Football Programmes Centre

Punk Rock advert In football programmes.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Punk Rock advert In football programmes.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:27 pm 
Post subject: Punk Rock advert in programmes

From Punk to the Beatles, but if you think of the early Beatles in Hamburg,, in the leather and on the pep pills to keep playing for hours on end.They were very much like an early punk group before Epstein smartened them up. A football link with all of this is that l only found out recently that their Sgt Pepper cover was originally supposed to include Dixie Dean .McCartney was the only real football fan in the group and being an Evertonian, he selected Dixie for the cover. Somewhere along the line Lennon , because he liked the quirky sound of Albert Stubbin's name ,requested that the former Liverpool striker should be on the cover.By all accounts McCartney was not aware of this change of plan, but was not that bothered either way.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:19 pm 
Post subject:

I have read that The Big Three were a cut above every band bar The Beatles and objected at being forced to record the kind of 45s they put out. "By The Way" wasn't really indicative of how they sounded.
So Adrian Barber said "no more", the band folded after a few years of plodding along with a highly fluid lineup, packed it in and a few years later Johnny Gustafsson popped up in Roxy Music!

I've got their "At The Cavern" EP - legend has it they had to don their sweaty stage suits an hour after the show to allow the photographer to snap something suitable to put on the front cover.

I was in Mathew Street not that long ago - found it very depressing looking at how it's been turned into something to appeal to Japanese tourists.....one cafe was selling a "Beatleburger" for heaven's sake!
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:13 am 

A Beatleburger with a plate of 'Give Peas A Chance' . Yep, that's on the menu as well! It's all a bit daft, but the Beatles heritage trail brings in millions to the Merseyside economy. Apparently, a few years ago, before a Liverpool concert, , Dylan did the Beatles tour on the coach with all the other punters. They probably couldn't believe that this was indeed the real Bob sitting next to them. The story goes that when he got to Lennon's old house in Woolton, he broke down in tears during the guided tour.There is now also the Bill Shankly Hotel and close to it soon will be a Dixie Dean Hotel. At the recent Tranmere v Liverpool pre - season, l was sitting near a large group of South Koreans .At first l thought they were all Rovers fans ( Tranmere are very big in North and South Korea!) I was then shocked to find out that they turned out to be Liverpool fanatics. We talked about football and although they had a vague idea about Everton, their faces lit up when Wayne Rooney was mentioned. As we witnessed yesterday, Rooney has still got a lot to offer on the pitch.When it comes to marketing the club abroad, however, bringing him back is a very shrewd move by the Blues.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:48 pm 
Post subject:

Tranmere Rovers are big in North Korea?!......well, they do say you learn something new every day Smile

Wee while ago I spotted an autograph book on EBay at a Buy It Now price of not that much. Cheap enough to warrant a punt. When it arrived, it had signatures of The Beverly Sisters, Julie London, George Sewell (remember him?)....but, to my surprise, also had a Cavern Club entry ticket from 1964 pasted in on one of the later pages. Bit of good fortune there!

Meant to nip in to The Grapes for a pint when I was in Mathew Street but the lady I was with didn't really appreciate "pub culture" so it was a pot of tea for two in the shopping mall instead.

Re Bob Dylan......ever tried sourcing decent audio quality footage of his 1966 "post-folk" concerts? Surprisingly difficult to locate anything. I
wonder why?
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:05 am 

Had a few sessions in the Grapes with Bob Wooler. Bob never bought a drink, but you felt it was worth buying him a couple just to hear his Beatles/ Cavern tales. I think there was a stronger affection between Dylan and the Beatles than many realise. One of the characters who you would often bump into at a Beatles Convention, was John's uncle Charlie.He told me that when John lived in England, he would sometimes stay at his place for a few days. I think John wanted to get to know relatives from his father's side of the family, who seemed to have been cut out by his aunt Mimi. You know the story derby.When Charlie arrived there once, Dylan was also a guest.I don't think that at the time, Charlie even knew who he was. Then you have Harrison seeking him out to become a Travelling Willberry.When George died the Liverpool Echo asked for people's memories. One bloke recalled wondering down Mathew Street in the 1990s. He thought he recognised someone standing outside the Cavern.They got into conversation about the original club being about 20ft down the road on the same side.The man then recognised that it was George. They ended up going for a drink in a nearby pub..Apparently the man was something of an authority on all things Dylan and this intrigued George,, who was not the slightest bit interested in talking about the Beatles.lt sounded very plausible,, but as Bob Wooler once said, they should rename Mathew Street Myththew Street!
DonQuixoteII

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:58 am 
Post subject:

You two need to get a room... Very Happy

...but seriously though, it's good to listen to two knowledgable peeps chewing the cud over said subject.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:28 pm 

I'll have to stop this Don and get back to it being a football forum! Imagine what l'm like after a few shandies and start going on about seeing Hendrix and the Doors and Townshend smashing his guitar in two.My missus often says, O'h here he goes, back to the Beatles again!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:39 pm 
Post subject: Re: Punk Rock advert in programmes

Flaming Pie wrote:
I'll have to stop this Don and get back to it being a football forum! Imagine what l'm like after a few shandies and start going on about seeing Hendrix and the Doors and Townshend smashing his guitar in two.My missus often says, O'h here he goes, back to the Beatles again!

And, whatever you do, don't get me rabbiting on about British mid-60s popsike!
You saw The Doors in concert? Lucky man. I don't much care for their records but Robbie Kruger was maybe THE guitarist of the decade. So underrated.
DonQuixote2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:53 am 
Post subject:

If you can't beat 'em....

...saw Rod Stewart - and the Faces - do the first live recording of
Maggie May at the Weeley festival in August '71, just hours before
dropping my first [and only] tab of 'acid'. Love

I always thought it was an apocryphal tale but it apparently was
the Clacton Round Table's baby, in order to raise money for charity...
they normally held a donkey derby apparently!!

Was the Isle of Wight festival not on that year as I can't understand
them having such line-ups at two venues?

To be honest the above had become a distant blur - in more ways than
one - until it came to me on reading your thread, so just checked out
a few websites relating to said 'soirée'.

Can recall the old man hosing me down in the garden when I got home
as I hadn't washed for three days - well it would have been rude to, no?

#keepontrucking
DonQuixote2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:59 am 
Post subject:

Never saw the Beatles, although my missus did at the Finsbury Park
Astoria, although I presume most of my Liverpool side of the family
must have done at some stage.

Zz Top are the best live act I've seen and was gutted to miss out on
tickets for Rick Astley in Barcelona two years ago...small venue and
sold out in a flash.
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:52 am 

Zz Top,, l was watching them at Glastonbury ( on the TV, not actually there) thinking , if l was in a band l'd like to play guitar with that lot. I doubt l could grow a beard like that though! One of the greatest concerts l ever saw was Rory Gallagher when he was with Taste, that was at the Liverpool Phil.The Who on Mountford Hall 1971, playing most of 'Who's Next' well before it was released was pretty special . Delaney and Bonnie at the Liverpool Empire 1969 was pretty good.Two of their guitarists that night were Eric Clapton and George Harrison.That was Beatle George's last Liverpool appearance.The place was half empty.Someone from that era ,that is now slightly forgotten, is Terry Reid.He was on the lsle of Wight 1969 l think ?.l was there in 1970. I reckon derby will know him .He never really became the major star he should have become. l have been listening to him recently. 'Seeds Of Memory' .What a great voice. Apparently, he was asked to be the lead singer for Led Zepp and knocked them back. He had signed to tour America with the the Stones as the warm up act( 1968?) and wouldn't break his contract. He recommended Robert Plant to them.Poor old Terry could have been a multi -millionaire superstar,, but l have seen him talking about it and he doesen't appear to give a monkies!
DonQuixote2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 am 
Post subject:

Saw Frank [Beard] and the boys at Milton Keynes in 90 or 91?

I've never stood under a fired up 767 but I reckon the decibel level
must be on par - it was fucking loud! Bryan Adams and Thunder were
also on the card.

Rory was the nuts...'Going to my home town' still gets a regular blasting
from me on YouTube - he was at Weeley too - not that I remember Love

A local school to me used to host bands back in the late 60s and from memory,
which has been wine addled over time, in three consecutive
weeks, there was....Yes, Toast and Taste. I don't think the entrance fee
came to a £1 for the whole triumvirate.

Was supposed to go to IoW in 1970 but pulled on the night before and
ended up missing the magic bus which I was leaving from my
mate's gaff in Peckham the following day... #myloss

For some reason Terry Reid passed me by so I'm checking him out
on Wiki as we speak - seems a proper legend..
hydemaine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:03 am 
Post subject:

Getting back to sort of on topic here's another I found in another 'run of the mill Manchester City programme this time advertising the David Bowie Glass Spider tour at Maine Road on the 14th & 15th of July 1987.
I was at the second date, Alison Moyet and Terence Trent Darby supporting the great Man.
DonQuixote2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:14 am 
Post subject:

How very dare you..hijacking the 'All our Yesterdays' thread.... Very Happy

Coventry - cover opponents? - with no sponsor and Supporters' club notes
reduced to about five column inches in the one-off Today League.

Think that was the day Everton won the title too...

I wonder if Clacton FC had any ads in their early season progs for
the Weeley concert?
hydemaine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:33 am 
Post subject:

I was lucky being a City fan and living in Withington at the time (about a mile & 1/2 walk to the ground)

I saw some great concerts at the old Maine Road. Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, Guns and Roses (Axel to pissed up to appear on stage) Oasis, and this my favourite Queen from the summer of 1986 shown in a programme v Wimbledon at the start of the following season.....happy days Smile
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:34 am 
Post subject:

I really am green with envy at all this talk of Jimi, The Doors, Rory Gallagher, not to mention the Beatles. I was born a bit too late for the 60's stuff but got into it much later. However, in the Summer of 1969 I went on an Oxfam Biafra charity walk from Croydon to Wembley Stadium, it would have been 30 miles and the enticement was to see a load of bands there. At that stage (I was 13) I had no idea who any of them were so I went with a couple of mates who were more into it than me. This is the flyer for it which I have found online:

I think I was at the stadium for no more than 2 hours after completing the journey (having said that, I gave up after 23 miles at Wormwood Scrubs and hopped on the coach to Wembley from there), and I know there was loud music being played but I had no clue who was on. I was totally oblivious to it.

Due to my heavy sporting commitments back then (playing & watching football, playing and coaching cricket) I had so little time for other entertainment that all I did for most of the 70's was buy vinyl, but I did get to see a few bands, like Emerson Lake & Palmer, Robin Trower, 10CC.

When Punk emerged I was very hairy but went to the Marquee a few times and saw The Piranhas, John Otway & Wild Willie Barrett, and a few others whose names I've forgotten. Later I saw the Police play their first ever version of "Message in a Bottle" at the Hammersmith Odeon, and the Pretenders also at the Marquee. I saw a very young U2 at the Hammy Palais and also The Undertones there (supported by Altered Images) and Feargal was brilliant (as was the lovely Clare Grogan!).

I went to Knebworth in 1978 or 9 and saw Led Zep backed by a really weird line up (Fairport Convention, Commander Cody, Todd Rundgren, Southside Johnny etc) but Zep were fantastic and I had a very brief fling with a girl there. Story of my life!

Later I got into the Eric Clapton concerts at the Albert Hall and saw him a few times there, but his best concert for me was with Stevie Winwood in about 2013, fantastic set, Blind Faith revisited. I can still "feel" Stevie singing "Can't Find My Way Home".

I also saw Crosby Stills & Nash at the Hammy Odeon in about 1989, we were sat behind Dustin Hoffman and his awful children (running all over the place screaming). Steve Stills singing "For What it's Worth" has again stayed with me since then.

But over all I just haven't seen enough bands and I regret not making more of an effort in the 70's when the World was my lobster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
DonQuixote2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:57 am 
Post subject:

Ah, la Grogan - deffo a standing order in the w@nk bank...along with
Charlene Spiteri and Wendy James, who, in her day, had the ability
to turn any gay man straight... Shocked
Unfortunately she [James] hasn't aged well - another fish lip disaster methinks.

Had a delve into my 'pensieve' and recall seeing Jethro Tull and Family
but haven't a clue as to where.

One of the best concerts I saw was Elton John at Earl's Court - around
1976 I think, which had been hastily arranged following his let down
at Wembley the previous summer, when he was outshone by the Beach Boys.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:02 pm 
Post subject:

Talking of Reg reminds me I saw a free concert in Hyde Park, I must have missed my cricket, summer of 1976, with Queen headlining. In support were Steve Hillage (superb - I bought several albums shortly after) and Kiki Dee at the time of that awful single and with a cardboard cut-out of Reg on stage. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
DonQuixote2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:09 pm 
Post subject:

Very Happy Fat Reg from Pinner..don't think he took too kindly to that...
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:50 pm 

A couple of interesting names in that line-up Pete. Grapefruit, a type of pychodelic poppy band, who were one of the first acts signed by the Beatles for their Apple label. If you check them out on you tube ,they are quite good. They never really took off, but quite collectable.That advert/flyer would therefore be collectable Apologies if you know all this stuff. .Don Partridge was a street busker, who went on to have a few chart hits, 'Rosie' being one of them ..This was in the 1960's early 1970's. I then saw him in Chester in the 1980's and he was back to busking in the street. The Love Affairs lead singer, Steve Ellis, had a great voice, but packed the business in and became a docker. Possibly Millwall way?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: