Football Programmes Centre

What's the rarest programme in your collection?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What's the rarest programme in your collection?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CraigFairlie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:45 am 
Post subject: What's the rarest programme in your collection?

As above really.

The rarest i have is from the Postponed Celtic V Rosenborg game from September 2001. The match was to be played on 12th September 2001 but was postponed for obvious reasons. A new programme was produce and apparently old copies were 'destroyed' and according to an old celtic programme website it went for '£20+' but i got it on eBay for £4 including postage!

Cheers

Craig
WoodyCAFC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:47 am 
Post subject:

Mine's a Charlton v Cambridge 78/79 postponed issue. It's rare because not many survived, and I'd never even seen mention of one existing, until I chanced upon it for 75p at a programme fair years ago.

It wasn't till I got home that I realised it wasn't the issue I thought it was (dates weren't usually put on the home Charlton programmes that season, and most covers were the same - or very similar looking).

I still don't think that a lot of Charlton or Cambridge collectors realise about this postponed issue, so I don't think it has an actual value.

I've never seen one pop up again since, but I'm sure I did read somewhere years ago that something like only 50 were out there. Some Charlton and Cambridge probably have this programme in their collection without realising it!
TheMusic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:29 pm 
Post subject:

This is an interesting thread although I fear many don't know their rarest one or don't want to reveal what they may have.

Although probably not the most valuable item I own, a Brixham - Bristol Rovers single-sheet programme I have from the 1970s is the only one I know of in existence. The person who gave it me was part of the home club staff in those days and said only ten or so were printed on the day. I've posted a picture of it in the past on the forum.
slugger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:01 pm 
Post subject: Brixham vs Bristol rovers

Hi

If it's 1972 then I have it as a reserve issue as rovers first team were in the Witney cup.

Jamie will know for sure though.

Cheers

John
TheMusic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:43 pm 
Post subject:

Hi John,

That's right - I remember now it was a pre-season practice match on 5th August 1972 - here is the original forum thread on the fixture: (https://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16147&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20)

but I'm still to hear of any news on other existing copies of the programme. I've no idea if this is the rarest one I've got, but I'd be happy to hear if anyone knows of any more out there. I'm not a Rovers (or Brixham) collector so have no in-depth knowledge of their programmes.

Furthermore, I suppose it's nigh on impossible to know if the one copy of a particular programme is the only one left in existence, but I imagine out there somewhere there must be only single copies of certain league or FA Cup programmes - I wonder though if this only starts to be the case with pre-war issues and, if so, how old the 'youngest' sole match programme in existence is...

On another tenuously related topic, does anyone know what the oldest surviving programme is from an official league match (any league)?
slugger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:06 pm 
Post subject: Brixham vs Bristol rovers

That's 2 copies then with yours and mine.

Cheers

John
TheMusic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:09 pm 
Post subject:

The search to own the only surviving copy of a match programme continues then Wink Sherlock Smile
slightfold

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:51 pm 
Post subject:

Here's a suggestion for The Music, buy slugger's copy and destroy it!!
TheMusic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:59 pm 
Post subject:

Knowing John, he won't just have the one!!! Smile
Rocon17

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:08 pm 
Post subject:

Good question.
Probably Woolwich Arsenal v Bolton 4/4/1908. I'm sure there are more copies out there though.
wdy11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:30 pm 
Post subject:

I'm not sure it's the rarest but the most valuable I own is an away European game vs Dinamo Tiblisi from 1973. I've got a few Postponed issues including an away Friendly at Oxford from 1975 for Rodney Smithsons testimonial which I would say is rarer but nit as sought after.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:14 am 
Post subject: Re: Brixham vs Bristol rovers

slugger wrote:
Hi

If it's 1972 then I have it as a reserve issue as rovers first team were in the Witney cup.

Jamie will know for sure though.

Cheers

John

Correct John.
This is counted as a Rovers reserve game.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:05 am 
Post subject:

Rarest Programme for Pompey Post War I have is.....

a single sheet v Brentford in the Southern Flootlight Challenge Cup

played 7th November 1955.

Very rarely seen on e bay, not even sure what the price would be ???

Of course the dearest Pompey would most probably the postponed v man utd away.......often seen of e bay & auctions.....out of this OAP,s price range.

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
mark01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:57 pm 
Post subject:

Rarest Bristol City programme post war I have is Nottingham Forest v Bristol city in the first year of the League cup, 1960/61.

Would be interested if any City or Forest collector has one. Mid week game with only 3690 in attendance.

regards, Mark
seand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:21 pm 
Post subject:

Probably (but I don't really know) Sligo Rovers v Dundalk from 2015. The original programme jumped the gun in announcing the departure of manager Owen Heary before he'd been let go! It was swiftly withdrawn and binned, but a few were rescued. I know a good handful of people with a copy, but there'll not be many coming available any time soon.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:36 pm 
Post subject:

Mine would have to be Sheff Weds v Rovers. 13-Jan-1906 in the F.A. Cup Round . Played at Owlerton.
I have never seen it for sale anywhere since I picked it up a good few years ago.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
slightfold

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:05 pm 
Post subject:

Amongst my varied lots I have a Maidstone United v Gillingham dated 15/2/91 postponed. Apparently less than 10 were saved from the bonfire. The bad winter meant that the Stones ended their season up with 5 consecutive home matches. I have only ever seen one appear on Ebay and that went for £60 a few years ago. Rarity does not always equate with price.
I also have a Newport County v Spurs 2nd Division 31/8/39 and have never seen another. It has often been said on here 'that where there's one there's two,'so I expect that to be true, though it must be quite rare!
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:52 am 
Post subject:

On the only 1 theme sadly Leslie seems to have the only copy of Manchester Uniteds FAC replay at Plymouth...a printers mock up in case of a replay in 73/4 ( possibly done because of the 3 day week and problems getting them printed in time otherwise).

Oldest...I have the first ever Plymouth league game v Swindon when they started their green portrait format programmes that lasted until the second world war from 1912/13..there is one other later known programme from that's season that came up at the same auction.

I suspect their are older Plymouth homes..I know a programme exists for the 1902 friendly v Forest.

As for my rarest, other than the above probably Gainsborough away in the FA Cup 50/1 took an age and a small fortune to find....and is the most unprepossesiing four pager...
notreve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:54 am 
Post subject: Arbroath v Berwick 2017

Arbroath v Berwick from earlier this year might qualify- Even after the final whistle the programmes hadnt arrived from the printers. As a ground-hopper who "needed" the programme I have managed to source one but I would be interested to note what happened to the rest- I dont suppose the club wanted to pay for them after the game so were they destroyed or is a boxful still languishing somewhere in which case mine isnt in the least rare!

pugwash

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:17 pm 
Post subject: Rarest Programme

I guess mine is the 1924 F.A.Cup Final programme.....Known as the "Rainy Day" final as many supporters used their programmes as makeshift umbrellas....Nice outer colour cover.... !!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: