Football Programmes Centre

Bits of old football grounds in your collection
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bits of old football grounds in your collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colchestersid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:28 pm 
Post subject: Bits of old football grounds in your collection

This is a sign that used to hang at the back of the North Bank at West Ham, above the exit

Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:21 pm 
Post subject:

I've got a small lump of the old Holmesdale Terrace (Selhurst Park), but a bit more impressive are a set of original wooden seats from the (Archiebald Leitch) Main Stand at Selhurst Park dating from when the ground an stand were opened in 1924. They live in my shed!

Palace sold them off at £20 per seat 4 years ago, when they 'upgraded' the stand following promotion. I got the rust off the legs and put some hammerite on them, then mounted them up on a base I made. For me its not just about having something unusual in my collection, its about bothering to preserve a bit of the clubs history - the club no doubt would have just chucked them out if the fans hadn't expressed an interest to buy them.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:00 pm 
Post subject:

Stunning items.

Sid's sign is a poignant nod to one of football's darkest days, and a lovely item to own.

Dorking's seats are fantastic, proper football ground seats unlike the cheap bucket seats of today.

Two lovely pieces of history.

Sadly I don't own a piece of Somerton Park.
Still bitter at the way the old County went to the wall, I didn't exactly have my collectors' head on when the bulldozers razed it to the ground in 1993 - and all our stand seats ended up elsewhere - some in the current stand at Weston-super-Mare, and the others at the now defunct Hayley Speedway Stadium.

In more modern times, I did see this large perspex sign on the outside perimeter wall of the main stand before our FA Cup game with Swansea City in 2006 - so on the way out I ripped it down and brought it home with me.

No idea why really, it's been wrapped up and stuck behind my wardrobe ever since.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:11 pm 
Post subject:

Do they not normally have directional signs up then? What if they'd needed it the following week???

ps good luck v Carlisle
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:39 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
Do they not normally have directional signs up then? What if they'd needed it the following week???

ps good luck v Carlisle

Cheers mate.

Thumbs Up

No, we were at Spytty Park in those days in Conference South - so there was no segregation and no restriction on standing or sitting - you paid your tenner to get in and went where you liked.

So you only had the segregation, restriction of movement etc for the big cup games.
And as Swansea won 3-1, there was not going to be a next week, hence me helping myself to the sign - which incidentally was quite well screwed on and took some brute-force to rip off!! lol

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:52 am 
Post subject:

Great topic, and some lovely bits shown already. I've probably walked under that West Ham/Ibrox sign a few times - vaguely remember seeing similar signs at a couple of other grounds too. I'd imagine the Boleyn was pretty much stripped bare by souvenir hunters, although that United match probably wouldn't have been a good night to get caught trying to get in with screwdrivers, chisels and the like...

I'm not one to give much of a stuff about home furnishings, but the hook on the back of the bathroom door is one of my favourite things. Cast iron, dating from when Cowes' (new) main stand was first built c.1923. Salvaged when the dressing rooms were refurbed in the late-1980s. Wish I'd thought to grab a couple more now...

yachtsmun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:57 am 
Post subject:

Wish I'd known about the Palace seats sell-off - I'd have gladly stumped up for two or three of them.
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:57 pm 
Post subject:

Interesting topic this Thumbs Up

I managed to get a couple of bits and bobs from my other sporting passion St Helens RLFC. Knowsley Rd was home to the Saints for over 100 years until it's closure in 2010. The facilities were basic to say the least but I loved standing on the terraces and soaking up the great atmosphere. Sadly the stadium didn't move with the times and we now play in a soul-less stadium on the other side of town - "The Totally Wicked Stadium"!! Crying or Very sad Our old stadium actually doubled for Old Trafford in the George Best film and a couple of years before closure I noticed an old fashioned turnstile in a skip outside the ground. This was there due to some remedial work on the ground but it was only later that I learned the true history of this artefact. In 1970 my beloved football club were turning the Paddock into the Main Stand and dispensing with their turnstiles. Saints actually took these and incorporated them into their ground and in turn one of them ended up in the skip on this particular day. Had I known this at the time, I would have made an effort to rescue it, quite where I would have put it is another matter! Laughing

Anyway, the images are part of the stand seats where I sat behind the Bradford coach on the famous "wide to West" game, and the sign from the grass directly in fron of the Dunriding Rd entrance. This was where Tommy Docherty bollocked George Bet in the film!! Laughing

Viola19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:47 am 
Post subject: My old seat from Filbert Street, Carling Stand.

colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:41 pm 
Post subject: Re: Bits of old football grounds in your collection

colchestersid wrote:
This is a sign that used to hang at the back of the North Bank at West Ham, above the exit

Decided to offer this up on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/West.....SwONBZAzrE
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: