Football Programmes Centre

Organised programme collecting - when did it begin?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Organised programme collecting - when did it begin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:16 pm 
Post subject: Organised programme collecting - when did it begin?

As the title says. In the Hearts programmes between 1946-1952 when it was edited by the "eccentric" George Robertson (he died in 1952), he used to list all the people he had received letters from asking for a copy of the programme, from all over the "empire" by the look of it, but with many requests from around the UK.

Whether these were collectors or not is open to speculation, but there was the odd quote printed now and again along the lines of "Thank you for the programmes, which are undoubtedly the best Scottish programme I have seen. Yours, Reginald Smithers. Surbiton."

Now we know that from the early 1950's the likes of Charles Buchan's Football Monthly carried adverts for swaps and programmes wanted/for sale, but was there any collecting going on pre-War? ie more than people just keeping programmes from games they went to?

Just when did actual "collecting" start?
Wullie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:23 pm 
Post subject:

I wonder about pre war programmes that were bound together. They are many "ex binder " issues about. Were these made for collectors or were they made for the club records?
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:47 pm 
Post subject:

Well Hearts used to advertise bound volumes of programmes for sale in the 50's (and a few have survived intact), so there was a market for them. Never seen an ex-bound volume pre-war Hearts though (not to say they dont exist)
Wullie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 pm 
Post subject:

Maybe that was the "style" of collecting pre war, for the few who could afford it. A bound volume . I guess kids would swop programmes years ago like they swapped comics and marbles, then maybe one or two, as they grew older, wrote to the secrectary of a club asking for a programme. I think the late David Stacey was one of the first dealers.
Here is a funny article, of a guy who tried to set up his own programme business.
http://www.salutnorth.com/2008/02/programmed-to-f.html
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:34 am 
Post subject:

As I mentioned in another thread. I worked in a chaps house a while back and his father collected Arsenal progs when he went to games from around 1904 to around the fifties. So I imagine it has been going on for a long time.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Wulfrunian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:46 pm 
Post subject:

As far as I am aware, most fans, even more so than now, only went to home or local away games. Travel wasnt as easy, so most collections contained few away programmes. But I know for a fact that my Grandad had a collection of Big Match 'programmes' going back into the 1800s. Im not sure when most clubs started producing programmes for general league games, but would imagine for most it would be between 1910 and 1920. Maybe someone knows this more factually. However I would think that it that collecting as a buying and selling hobby for general league programmes from games people hadn't attended would have been more of a post War thing. Then again I could just be a senile old twit lol.

"You only have one life, I gave mine to the Wolves" - Stan Cullis 1916 - 2001
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: