Football Programmes Centre

Unique Spurs item
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Unique Spurs item
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:05 am 
Post subject: Unique Spurs item

I have just taken delivery of a quite unique item.

It's a set of Bone China knives engraved with the Spurs crest which were presented by the Tottenham board to the Chairman of Dunfermline when the clubs met in the Texaco Cup in 1970/71.

They won't be to everybody's taste, but they are certainly different (and pigs to photograph because of the reflection!)

littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:03 pm 
Post subject:

Beautiful mate, cracking bit of provenance too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
holtie96

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:14 pm 
Post subject: Foo

Superb! Cheers for sharing....
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:24 pm 
Post subject:

Nice, but I always feel a bit sad when looking at items like this, items that are made to be used but the chances are they never will, just sit in a box in a drawer gathering dust. A bit like record collectors who never play the record.

At least on a whole, programmes will be read and tickets will be used.
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:58 am 
Post subject: Unique Spurs item

Cheers for the comments guys.

I take your point Tynie, about non usage, but for me the sadder thing is that I purchased them direct from the ex Chairman's Grandson.
I don't get how you would let them leave the family for a few quid.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:27 am 
Post subject: Re: Unique Spurs item

Five and In wrote:
I take your point Tynie, about non usage, but for me the sadder thing is that I purchased them direct from the ex Chairman's Grandson.

A lot of people have no interest in collectables, that's the bottom line.

Perhaps if more clubs had museums/displays or people who looked after their history/artefacts then items like these would find there way there. Still amazes me that most clubs do not have a copy of every programme they themselves issued.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:04 am 

Tynie Topics wrote:
Five and In wrote:

Perhaps if more clubs had museums/displays or people who looked after their history/artefacts then items like these would find there way there. Still amazes me that most clubs do not have a copy of every programme they themselves issued.

My club has nothing, zilch, polo hole, not a sausage.
Apart from a modest little cabinet of motley looking trophies, they have absolutely nothing to show for 105 years of history.

Like most clubs (I assume), they only live for the here & now unfortunately.

When the club celebrated their centenary in 2012, the Newport Museum ran a nice exhibition of our historic memorabilia, all put together by four of us fans. The club had nothing to contribute.

So perhaps the saddest fact of all is, without us mad anorak collectors preserving our rich (& not so rich) histories, it really would all be lost forever.

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:23 am 

littlewiggy wrote:
Tynie Topics wrote:
Five and In wrote:

Apart from a modest little cabinet of motley looking trophies, they have absolutely nothing to show for 105 years of history.

Like most clubs (I assume), they only live for the here & now unfortunately.

When the club celebrated their centenary in 2012, the Newport Museum ran a nice exhibition of our historic memorabilia, all put together by four of us fans. The club had nothing to contribute.

So perhaps the saddest fact of all is, without us mad anorak collectors preserving our rich (& not so rich) histories, it really would all be lost forever.

APART from the 1000'S OF SCROATS FLOGGING SIGNED SHIT WITH THEIR SHARPIE PENS AND A GOOD NUMBER ARE COMPLETE FAKES!-Sorry for the Hijack Liam but the shirts and the prints and all the other framed worthless tat just gets on my wick-is that the future then?! off to me bed Get My Coat

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Jamesy1926

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:44 am 
Post subject:

Totally agree Leslie.

Whilst ebay can be a useful resource in terms of acquiring items, the amount of utter shite has surely now reached record levels.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:36 am 
Post subject:

Jamesy1926 wrote:
Totally agree Leslie.

Whilst ebay can be a useful resource in terms of acquiring items, the amount of utter shite has surely now reached record levels.

I agree too.

Wading through piles of rubbish to try and find something interesting on eBay reminds me of trying to wade through lakes of piss to have a half-time pee at a 1980s football ground!

Smile

manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:40 am 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
Jamesy1926 wrote:
Totally agree Leslie.

I agree too.

Wading through piles of rubbish to try and find something interesting on eBay reminds me of trying to wade through lakes of piss to have a half-time pee at a 1980s football ground!

Smile

1976 Cup Final at half time at old shitty Wembley, it was running in streams everywhere!, let's change the topic! Laughing

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:48 am 

littlewiggy wrote:

Did a lot of it disappear when the original club went bust, or was it never there in the first place?

You're correct in saying that if it wasn't for us saddos, a lot of clubs history would have been skipped.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:53 am 

Five and In wrote:
I have just taken delivery of a quite unique item.

It's a set of Bone China knives engraved with the Spurs crest which were presented by the Tottenham board to the Chairman of Dunfermline when the clubs met in the Texaco Cup in 1970/71.

They won't be to everybody's taste, but they are certainly different (and pigs to photograph because of the reflection!)

I like them and would have bought them had they been a MUFC item.

I was once offered a cutlery box from 1958 with a brass plaque on it from the Manchester United team[pre-crash] to a well known journalist for £1000 only 2 things were wrong-there was no cutlery inside the box and the price was somewhat OTT!. I believe it is still available but the seller is adamant that it is worth it-well perhaps so but not for this muggins!

Wave

littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:56 am 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:
Jamesy1926 wrote:
Totally agree Leslie.

I agree too.

Smile

1976 Cup Final at half time at old shitty Wembley, it was running in streams everywhere!, let's change the topic! Laughing

Lol, if you didn't experience our football grounds in the 70s & 80s then you never lived Leslie!

Like queuing for 25 minutes at the half-time snack hut, only to discover that all ten sausage rolls had been sold hours ago, and the only thing that was ever left was a Wagon Wheel or plain crisps.

Very Happy

littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:02 am 

Tynie Topics wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:

Did a lot of it disappear when the original club went bust, or was it never there in the first place?

You're correct in saying that if it wasn't for us saddos, a lot of clubs history would have been skipped.

Yes you're quite right Tynie, the club never had much even before they went bust, but what little they did have disappeared sharpish before the official receiver kicked the gates down.

One thing we did have was a club bar wall that was laden with team photographs, all the way from inception back in 1912.

I've no idea what happened to those, but they were all taken "for safe keeping" only to never see the light of day again. lol

Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:03 am 
Post subject:

A lot of the Newport stuff was sold at auction when the club went tits up, and it included the kitchen sink from what I can remember.

If my memory serves me right there used to be a guy in PM many moons ago who wrote about collecting programmes as an investment (was it Peter Barber?) and he bought a lot of the stuff from the sale, which I think was held at Somerton Park. Of course, that was in the days long before auctions and the internet were around, and I think the stuff went quite cheaply on the whole.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:10 am 
Post subject:

I've long since finished collecting programmes per se, bar Auchinleck's of course, and any genuine bargains I see out there, but still collect memorabilia. So much easier to store, not as many collectors of it so don't pay through the roof for such items, and they are genuinely interesting.

From the clubs themselves I have a nice assortment of early 1950s Xmas cards, whilst collecting items such as the old card fixture lists is a relatively cheap way of building up a collection as well as old postcards (am collecting mainly pre WW2 league clubs, not the plethora of non league items about) and they can all be stored in the absolute minimum of space instead of acres and acres of shelving.

Having said that have taken hold of a number of Auchinleck Talbot shirts recently and they're going to end up mounted and framed, but will give the office a nice look to it - and storage on the walls doesn't actually count!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:16 am 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
A lot of the Newport stuff was sold at auction when the club went tits up, and it included the crap sink from what I can remember.

If my memory serves me right there used to be a guy in PM many moons ago who wrote about collecting programmes as an investment (was it Peter Barber?) and he bought a lot of the stuff from the sale, which I think was held at Somerton Park. Of course, that was in the days long before auctions and the internet were around, and I think the stuff went quite cheaply on the whole.

It was John, but it was only general stuff like shirts, kit, player armbands, pennants, the clocks off the walls, rickety office furniture, that type of thing.
Nothing of any great historical value.
Stuff like the ornamental gifts received from our European opponents etc were all kept by well meaning supporters / directors.

It wasn't held at Somerton Park though, we'd long been kicked out by then, it was held at Abbey Auctions in Dock Road mate.

Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:34 am 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
[Stuff like the ornamental gifts received from our European opponents etc were all kept by well meaning supporters / directors.

I was going to ask that, has this stuff disappeared?

It reminds me of a visit I made to Brussels club Union St Gilloise, a power in Belgian football pre-war who played in Europe in the 1960’s, but subsequently fell on hard times for a long spell and fell to the fourth level (they are now in the second tier). I found myself in their boardroom after one match I attended at the lovely Parc Duden about 10 years ago, I asked about when my club Hearts had played them there in the Fairs Cup in the early 60’s but they had nothing from the match. Whatever gift Hearts had handed over had long gone along with a lot of other stuff from their Euro adventures (inc games against Juventus and Roma), probably pilfered by persons unknown when the club was in a bit of turmoil, maybe sold to keep them going.

I gave them the programme from the game at Tynecastle (there was no issue for the game in Brussels) so they had something from the match, and I was delighted to see on a recent visit to the Hearts museum that they still have the gift received from Union for that match, a lovely ceramic plate.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:48 am 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:
[Stuff like the ornamental gifts received from our European opponents etc were all kept by well meaning supporters / directors.

I was going to ask that, has this stuff disappeared?

Well it's disappeared as in it's no longer at the club, and their whereabouts isn't widely known Tynie.

I know who has them though, and I said "well meaning" because they're with chaps of great integrity, and I fully believe they merely wanted to safeguard them from ending up in non-Newport County hands.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: