 4 games.
He learned nothing from the pre-season matches, changing players and formations every game.
The recruitment was dreadful, we have one fit striker (Benteke) until Connor Wickham comes back from a year long injury maybe in October/November)
The goalkeeping situation is far from ideal - we soldier on with Hennesey who isn't really Prem standard
In his first Prem game, 2 of the back 3 were teenagers on their debuts, leaving experienced defenders who had played in wins over Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal just months before on the bench
In the final game he brought on a kid nobody had heard of before.

It may well be our turn to go down this season, if so fair enough, after all the squad is pretty thin beyond the first 11.

However DeBore was the equivalent of putting Arsene Wenger in charge of WBA and trying to get them to play pretty football. It was footballing suicide.

And the guy was about as charismatic as Andy Murray in his post match interview after he won Wimbledon

Good riddance.
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 am 

De Boer was obviously a mistake, but the men who made it are making another with Woy in my opinion.
Not exactly inspiring, passionate or full of energy which are the characteristics Palace need right now.
He also still seems very prickly over England as when a reporter put to him yesterday that "it would be nice not to finish with that England disappointment", Woy immediately became defensive and spouted off about only having 7 defeats in 57 games and missed the point completely......we lost to Iceland FFS!!!
At the time Woy said "he didn't know what he was doing there", and I feel Palace will be thinking the same very soon.
Lucky if he is still there at Christmas.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:06 am 
Post subject:

I thought Palace played well enough to earn at least a point on Sunday at Burnley, but would De Boer still be in a job had Scott Dann not missed that golden chance at the end?! Shocked
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:21 am 

Couldn't agree more Jim.First time l've watched Palace this season and they could easily have beaten Burnley by three or four.The modern day managers are not really going to be given much time to get it right. However, as others have said,It's hard to feel sympathy for them when they get such massive payoffs.l remember some Scottish bloke arriving at Liverpool in December 1959. This was when they were struggling to get out of The Second Division. His first game Liverpol 0 v Cardiff 4.Followed by Charlton 3 v Liverpool 0.The Reds then went on a half decent run, before defeats against the might of Portsmouth, Leyton Orient and Lincoln ended the season on a real low.Today he would have probably been dumped.His name Bill Shankly. Different times!
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:53 am 
Post subject:

Its the way things are now investors and owners know that if they don't stay up then the gravy train derails them so everyone is desperate to short cut.

The sad thing is it permeates throughout the game. We have had a dreadful start, three own goals, there consecutive sendings off at home two significant injuries.

The manager who has a good track record of success and whose record with us is Play off final and promotion and who was lauded for his recruitment is now the subject of an Adams Out thread.

There is a thread on the Exeetr site that is over 500 pages long called Tisdale out!

I always liked the mantra players play, managers manage and supporters support...and that no player or manager sets out to lose every game....sometimes your team is worse than the rest and you go down...sometimes you a re better and go up...mainly you stay where you deserve.

You cannot blame de Boer for making the best deal he could....like Alan Sugar said..it is prune juice money...pour it in ant the top and watch it squirt out the bottom.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:01 am 
Post subject: Re: Palace and De Boer

Five and In wrote:
De Boer was obviously a mistake, but the men who made it are making another with Woy in my opinion.
Not exactly inspiring, passionate or full of energy which are the characteristics Palace need right now.
He also still seems very prickly over England as when a reporter put to him yesterday that "it would be nice not to finish with that England disappointment", Woy immediately became defensive and spouted off about only having 7 defeats in 57 games and missed the point completely......we lost to Iceland FFS!!!
At the time Woy said "he didn't know what he was doing there", and I feel Palace will be thinking the same very soon.
Lucky if he is still there at Christmas.

I said much the same to Palace-Pete last night Five, regarding the Owl.
He's a master at lowering expectation with every interview, the guy's a charlatan and a bluffer.
If Palace finish 17th he'll be telling the fans they've had a great season.
He'll spin it as a tremendous success.

Re England - my dear old mam could have got them through their qualifying groups from the past ten years (they've not even had a test since that year Croatia won at Wembley whilst that fool McClaren stood under his brolly), and what she knows about football you could write on a matchstick (with the wood scraped off).

Southgate's (nice bloke in fairness, but poor manager) sailing through another ridiculously easy group as we speak - but the fear in his eyes hints that he knows of the carnage to come, the minute they have to play anybody half decent. Poor bugger didn't even want the job in fairness, but knew he couldn't turn it down twice.

Hence Hodgson's "England record" isn't worth a carrot. You know it, I know it, Roy knows it.
An absolute master at lowering expectation and proclaiming mediocrity as success though! As I said earlier.

(I do hope he keeps them up though for the Palace lads on here)

Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:52 am 

Spot on Wiggy.

I too want Palace to be ok.
I've always liked them (I think it was the cool kits!)

If they fail to beat Southampton on Saturday, there is a real possibility that they could have zero points from a possible 24 in a few weeks with Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea their next three games.

That would be a tall order to recover from.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:44 pm 

Five and In wrote:
Spot on Wiggy.

I too want Palace to be ok.
I've always liked them (I think it was the cool kits!)

If they fail to beat Southampton on Saturday, there is a real possibility that they could have zero points from a possible 24 in a few weeks with Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea their next three games.

That would be a tall order to recover from.

Looking in from outside, I think they have a very decent set of players mate.
I can't believe that under some semblance of stewardship they won't have enough to stay up.

If they're fortunate with injuries, I'm sure they'll be ok.
That partisan home crowd will help them enormously too.

Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:32 pm 
Post subject:

Most long term Palace fans would be delighted to finish 17th this season, we don't kid ourselves we should be finishing 10th

There must be 10+ teams in the Championship with better grounds, bigger support, chairmen willing to spend more and so on if we go down.

Palace have a good starting 11 if the best 11 are all fit, not suspended etc, however beyond that it's pretty much Championship standard for the rest of the squad

Realistically on any given day we are playing with 9 or 10 good players and one or two makeweights, if you add into the mix ambitious playing style changes overnight, its a recipe for disaster

Palace's squad is likely to get 40-45 pts playing at their best all season, we cannot afford another 10 games in case it worked out with DeBore. Even now we are likely to be close to the wire right till the end of the season, you cannot give your relegation rivals a 6/7 point head start

All those saying he should have been given more time probably never watched every minute of every game to see sometimes sheer confusion amongst the players over what they were supposed to do. These people probably applaud Sunderland for sticking with Moyes all last season, whereas had they dumped him at Christmas and got Allardyce in, they'd still be a Prem Team now.
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:37 pm 

[ quote Littlewiggy]

If they're fortunate with injuries, I'm sure they'll be ok.
That partisan home crowd will help them enormously too.[/quote]

Have you seen our home form the last 2 years, must be the worst in the Prem (look it up!). Noisy fans makes no difference if the tactics are awful
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:57 pm 
Post subject:

Just like to go on record as saying I agree with everything my friend Dorking has written.

17th would be fine by me. What happens if Benteke (who currently couldn't hit the proverbial barn door but we all know what he's capable of) gets injured or suspended? We have nobody in the squad to take his place or to play alongside him. That is the fault of previous managers, not only De Bore who had the last transfer window to get something done. And it's the fault of Mr Parish who usualy waits till the very last minute to sign anyone, ie Sakho at midnight on 31st August. 20 months ago he signed an unfit Adebayor, who was out of contract and thus a free agent, at midnight on 31st January when he'd actually been a free agent and available, and equally unfit, on the 1st January.

This endless prevarication with signing players is holding the team and the club back. The squad is threadbare and on paper, a strong 11 and a weak 25. Or 24 as it is right now. And if the very average Hennessey were to get injured, we have a 38-year-old replacement who's barely played for 3 years.

Anyway, as I said, taking all this into account, 17th is good enough for me and Hodgson has a 2 year contract, by which time he'll be 72. And of course, by then we'll have a successor lined up like we always do. Wink
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:53 pm 

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:

Anyway, as I said, taking all this into account, 17th is good enough for me and Hodgson has a 2 year contract, by which time he'll be 72. And of course, by then we'll have a successor lined up like we always do. Wink

Ever the cynic, I believe Woy has been put in charge by the board until Chris Coleman is ready to leave the Wales job, be it pre Christmas if they fail to qualify for the World Cup, or in the Summer after the tournament.

I may be wrong, but time will tell.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: