Football Programmes Centre

Carabao Cup Draw
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Carabao Cup Draw
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxes1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:13 am 
Post subject: Carabao Cup Draw

Anyone else watch the draw last night, it was pure comedy gold.
John Salako drawing the red / white balls out. Red balls were the away team white balls the home team to start with, but then the red balls were the home teams with the white balls the away teams I think. How come Wolves / West Brom one in the Southern section other in the Northern section.
Bring back the old days when teams were drawn out in a straight draw.
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:57 am 

I didn't see it Foxes, but like most other things about today's football they have broken something that didn't need fixing.

FA Cup 1pm Monday on the radio was great.
We would huddle around the speaker and hear the balls rattling around before hearing....number 5......Bolton Wanderers.......will play........number 24.......Manchester United, before moving on to the next tie. It was golden.

I lost interest in the draws when initially Jim Rosenthal got involved and turned it into a game show......number 5......Bolton Wanderers, who last won the cup in 1958 and made it through the last round in a thriller against Northampton Town blah, blah, blah etc.
Since then it has got worse and worse (apart from the pissed Rod Stewart one!)

Add to that, the fact that you sometimes need to hire a Private Eye to find out when or where the draw is being shown, I just find out in due course.

Rant over.....sorry!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:28 am 
Post subject: Re: Carabao Cup Draw

foxes1 wrote:
Anyone else watch the draw last night, it was pure comedy gold.
John Salako drawing the red / white balls out. Red balls were the away team white balls the home team to start with, but then the red balls were the home teams with the white balls the away teams I think. How come Wolves / West Brom one in the Southern section other in the Northern section.
Bring back the old days when teams were drawn out in a straight draw.

I noticed Aston Villa were in the Northern section too, whilst Birmingham City were in the Southern pot.

We were in the Northern section too, but that was because we're slightly more further north than West Ham.

Both of us can't play at home because our grounds aren't ready, so they needed to split us up in case we drew each other.

We drew Leeds at home, but will play away.
Just to add to the confusion! lol

Good draw for us though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:31 am 

Five and In wrote:
I didn't see it Foxes, but like most other things about today's football they have broken something that didn't need fixing.

We would huddle around the speaker and hear the balls rattling around before hearing....number 5......Bolton Wanderers.......will play........number 24.......Manchester United, before moving on to the next tie. It was golden.

Wasn't it just!!

dcfc46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:01 am 

Why are Newport County in the Northern Section and Burton Albion in the Southern section Burton is 133 Miles north of Newport
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:06 am 

dcfc46 wrote:
Why are Newport County in the Northern Section and Burton Albion in the Southern section Burton is 133 Miles north of Newport

I just explained that above your post buddy.

sellsell39

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:04 pm 
Post subject:

there are some who still think of this cup competition as the Milk Cup.

I prefer the Coca Cola Cup myself .

must be an age think.

what is carabao anyway ? Confused
se20blue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:31 pm 
Post subject:

It's the League Cup, end of.
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:53 pm 
Post subject:

They announced Palace as being away to Ipswich, even though it was a red ball (home)

About 20 mins later they changed the captions and we got the home draw it should have been in the first place!

Good news for Wiggy, matchbadges at Leeds!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:54 pm 

Five and In wrote:

Brought back memories of January 1977 - "Colchester United.....will play......Derby County"

Next day, straight down to the Post Office with my pocket money, buy a postal order for 50p or so, pop it in a letter to "The Secretary, Colchester United FC etc etc"

And, sure enough, on the Monday after the match, programme duly arrived with a nice compliments slip (signed by the Club Secretary) and a single sheet list of what their club shop sold!

I know EBay is the modern day equivalent but it was a lot more fun the old way Smile
foxes1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:30 am 
Post subject:

Anyone staying up until 4.30 AM to listen to the draw for the next round live from Beijing. Shocked

I won't bother as we will get knocked-out tonight.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:22 pm 
Post subject:

Really don't know if Palace will get past Ipswich who have won 5/5 games this season
All depends what strength teams both clubs put out (which makes it a total lottery!)
If we get through will get up for the early draw though, would want Spurs @ Wembley
sellsell39

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:20 pm 
Post subject:

all of the ipswich kids are playing tonite Dorking.

none of the 11 that started against Brentford on Saturday are starting tonite, a real shame but bares bones and all that . Crying or Very sad

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/s.....-1-5157951

I heard this competition called the "Carrier Bag" Cup earlier today !
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Dorking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:33 am 
Post subject:

Ipswich were very resilient,took all our subs before we broke them down - good omen for the future
Good practice for Palace too.
Not looking forward to a 415 draw!
Burton away for a new ground, or Spurs @ Wembley please!

EDIT - From what I can tell, in this country it's only on twitter. Think sleep is a better option!
foxes1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:36 am 
Post subject:

Think it's about time we scrapped this cup. One time it used to be just the so called top teams putting out weakened teams now we have teams from outside the Premiership putting out weakened teams.
We played Sheff Utd last night and each team made 8 changes, still you can see why clubs only charge £10 to get in, all a lot of these games are are glorified reserve games.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:20 am 
Post subject:

foxes1 wrote:
Think it's about time we scrapped this cup. One time it used to be just the so called top teams putting out weakened teams now we have teams from outside the Premiership putting out weakened teams.
We played Sheff Utd last night and each team made 8 changes, still you can see why clubs only charge £10 to get in, all a lot of these games are are glorified reserve games.

So because the Premier League clubs have looked down their noses at it for long enough it should be scrapped? There are many instances of Premier League clubs fielding virtual second strings in the Europa League as well as they were more interested in 4th place in the Premiership and the gazillions that goes with it. The game is utterly ruined by money.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:21 am 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
foxes1 wrote:

So because the Premier League clubs have looked down their noses at it for long enough it should be scrapped? There are many instances of Premier League clubs fielding virtual second strings in the Europa League as well as they were more interested in 4th place in the Premiership and the gazillions that goes with it. The game is utterly ruined by money.

That is the whole issue it is no longer a game, it is just about money-nothing else at all.

On another note Manchester United did treat the competition last season with respect in playing strong sides in most rounds and not just in a semi or a final.

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:46 am 
Post subject:

The Scots are hard to beat when it comes to draws.

Exhibit A

https://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2016/feb/09/scottish-cup-draw-balls-blunder-forces-retake-video

Only challenged by the drunken celebrity act ( which was actually more successful than the sober version above).

http://www.skysports.com/watch.....h-cup-draw
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:27 am 
Post subject:

A pished Rod Stewart should make every single draw, awesome performance Laughing
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:30 am 
Post subject:

It's not difficult to fathom why every cup competition has been reduced to an inconvenience.

I heard that last season, Sunderland received the same amount of prize money for finishing bottom of the Prem as they would have done for winning the FA Cup!

£98m or something.

Money 1 Prestige 0

However, there's still cup magic in them there lower divisions.
Although hang on a cotton-picking moment, I've an idea, lets get our Premier League B teams in there and feck that up too.
YES, great idea!

(cue the sound of pigs chortling & grunting)

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: