Football Programmes Centre

Tribute to Chris Smith
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tribute to Chris Smith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs. In honour of Gordon Bennett. RIP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:47 pm 
Post subject: Tribute to Chris Smith

Longtime organiser of the Shrewsbury fair .....extract taken from the STFC website -

Shrewsbury Town Legend passes

Shrewsbury Town have been saddened to hear about the passing of club Legend Chris Smith yesterday.

Chris has been a big part of the club over many years supporting Shrewsbury Town. He went to his first match age two with his grandad Sam Powell who was the Town physio and trainer at the time, and that was where his link to the club began.

His first voluntary work began aged 13 years of age as a programme seller. In the early 1970's he helped form the supporters football side, organise and run the away travel club and in later years the Super Blues which has helped many projects at the club.

He followed the club all over the country both home and away, as well as on trips abroad. He was known to supporters at clubs throughout the divisions and was well respected by programme and sports memorabilia collectors.

When the club announced it was looking to recognise club Legends, Chris was the only non-playing member to be named in the initial illustrious list of ten.

Despite battling MS in later years Chris still was a regular at the Greenhous Meadow and was at the recent supporters award evening hosted at the stadium

Shrewsbury Town chairman Roland Wycherley spoke on behalf of the club.

“I am shocked and saddened that we have received the news that Chris has passed away”, said the Chairman.

“He has been a lifelong supporter of Shrewsbury Town and has done so much for the club over that time.

“From a young age he travelled the country supporting the club and then became a driving force behind the supporters groups.

“His work with the Super Blues club has seen it help many projects at the Gay Meadow and at the Greenhous Meadow.

“He was inducted into the Shrewsbury Town Legends and is the first supporter to have that honour bestowed on him.

“He will be sadly missed by everyone contacted with the football club and our thoughts are with Sylvia, his family and friends at this very sad time.”

Read more at http://www.shrewsburytown.com/.....uvvGXwk.99
slightfold

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:16 pm 
Post subject:

I too am shocked and saddened to hear of Chris's passing. I would like to add my condolences to his family for their loss. I dealt with Chris on quite a few occasions, and always found him to be a really genuine bloke who fought his battle with MS. His work with the Shrewsbury supporters' travel arrangements was exemplary and he will be greatly missed at the club.
R.I.P. Chris.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:53 pm 
Post subject:

I never had the pleasure as far as I recall, but very sad news.
He sounded a proper football man.

RIP Chris.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:37 pm 
Post subject:

did some programme fairs with him back in the day.

RIP
mgmbarside

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:44 pm 
Post subject: CHRIS SMITH

remember him over the years helped me track down shrewsbury v colchester old ones then meet in at programme FAIRS , when i did them with again the late david stacey ,all the good ones are going RIP
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:22 pm 
Post subject:

That's sad news - I had a long chat with him at the Shrewsbury Fair back in 2012.
When I brought up the subject of the rather scarce (to put it mildly) mid-60s Shrews v Derby s/s friendly, he told me last copy he saw went for over £200.
He knew his stuff.
NVQ Assessor

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:38 am 
Post subject:

a legend in the Shropshire football/memorabilia community.
CHRIS GIBBS

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:30 am 
Post subject:

Very sad to hear the news of the death of Chris Smith. Most clubs have someone who like Chris can be relied on to help with enquiries programme wise and I have been in contact with him for a long time. With Pompey getting promoted I had been waiting for the usual call from him re a programme exchange next season. Always helpful and worth finding at all the big programme fairs for a long chat about programmes and football in general. Well done to Shrewsbury in adding him to their Legends list, something more clubs should do. Condolences to his family.
Fishy

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:00 pm 
Post subject:

Another sad loss to 'our world'.

I never met Chris, but I believe that he found me a nice Shrews Reserves v Millwall a few years back.

RIP
48/9 Newport.
49/0 Walsall; Exeter.
50/1 Port Vale.
51/2 Port Vale 1/5.
52/3 Swindon.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs. In honour of Gordon Bennett. RIP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: