Football Programmes Centre

Sheffield Wednesday scoring v who?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sheffield Wednesday scoring v who?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:38 pm 
Post subject: Sheffield Wednesday scoring v who?

I've only had this photo a few hours and it's doing my head in already.

It's stamped Sheffield Newspapers so is presumably at Hillsborough. It shows Wednesday scoring and their kit looks like 1973/4 or 1974/5 - give or take. But I can't recognise the scorer on the right and I definitely can't get their opponents. I've scanned it and blown up the main protagonists.

Can anyone help, please?

The scorer

The defender

The defender blown up with badge & Bukta crest?

My first thought was Orient as I thought it looked like Terry Brisley but their shirts of the day had red collars as here:-

And I've checked red shirts like Forest, Middlesbro, Swindon, Bournemouth, Bristol City and they didn't have a badge like that and didn't wear Bukta shirts. So what about a team usually in blue in change kit? Millwall? Ipswich? No match there. Or Plymouth in green? No match.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful. Thank you again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:45 pm 
Post subject:

75-6 Sheff Weds 1 Wrexham 0 maybe?
(Wrexham had Bukta kit that year, change of socks so no clash with Sheff Weds)
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:51 pm 
Post subject:

You've got it - thank you so much Yachtsmun!!

Wrexham..... 6th Sept 1975.

Now - who's the scorer? Any Owls on board?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:09 pm 
Post subject:

Alan Thompson perhaps? (He had a tache previously, but...)
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:21 pm 
Post subject:

This bloke doesn't look like a centre back like Thompson. It's more likely to be Mick Prendergast or Dave Sunley perhaps?
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:29 pm 
Post subject:

You're probably right - I was just going off this pic from a couple of years earlier. Nose, eyes and chin look similar though.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:31 pm 
Post subject:

Parting's on wrong side. Is Prendergast in your photo?
efc1998

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:02 pm 
Post subject:

According to my book "One hundred years at Hillsborough" and the photo looks like Wrexham's captain at that time Gareth Davis and if the date is correct the scorer in the 79th minute is a guy called Herbert who I profess to have never heard of. Sheffield Wednesday winning the game 1-0.
Rocky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:05 pm 
Post subject:

efc1998 wrote:
According to my book "One hundred years at Hillsborough" and the photo looks like Wrexham's captain at that time Gareth Davis and if the date is correct the scorer in the 79th minute is a guy called Herbert who I profess to have never heard of. Sheffield Wednesday winning the game 1-0.
Just beat me to it. David Herbert is also listed in the Rothmans yearbook as the scorer.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:10 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you efc and Rocky for that. Didn't take long with you experts on the case and saved me a sleepless night or two.

And I'd never heard of Mr Herbert either. 17 games, 5 goals.
longeared

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:59 pm 
Post subject:

Hello - long time lurker, first time poster.

As a Wednesday fan I saw this photo on Ebay last week. I agree it's Wednesday v Wrexham, but think it's from March 5th 1977 rather than a season earlier.

The Historical Kits site (which I accept is not always completely accurate) gives the Wrexham kit as having a slight difference in 77 - there's no white panel behind the badge, and it doesn't look like there's one here. http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Wrexham/Wrexham.htm

I don't think the player is David Herbert either, he was born in 1956 so would have been 18/19 at the time of the game. Here's a picture of him celebrating v Grimsby on September 20th 1975 - also notice the difference in advertising hoardings.

The 1977 game finished 3-1 to Wednesday, scorers Denis Leman, Rodger Wylde, Bobby Hope. It's not the Hope goal, that was a penalty, and it's clearly not Wylde. Does look a bit like Leman though. The Wednesday player on the far side looks suspiciously like Paul Bradshaw, who we signed in the summer of 1976.

If time permits over the weekend I'll see if the photo appeared in any programmes to confirm.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: