Football Programmes Centre

Holy Grail Items
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Holy Grail Items

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Ticket Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:10 pm 
Post subject: Holy Grail Items

Holy Grail items; that's what I call those certain pieces of memorabilia that I've wanted for donkeys' years, but for whatever reason they've been impossible to find or procure.

Now I've managed to obtain two of them in as many days, which is slightly surreal.

First was an "Official's" badge from the 1966 World Cup.
Not difficult to find, but I was never comfortable with paying £150+ for one.
Despite wanting one for about five years or more, I remained ultra-patient and finally nabbed one for a price I was really happy with. Bingo!

Next up is a ticket that is hens teeth rare, and something I've been after for more years than I care to recall.
The only away from our European campaign that I was without, the second round in Norway against Haugar in October 1980.

These just don't surface. I've spoken to Haugesuund fans who say they barely exist and have never seen one. Now my buddy Duncan Jardine (the only person I knew who had one as he was at the game) has sorted me with one. What a trooper.

I'm now skint but very happy!

Smile

What are your 'Holy Grail' items and stories??

Love

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:45 pm 
Post subject: Re: Holy Grail Items

littlewiggy wrote:
Holy Grail items; that's what I call those certain pieces of memorabilia that I've wanted for donkeys' years, but for whatever reason they've been impossible to find or procure.

Now I've managed to obtain two of them in as many days, which is slightly surreal.

First was an "Official's" badge from the 1966 World Cup.
Not difficult to find, but I was never comfortable with paying £150+ for one.
Despite wanting one for about five years or more, I remained ultra-patient and finally nabbed one for a price I was really happy with. Bingo!

Next up is a ticket that is hens teeth rare, and something I've been after for more years than I care to recall.
The only away from our European campaign that I was without, the second round in Norway against Haugar in October 1980.

These just don't surface. I've spoken to Haugesuund fans who say they barely exist and have never seen one. Now my buddy Duncan Jardine (the only person I knew who had one as he was at the game) has sorted me with one. What a trooper.

I'm now skint but very happy!

Smile

What are your 'Holy Grail' items and stories??

Love

THAT Liam

is what this collecting lark is all about!

Patience is a virtue-anyone can go out and spend , spend, spend when stuff shows up as they "must have" but they must have "NOW!".

Yes of course some items that are so difficult to obtain and one day peer above the paprapet will cause a big reaction for sure[and silly prices] and it can be difficult in knowing where to pitch it but in my experience what ever figure you set yourself the Red mist descends and you go OTT, even not getting it after going so far and thinking and thinking about it waiting for an auction or an ebay lot to end can be unsettling and what about when you are in full flow in an auction be it in the room or on the net and you say one more bid and go again but then when you are told it is on you do you want it for £XXXXX's SOMETIMES u gotta say "FXXK IT" NO! and walk away and feel better for doing it, maybe later you get the pangs of "I should have gone one more" but the other guy was being resilient so he may not have bailed out.

Still, after all of that when you DO get what your after-there is no prouder moment!-until the next thing comes along and the same madness starts again Laughing

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:08 pm 
Post subject:

Super stuff wiggy, you need to get a European album up on your Flikr, would be good to see the programmes, tickets and any other bits and pieces.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:16 pm 
Post subject:

Haha, so true Leslie.

I'm already thinking now about those other 'Holy Grails' that I've long wished for.

Patience is indeed a great virtue though, and it feels satisfying when your patience eventually pays off. Like a self-congratulatory pat on the back telling you that you were right all along, even though you often doubted it.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey indeed.

We've all got these holy grail items too haven't we. Everybody who collects has them.
My mate got one recently, a Spurs v Lovell's programme that he'd wanted for years. I kept telling him to stay patient and it would come, everything comes to he who waits etc, and he finally nabbed it for about an eighth of what it usually goes for.

I was almost as chuffed as him, as I know just how good that feeling is.

littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:22 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Super stuff wiggy, you need to get a European album up on your Flikr, would be good to see the programmes, tickets and any other bits and pieces.

Cheers mate.
The tickets (& badges) are already on there, in the '80/81 ticket section.

I did have the Euro press photos, newspapers, pennants, progs, souvenirs etc, but have flogged all those as part of my collection streamlining.
Can't keep everything sadly, I'm not rich enough nor do I have the space.

Thumbs Up

Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:47 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:

Cheers mate.
The tickets (& badges) are already on there, in the '80/81 ticket section.

I did have the Euro press photos, newspapers, pennants, progs, souvenirs etc, but have flogged all those as part of my collection streamlining.
Can't keep everything sadly, I'm not rich enough nor do I have the space.

Thumbs Up

I'm not a big ticket collector myself although have them for most of the Hearts Euro games and of course Scotland games I've been to over the last 20 or so years.

Love the old Eastern European style tickets. I have one from East Germany U21 v Scotland U21 in Jena from 1982 and it looks very similar.

My "holy grail" ticket wise which I have not yet obtained are Hearts aways at Velez Mostar and Austria Memphis, both from the 1988/89 run to the UEFA Cup QF when we should have beaten Bayern and faced Maradona's Napoli in the SF!
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:19 pm 

Nice one Wiggy.
Really pleased for you mate.

I posted about a year ago about a run of the mill programme that I had just obtained at that point after a wait of nearly 40 years.
It was the only game I missed that season (through illness) and for some reason I never got around to getting the programme.

It makes the "getting it" even more sweeter Clap
bee007

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:45 pm 

Would it be possible to set up a thread where individuals could list their particular Holy Grail Item, and other people can add theirs to it? We all collect something, but I wouldn't know what particular items are people looking for. It could be that someone say up North, might be after something that I might see down South and visa-versa. When I go to Fairs(not that often) looking for items I want, I probably pass many items that someone else is after, so it's just a case of knowing what else to look out for. It seems this site is the best around for people trying to help others find what they are looking for. If members put just 1 or 2 Holy Grail items on a list, I bet within a year, half the items would have been found by someone somewhere.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:56 pm 
Post subject: Re: Holy Grail Items

bee007 wrote:
Would it be possible to set up a thread where individuals could list their particular Holy Grail Item, and other people can add theirs to it? We all collect something, but I wouldn't know what particular items are people looking for. It could be that someone say up North, might be after something that I might see down South and visa-versa. When I go to Fairs(not that often) looking for items I want, I probably pass many items that someone else is after, so it's just a case of knowing what else to look out for. It seems this site is the best around for people trying to help others find what they are looking for. If members put just 1 or 2 Holy Grail items on a list, I bet within a year, half the items would have been found by someone somewhere.

Sounds a great idea buddy.

I'm sure we've all got those one or two wanted items that continually elude us.

goonerboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:37 pm 
Post subject:

That is a superb idea and if anyone up north (or anywhere) has the following arsenal away tickets from 1970/71 I would be delighted to hear from them.....burnley, Blackpool, derby, newcastle, southampton, stoke.
ntw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:19 pm 
Post subject:

Good idea on the thread. Although a rugby man, mine is a football related item: Warrington-Wakefield, played at Loftus Road, 09/11/1955. More likely to surface at a footy fair darn sarf, that the very infrequent RL fairs oop norf.
bee007

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:13 pm 

My Holy Grail item is a Barnet Supporters Club(always been a Supporters Association since 1926) Badge. Having supported the club for 50 years, I have never come across one. The only place I have seen an image is on the Piterbadge website,(Badge 1) and having contacted the person they said that they haven't actually got the Badge, but used an image for the collection. I would just be interested in finding out if any Badge collectors on this Forum has this Badge. I never knew the club had done a Buttonhole Fitting SA Badge until I found one in a junk shop one day, and that is still the only one of them I have ever come across. I believe all items are out there somewhere, it's just a matter of me or someone else finding them.
Klevagal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:05 pm 
Post subject: Holy Grail items

PM sent to bee007.

Great idea for a thread but perhaps on Anything Goes Chit Chat. I see there are already ticket, programme & badge HGs.

I saw these posts on what I think was my second-ever visit to the Tickets forum.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Ticket Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: