Football Programmes Centre

ITV Football Highlights Database
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
ITV Football Highlights Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:48 pm 
Post subject: ITV Football Highlights Database

Was having a good browse through this site earlier, what with there being bugger all on the telly - there's some pretty comprehensive listings for the old TV footy highlights throughout the 1960s, 70s & 80s.

(Links to a few on YouTube too)

Thought I'd share it in case anyone else was interested ...

http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/itv/ITVfootball68-83.html

Wave

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Rocky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:02 pm 
Post subject:

farmersboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:02 am 
Post subject:

Is there any way of accessing the BBC programmes? I would dearly love to see the 1971, Pompey v Arsenal cup match. There is a snippet on you tube which must have been got from somewhere. The memory of this game has stayed with me ever since. As a 13 year old at the time, this was my first really big game. Arsenals 3rd rd tie against Yeovil, was postponed so we had to wait a bit for confirmation. Every impromptu game at school was Pompey v Arsenal, with everyone taking on the role of their favourite player. I was Brian Bromley if I recall.
On the day it poured with rain, just about every programme for sale on e-bay shows sign of water damage. I don't think I would want one if it didn't.
Fantastic game with last minute equaliser from Pompey cult hero, Mike Trebilcock. My memory of MOTD is that they showed virtually the whole of the second half, pushing the other two games to the margins.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:30 am 
Post subject: lTV Football Highlights Database

Farmersboy,,,Mike Trebilcock, a hero for older Evertonians as well. 1966 FA Cup Final Everton 3 Sheff Wed 2. Two goals from Mike, then Derek Temple popped up with the winner.There are some good interviews with both of them if you type in Everton /Trebilcock..l like the Temple story about his call up for National Service in the 1950s. He was building his career as a teenager with Everton at the time.Because of his football prowess, different regiments knew all about him,and were looking to sign him , obviously hoping to get him in their representitives sides. Derek recalled that one recruitment officer told him, sign for my lot son and I'll make sure you are based permenantly in Lancashire.You will be free to play for Everton every weekend if you want he was told. ." Two weeks later, l was fighting the bloody Mau Mau in Kenya!" Derek lamented.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:19 am 
Post subject: Re: lTV Football Highlights Database

Flaming Pie wrote:
Farmersboy,,,Mike Trebilcock, a hero for older Evertonians as well. 1966 FA Cup Final Everton 3 Sheff Wed 2. Two goals from Mike, then Derek Temple popped up with the winner.There are some good interviews with both of them if you type in Everton /Trebilcock..l like the Temple story about his call up for National Service in the 1950s. He was building his career as a teenager with Everton at the time.Because of his football prowess, different regiments knew all about him,and were looking to sign him , obviously hoping to get him in their representitives sides. Derek recalled that one recruitment officer told him, sign for my lot son and I'll make sure you are based permenantly in Lancashire.You will be free to play for Everton every weekend if you want he was told. ." Two weeks later, l was fighting the bloody Mau Mau in Kenya!" Derek lamented.

Lol, great story FP.

One of that Everton '66 team ended up at the County, Brian Harris, who for the rest of his life always wore his cherished FA Cup medal on a gold chain around his neck. He famously bemoaned the Newport public as being more interested in bingo than football.

After his stint with the County, he moved to Chepstow and took over the pub just up the road from where I lived. His lad was at school with me, and surprisingly had no interest whatsoever in footy. He was a real loner, and used to spend school dinner times sitting in the old wooden bus stop smoking a pipe, lol, which was a comical sight seeing as he was about 12 at the time.

Very Happy

Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:59 am 
Post subject: lTV Football Highlights Database

It's a small world wiggy.Brian Harris is from my neck of the woods He played for Port Sunlight as a kid..He took Tony Kay's place in the Everton team after Tony got locked up. Kay took a couple of quid in return for not giving of his best in a game for Sheffield Wednesday.This was before he signed for the Blues.You know the story. The bribe cost Kay his career.The strange thing was that kay got awarded Man of the Match in some of the newspaper reports of the Sheff Wed 'bribe'game..I did see him play when he was supposed to have a life ban from football in England. This was in charity games.He was not even allowed to play in these.l think he was down in the programme as 'the mystery man'.Kay was a brilliant footballer. A mixture of Roy Keane/Graham Souness. That type of player. Brian Harris was very underated.l can imagine that he was a popular figure at Newport.The FA Cup medal🏅around his neck at all times story, tells you how much winning the Cup used to mean to players .ln 1966 , l regarded it as bigger than Everton's 1963 league title win.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:32 am 
Post subject:

County fans still say to this day that Brian was absolutely right FP.

His player-manager stint was before my time sadly, I was only a little nipper then, but I'm told he was still a class act on the pitch and would often get hugely frustrated that lesser players weren't on his wavelength.

He did have a testimonial game in 1974 of course, when County hosted the Toffees, and the game was kicked off by the legendary Dixie Dean. I've been after a match ticket from that game for years, which finished in a 3-3 draw.

Sadly, as with so many ex players, Brian suffered from Alzheimer's in his latter days, and passed away about ten years ago. I'm not 100% on it, but I'm almost sure I was told at the time that he was buried with that FA Cup medal that meant so much to him. I hope that's true, as like you say, the cup really did mean something back then, and Brian was enormously proud of it.

cardiff55

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:10 pm 
Post subject:

Brian Harris was with Cardiff before he went on a 'free' to newport in the summer of 1971. We signed hime from Everton in 1966 and he made his debut in a 1-7 defeat!

He struck up a great partnership with Don Murray at centre back and oozed class even then, but injuries caught up with him and he moved to Somerton Park.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:50 pm 
Post subject:

Here's Brian on the Soccer Stamp in that summer of '71 Tony ...

cardiff55

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:27 pm 
Post subject:

I remember it well Liam. The tangerine kit too.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:11 pm 
Post subject:

cardiff55 wrote:
I remember it well Liam. The tangerine kit too.

He's the second best Brian we've had off you lot Tony, after the ledge Clarky of course.

Thumbs Up

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:19 am 
Post subject:

A couple of nice snaps of Brian Harris during Cardiff's European travels (Hamburg, 1968)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Theresonlyoneutd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:56 am 
Post subject:

If anyone on here collects dvds can i please ask if anyone has the 1977 charity shield or wolves v Man Utd 1976 FA Cup 6th round replay.

Im always looking for foitage 1973-1980 featuring utd and have lots of rare games to exchange or i can purvhade,thank you.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: