Football Programmes Centre

GREAT GLASGOW FAIR: May 28
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
GREAT GLASGOW FAIR: May 28
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs. In honour of Gordon Bennett. RIP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westwardprogs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:35 pm 
Post subject: GREAT GLASGOW FAIR: May 28

I see that Douglas Stevenson is organising the Great Glasgow Fair at the Holiday Inn, West Nile Street on Sunday May 28 (11am - 3pm).
Do any of our Scottish colleagues have any information about the event?
As I shall be at Pudsey for the Yorkshire Fair on Saturday May 27, I am tempted, perhaps, to journey on to Glasgow for a second Fair of the weekend.
Eck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:39 am 
Post subject:

Douglas sent me a message this morning, here is the line up for the fair, all spaces are filled.

Stuart Marshall

Tam Smith Badges

Alex Boyd

Sportingold (provisional)

Boyd Millar

Nick Westwell

Derek Hunter

Robert Marshall

Eric Brown

D+D Programmes

Last edited by Eck on Thu May 25, 2017 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Westwardprogs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:11 pm 
Post subject:

That's very interesting - thanks very much for the information.
Accies fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:25 pm 
Post subject:

Would all dealers planning to be at the Glasgow Fair please look out any Hamilton Accies programmes, team sheets, badges etc...The more the merrier, Thanks in advance, Graham
Eck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:05 am 
Post subject:

OK mate, I'll look out my Accies stuff, I think I have one away to Queens Park 48/49 btw.
Accies fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:57 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Eck
Eck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:49 pm 
Post subject:

Accies fan wrote:
Thanks Eck

Sorry mate my Queens Park v Hamilton is 52/53, I'll contact Dougie who is organising and i'll speak to the stallholders I know and ask them to get thier Hamilton stuff ready.
Accies fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:22 pm 
Post subject:

That's great Eck, thanks
Eck

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:44 pm 
Post subject:

Derek Hunter replaces Bill Austen who had to pull out.
Westwardprogs

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:19 pm 
Post subject:

Any feedback from anyone who attended?
Eck

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:47 pm 
Post subject:

A great day, made a few shillings myself, Douglas was a perfect host, good seeing old faces and new.
Well attended which was great to see.
Some really good and rare stuff on display today
A big thank you to Derek Hunter and his wife Rosie for taking me there and back.
marooned11

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:01 pm 
Post subject: Glasgow Programme Fair

Hi,
I can only endorse what Eck had to say about Sunday's Fair. Many thanks to all who attended, both buyers and sellers.The venue was absolutely excellent with plenty of space to chat, mingle and buy.A fine range of buyers was represented -Hamilton, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic, Partick Thistle, St, Johnstone and the junior ranks.
Special thanks to Douglas Stevenson for his enthusiasm and organisation and proving that there is a demand for programme fairs north of the border.
Derek Hunter.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:42 pm 
Post subject:

....although to be fair, there's always been a demand for fairs north of the border Derek, as we've shown at Auchinleck over the last three years, with your good self included. Where were the dealers then?
Eck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:39 am 
Post subject:

You kicked them off in Scotland again John, a lot of people who were at the Auchinleck fairs were in attendance on Sunday which was great to see.
Boyd Miller was once again talking about one in Ardeer in August, it would be good if that came off.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:52 am 
Post subject:

Boyd's spoken to me about it as well. Think August might not be the ebst of times to have it as folk who depend on having current season programmes to sell won't have had enough time to accrue many. We'll be having ours again in November again this year specifically for that reason.

Think March / April might be the ideal time to have one at Ardeer as everyone who sells current season will have a good stock, and it's a decent break from November/
Westwardprogs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:53 pm 
Post subject:

If a fair was held at Ardeen in August, I would seriously consider travelling up from Plymouth to take a stand.
No disrespect to other worthy posters, I would much prefer to undertake the 7-hour drive to and from Ayrshire in the relative warmth and light of a summer evening, rather than the wintry darkness of a November night.
Might it not be possible to organise one there in August and also one in the following April?
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:18 am 
Post subject:

I’m just back from watching Scotland U20’s beat Brazil at the Toulon Tournament, and there were a few collecting friends there as well (some are still there!). None of them went to the Glasgow Fair, they were of the opinion that it really wasn’t worth their while particularly if one of the few full time dealers in Scotland wasn’t attending, I held the same opinion and never went. The discussion then turned to what would make you go to a fair and I think we were in agreement that if it was more of an event, a Scottish equivalent of the big London fair in June, they’d be there.

I recall going to one the day after the Scotland v Latvia game in 2001 at one of the function suites at Hampden, all the main Scottish dealers at that time were there and I think I’m right in saying a couple of English dealers as well. Badge dealers, sports book dealers etc, people also took the opportunity to visit the newly opened Scottish Football Museum. The place was mobbed and I spent too much.

The Scottish collecting community should work towards getting an annual event like that established, maybe in the same area of the calendar as the London fair and run it in conjunction with the Museum and Hampden Tours, there’s a café on site and a shop, it’s a fantastic venue for this sort of thing. Hampden might be easy to deal with as far as a function suite is concerned with it being the off season and you’re bringing in business to the Museum/Café/Shop. I’m sure the main Scottish dealers would all buy into it, and you may even attract a few from south of the border.

This is what the Scottish collecting scene has been badly missing for years. The smaller fairs certainly have their place, but I think we need an annual “showcase” event, and I think there is still the interest there to make it a success.

Thoughts?
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:13 am 
Post subject:

Then again, maybe the lack of comment shows there's a lack on interest in large event fairs in Scotland these days.
Eck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:01 am 
Post subject:

The fair was a success as stated, I don't go along with your view that if all of the major dealers aren't involved it is not worth attending.
We had been without fairs in Scotland for a few years until John Holroyd started them up again and the success of the Glasgow one has proved that he was right about there being a case for their return.
There was no lack of quality items there either, I doubt if anyone could have topped Dougie's Killie v Rangers 1929-1930 league match.
There were major dealers there, the afore mentioned Douglas Stevenson, Stuart Marshall had some unbelievable items and Chris from Sportingold was also in attendance.
It would be good to have a grand affair with a carnival atmosphere but when you are starting these fairs back up again you can't start off with all of these things, it has to be built up as John has proved, the Auchinleck fair had around 40 in attendance the first year and it grew to well over 100 I would say last year.
As a seller, I would say I could have made as much by selling by my usual route but the social aspect for me made it very enjoyable.
I made some good contacts as well and I know that some of the vendors had people asking for contact details which is good for business.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:17 am 
Post subject:

I'm not questioning the success or otherwise of the Glasgow Fair, I'm just giving the reasons why myself and a handful of collectors I know didn't attend and what would attract them in future.

I'm also just trying to stir debate on the state of the fair scene in Scotland, provide an environment where all dealers (and collectors) north of the border want to attend, attract dealer interest from further afield and more importantly make it an event that attracts people into the hobby (Hampden as a venue will do that).

The annual Scottish Programme Fair used to be a great event, there's no reason why something similar cannot be revived, and without too much effort over and above organising a "normal" fair. London can organise two a year, I'm sure we can manage one.

I'm happy to help if there's sufficient interest to get it off the ground.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Football Programme Fairs. In honour of Gordon Bennett. RIP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: