Football Programmes Centre

ST HELENS TOWN v MANCHESTER CITY 1949/50
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
ST HELENS TOWN v MANCHESTER CITY 1949/50

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetown3673

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:01 am 
Post subject: ST HELENS TOWN v MANCHESTER CITY 1949/50

Picked this up in a second hand book shop in Todmorden. Only paid a £5 I am almost certain it is a copy as it is in near mint condition, I wasnt bothered as it is worth that for the interest alone. Anyone have any info on this?
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:28 am 
Post subject:

It is possible it is a copy because it was circulated a few years back. The copy was produced at a smaller size and the paper was more glossy(the original was a matt finish) and a much brighter yellow colour.
Still, the easiest way to tell is the fact that they had a number----and all the copies(as far as I am aware) had the same number. If you come back with the number I will be able to help.
capetown3673

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:43 pm 
Post subject:

Number is 1946
Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, that is the number of the reprint.

Incidentally, this was the club (St. H) from which Bert Trautmann came to City---this game was arranged to raise further funds for the home team.
City put out what was in reality a reserve team with Bert in goal.
Seeing that the St.Helens club secretary was Berts father in law, poor Bert got it in the neck (not the only time as we all know). Bert complained to the City directors about this and they re-arranged another friendly match at the end of 1950/1951 season---this time City duly obliged with the 1st team squad.
The 1950/1951 match programme is the scarcer of the two but both are difficult to obtain------unless a fellow member has one to sell?
capetown3673

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:34 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for that, I knew it was a long shot that it was an original,but for a fiver its not an issue.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: