Football Programmes Centre

Played At Anfield?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Played At Anfield?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes For Sale at Fixed Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:30 pm 
Post subject: Played At Anfield?

Which one of these likely lads played two games at Anfield?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:58 pm 

Just to add, the man in question played alongside Shankly, Paisley and Fagan.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:16 pm 
Post subject:

Billy Fury on the right, aka Ronald Wycherley?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:22 pm 

Billy Fury in the middle .lt's not him. l'm banking on you getting this Pete!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:03 pm 
Post subject:

Correct, Mr Fury is in the middle, not the right. That's me standing on my head trying to see the picture properly. Cliff Richard surely didn't play football with those guys unless it was some kind of charity game. But I don't recognise the bloke furthest right. Before my time!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:49 pm 

A bit of the name dropping here.l did show it to lan St John, who couldn't believe who it is and l think he played in both of the Anfield games 1970 and 1977 .The man in question was seventeen at the time.The photo was taken in Birkenhead. All will be revealed.
MATT RUSH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:40 pm 
Post subject:

Bloke at the top is Marty Wilde, Billy Fury in middle, can't say I recognise
t'other one, have we heard of him???
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:44 am 

He's very famous Matt.As you said, we have got Marty Wilde on the left, Billy Fury in the centre and on the right the mystery man.l think the fact that he's holding a guitar is giving a false impression.He also went to the same school as John Lennon.
MATT RUSH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:02 am 
Post subject:

It's not that bloody Tarbuck is it??? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:23 pm 

It bloody well is ! I'm not a big fan either . Tarbuck ' s Anfield appearances that l know of. The Gerry Bryne testimonial 1970..By the way, how the hell did Byrne play most of that 1965 FA Cup Final and extra - time with a broken collar bone? That was after little Bobby Collins 'did him' in the first half.Bryne must have been one of the hardest players of all time. Tarbuck played during the half - time interval of the Bryne game in a five - a-side match.His team mates included Shankly, Paisley and Fagan. Tarbuck next Anfield appearance was during the Tommy Smith testimonial 1977. The photo, as far as l know, was taken during the interval of the Larry Parnes Extravaganza Birkenhead Essoldo 1/10/58.Apparently Billy Fury sang during a talent contest section of the show. Parnes signed him up on the spot. He did look the part didn't he .Also on the bill was Marty Wilde, Vince Eager and the compere Jimmy Tarbuck. Well done Matt!
MATT RUSH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:29 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks F.P. first time I have won anything on here!!!
There was a Tarbuck played for Crewe Alex I think, is he related?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:24 am 

LP winner. The album of the month' ' The Very Very Worst Of Cilla Black' is winging it's way to you.You could have had 'Ken Dodd Sings Hendrix' but that's gone!
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:59 am 
Post subject: Re: Played At Anfield?

Flaming Pie wrote:
Tarbuck played during the half - time interval of the Bryne game in a five - a-side match.His team mates included Shankly, Paisley and Fagan. Tarbuck next Anfield appearance was during the Tommy Smith testimonial 1977.

Went to both of these and don't remember Tarbuck at all! But to be honest there were that many testimonials in those days, they all seemed to blend into one.

One player I do recall playing in Gerry Byrne's testimonial at half time was the great Stanley Matthews who probably got one of the biggest ovations of the night. Easy

Sign of the times these days that testimonials are not as prevalent which would indicate that players are not as loyal to their club as they once were. However it's great that some stars donate their proceeds to charity. Thumbs Up
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:12 pm 

Tarbuck's memories of playing at Anfield are all there Jim. on the Liverpool Echo website.l think in the early days, Jimmy (on the coatails of the Beatles) was quite popular on Merseyside.As the years went by, a bit like Cilla, his popularity dipped .l think l also saw the great Matthews( and Finney,) playing in a testimonial at Tranmere early 1960's.As you said, there seemed to be loads of them during that period and it all becomes a bit blurred. I know Bill Shankly would play wherever he could. Tom Finney once invited him to act as a linesman at Deepdale ( could have been Tom ' s own?) in a testimonial. Shankly got on the phone and told him' you must be bloody joking son.l'm playing and that's that!'
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:16 pm 

Tarbuck's memories of playing at Anfield are all there Jim. on the Liverpool Echo website.l think in the early days, Jimmy (on the coatails of the Beatles) was quite popular on Merseyside.As the years went by, a bit like Cilla, his popularity dipped .l think l also saw the great Matthews( and Finney,) playing in a testimonial at Tranmere early 1960's.As you said, there seemed to be loads of them during that period and it all becomes a bit blurred. I know Bill Shankly would play wherever he could. Tom Finney once invited him to act as a linesman at Deepdale ( could have been Tom ' s own?) in a testimonial. Shankly got on the phone and told him' you must be bloody joking son.l'm playing and that's that!'
MATT RUSH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:06 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the prize Pie, I'll try and bribe the postman to lose it although I suppose "Tarby's funniest jokes" would have been even more forgettable. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes For Sale at Fixed Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: