Football Programmes Centre

Forest Green Rovers
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forest Green Rovers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slightfold

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:00 pm 
Post subject: Forest Green Rovers

Congratulations to the newest member of the Football League. Their approach and innovations will certainly be a talking point!
grantham

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:13 pm 
Post subject:

The Rushden & Diamonds approach to football Smile

With a side of trying to be Eco
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:07 pm 
Post subject:

i finish all the 92 last Feb and now the only team in the play-offs i havent been to go and get promoted Sad
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:26 pm 
Post subject:

No congrats from me, just sour grapes.
Now they'll be able to offer League football as well as five times our wages for players.

Sad

Wait till away fans see their place, it's a village with a 6,000 population and no train station. Just a good walk up a massive hill.
No meat pies or burgers either, the guy who's spent £10m getting them to the FL is an obsessive veggie who doesn't allow them to sell meat products.

Feel sorry for Tranny, a proper football club.

Sad Sad

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:46 pm 
Post subject:

I'm with you Littlewiggy. No congrats from me either. I used to like the old set up. The new set up is truly a very soulless and depressing place to be at.
I also heard that they use cow manure on the ground to fertilize the ground. No wonder no player ever kisses the grass when they score!!!
The only consolation being that at least I won't have to go there next season to see them play my team Torquay United!!
DySporting

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:56 pm 
Post subject:

As someone who lives within 5 miles of FGR - I was cheering on Tranmere.
I know football evolves and but clubs such as FGR/Fylde and Fleetwood irritate me. Plastic clubs who are bankrolled. I’ve had a few disagreements about this view in the past and I just Rushden & Diamonds to them.
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:05 pm 
Post subject:

So many criticise Abramovic and Sheikh Mansour for "buying" success and then I see so many of the same people saying how great this is. It's exactly the same, just lower down the pyramid.
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:48 pm 
Post subject:

i hate to see clubs bankrolled from top to bottom
CodeXIII

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:50 pm 
Post subject:

interesting.
I was expecting a wave of congratulations but it seems football is like rugby league and is split on the new clubs getting success (bought or not).

Only time will tell. If it's sustainable it might last, but only a few thousand residents, it does seem strange.

I note the reference to Fylde and Fleetwood. What's the opinion on the likes of AFC Liverpool, Salford City and FC United?

the RL equivalent could be a badly run Bradford Bulls going belly up but new teams from Toulouse and Toronto blazing a trail.
Interesting times.
Paul Johnson

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:57 pm 
Post subject:

CodeXIII wrote:
interesting.
I was expecting a wave of congratulations but it seems football is like rugby league and is split on the new clubs getting success (bought or not).

Only time will tell. If it's sustainable it might last, but only a few thousand residents, it does seem strange.

I note the reference to Fylde and Fleetwood. What's the opinion on the likes of AFC Liverpool, Salford City and FC United?

the RL equivalent could be a badly run Bradford Bulls going belly up but new teams from Toulouse and Toronto blazing a trail.
Interesting times.

I dont like to see Salford doing well either but FC manchester are a fans club like Liverpool so they dont bother me.
RL has a history of getting new teams into the league instead of looking after their own and rarely does it work
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:58 pm 
Post subject:

You'd like to think the FFP rules in the Football League will finally curb their spending, but I'm not holding my breath.

I expect their Ecotricity owner will get around it by sponsoring them for £5m or failing that, buying 3million replica shirts from the club shop portakabin.

It's a sad day in football when a millionaire's village plaything takes the place of a great club like Orient.

Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:00 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:

It's a sad day in football when a millionaire's village plaything takes the place of a great club like Orient.

Hear, hear.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:41 pm 
Post subject:

Are you running the risk of being thrown out of the ground if you sneak a sausage roll or ham sandwich through the turnstiles?

I'm glad to read it wasn't just me who felt a bit uneasy about today's result (even though they were the better team on the day).
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:04 pm 
Post subject:

Ross County.

Population of Dingwall: 5,491
Capacity of Victoria Park: 6,541

They are to a certain degree bankrolled by the majority shareholder, but they do try and keep it real, and to be fair they do draw support from Inverness and the wider catchment area.
slightfold

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:10 pm 
Post subject:

It does not seem that anyone on here is pleased to see FGR enter the Football League! To win the play-off with 3 goals from outside the box would appear well merited, So to me it seems churlish not to offer any congrats.This was their 3rd final so they were probably going to get there eventually
All teams these days are bankrolled to varying degrees. It seems less so the lower down and attracts opprobrium. We have seen Max Griggs' Rushden & .Diamonds rise and eventually fall. Crawley were playing before 100 until they got funding. Further up it is ok to buy foreign 'stars' for obscene amounts and wages and bring in foreign managers.
Agreed that it is sad to see great old clubs fall from grace, but if you don't sort out your results you fall through the trapdoor, but at least there is still a way back in,, unlike the old voting system.
Irrespective in this instance of whether you can get meat pies there, are not vegan or green I welcome FGR and all new blood to the League.
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:23 pm 
Post subject:

I'm afraid that I see things very differently. The amount of abuse that is directed at Chelsea and Manchester City is absolutely huge because they have been bankrolled. Yet it's "churlish" not to congratulate a team that have done exactly the same at the level that they are at. The way in which FGR have behaved is no different to There's No Soul that continue to destroy any interest in the League of Wales due to it being a one horse race every year.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:42 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:

For years, supporters of more traditional German clubs detested TSG Hoffenheim who were bankrolled by billionaire Dietmar Hopp and rose through the leagues into the top flight despite their original village status. This hatred was transferred to Red Bull Leipzig who were only formed in 2009, but with sponsorship from the drinks company have enjoyed the same journey. Both finished the season in the Champions League places.

The same scenarios are also being witnessed in China, Russia and Rumania. Sad as it may be for the traditionalists amongst us, it's unfortunately a sign of the times.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:48 pm 
Post subject:

Ronsaunders wrote:
I'm afraid that I see things very differently. The amount of abuse that is directed at Chelsea and Manchester City is absolutely huge because they have been bankrolled. Yet it's "churlish" not to congratulate a team that have done exactly the same at the level that they are at. The way in which FGR have behaved is no different to There's No Soul that continue to destroy any interest in the League of Wales due to it being a one horse race every year.

Spot on.

Forest Green were paying Lee Hughes almost four grand a week three years ago, on crowds of 700, so you can imagine what the likes of Matty Taylor, Matt Tubbs etc have been on since.

They've been forcing other clubs to spend stupidly beyond their means just to try & compete for years.

Their promotion is bad for Newport County and bad for football in general.

Lincoln on the other hand I congratulate wholeheartedly.

Viola19

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:10 am 
Post subject:

Spal being promoted to Serie A this weekend in Italy restores my faith.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:40 am 
Post subject:

Strange one this,

I confess I was rooting for a Tranmere return, but I wouldn't deny FGR their success.

There does appear to be a proverbial hang up over the issue of bankrolling a club, especially at a lower level. (The Chelsea and Manchester City scenario's are not the same)

Its been said many a time that its a shame nobody invests in a small local club, but when somebody does, all of a sudden attitudes change, sometimes even amongst their own support because as a rule people don't like change. The guy at Salford City, the handyman was lamenting that things would never be the same.

In regards to Forest Green, As their manager Mark Cooper said 'When I played for them, they were a friendly little club, part-time. Everyone loved them because they weren't a threat. Once they became a threat, nobody liked them'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: