Football Programmes Centre

Another Chester photo mystery
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Another Chester photo mystery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:21 pm 
Post subject: Another Chester photo mystery

Had another batch of Chester photos in today and I like this one but other than the Chester Chronicle stamp there's nothing on the back, although someone has kindly written in pencil "Davis scores".

Chester played in stripes with the large central badge in the 1958/9 season, so they are defending here and the visitors are scoring. So probably Mr Davis is in a red shirt - but who is this Davis and who does he play for? And of course he might be a Davies.

Chester's 1958/9 opponents probably in red shirts included::-

York City (who may have worn black socks)
Exeter City (who may have had black trim)
Walsall (whose shirts may have had collars)
Workington (perfect kit match but nobody called Davis/Davies)
Crewe Alex (whose shirts had a large badge on left breast)

Kit info courtesy of HFK as usual.

So as always all help greatly appreciated - thank you very much - here's the very nice photo

Sherlock
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
iucrmh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:36 pm 
Post subject:

Just to throw a curve ball at you, Chester played in green shirts with yellow V-neck, white shorts and green and yellow socks in 59/60 and 60/61, and had both a Davis and a Davies on the score sheet a few times, so it could be them scoring.

However, a quick scan on chester-city.co.uk and I don't see them scoring against anyone in stripes yet.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:46 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you, yes a curve ball - however, the Davies you refer to was a young Ron Davies and it certainly isn't him.

And the picture below (according to our friend with the pencil) shows the famous Davis scoring v Barrow and it's not the same bloke as in the first pic.

So talking of curve balls - if Chester were in blue & white stripes, Barrow may have been in blue or they may have changed to red?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:39 pm 
Post subject: Another Chester photo mystery

Here's another (unlikely) curve ball.

Could the Davies scores note possibly be in reference to the advertising on the stand? Sherlock
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:21 pm 
Post subject: Re: Another Chester photo mystery

Five and In wrote:
Here's another (unlikely) curve ball.

Could the Davies scores note possibly be in reference to the advertising on the stand?
Sherlock

Maybe, and Davies Tyres could be in reference to him fading at the end of the game?
whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:12 pm 
Post subject:

Crewe played in horizontal striped socks and didn't have the big chest badge during parts of 58/59 season (although the picture doesn't suggest red and white socks).

Stan Keery scored the winner for the Alex at Chester on 22nd April 1959 - picture shows a sunny day, which could be late April.
whosbrianwilson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:14 pm 
Post subject:

Having studied it more, I don't think its Crewe.

The socks may be red but the other colour doesn't look white - more yellow?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:34 am 
Post subject:

Thanks WBW - I'm pretty sure it's not Crewe as the one below is pencilled on the back Chester v Crewe and with Chester in stripes with that badge it must be 58/9.

As you can see Crewe wore red shirts with a badge and plain red socks. That's if our friend with the pencil is right, of course.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: