Football Programmes Centre

Ethelston Cup programmes
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ethelston Cup programmes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes For Sale at Fixed Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:29 pm 
Post subject: Ethelston Cup programmes

Picked up a lovely batch of single sheet programmes in great condition from the Commander Ethelston Cup today – an historic competition competed for by non-league sides in the Whitchurch area of Shropshire.
I’m a bit of a non-league buff and have collected them on and and off for almost 40 years but have never seen programmes from these games but am aware they existed.
These are finals from 1953, 1955, 1964, 1976 and 1977 and are the proverbial hen’s teeth, rocking horse poo, etc.
The cup was created during the 1908-09 season in memory of war hero Commander Alfred Peel Ethelston by his brother Edmund, who lived at the family home – Hinton Hall in Whitchurch.
Ten years earlier the naval commander, serving aboard HMS Powerful in the Boer War, had been killed at the Battle of Graspan.
Ethelston was a keen cricketer and a fine footballer, having represented the United Services.
After he died, the Royal Navy installed memorials to him at Portsmouth, Chatham, Dartmouth and Plymouth, and in his home town of Whitchurch he would be remembered by a silver-plated football trophy which – with a diameter of 50cm and a height of 54cm – was bigger than the original FA Cup. It bears the Ethelston family crest and details of the battle in which the commander lost his life, and the great man’s campaign medals are set into the base. The first winners of the cup were Whitchurch Working Men’s Hall.
The money raised by the Commander Ethelston Cup was originally donated to Whitchurch Cottage Hospital, but many other local charities have benefited in recent years.
Entry to the competition is by invitation only to clubs from Shropshire and Cheshire, and the final always takes place at Yockings Park, the home of Whitchurch Alport.
Incidentally, the trophy is so valuable no-one is allowed to keep it for display – it is presented to the winners then whisked away back to a bank vault!
The programmes have been provisionally sold.
Diolch pawb
Mark Thumbs Up

Tim57

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:00 pm 
Post subject: Ethelston Cup programmes

Can you help me and my brother with the following please? He believes he saw our father score the winning goal in the 1957 final which he believes was between Whitchurch Alport Reserves and Whixall. In trying to find out whether this is true I googled ‘Ethelston Cup’, and saw a reference in an Oswestry paper claiming that Prees had won the cup that year - someone claimed to have seen a photograph in the Prees clubhouse of their cup winning team. Our Dads name was Basil Clarke. That he played for the Reserves is not in dispute, but as my brother was only 5 at the time he’witnessed’ this feat, he may be mistaken. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks Tim
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes For Sale at Fixed Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: