Football Programmes Centre

New website: Warrington Rugby Heritage
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New website: Warrington Rugby Heritage

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ntw



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:38 pm 
Post subject: New website: Warrington Rugby Heritage
Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I've launched my new website today:

www.warringtonrugbyheritage.com

The site is dedicated to preserving the history of rugby league in Warrington, and whilst I have taken the decision to launch with quite limited content at first, I have rapid expansion plans for the coming months!

As well as developing the site, and getting the nuts and bolts in place, the launch is noted for an article on the history of Warrington Wolves, which focuses primarily on it's early (pre-1895) years.

Expected additions in the weeks to come are detailed match records, going all the way back to 1876, and more memorabilia images: I have over 3,000 programmes, and many more items of interest that will eventually go on here.

Please check out the site, and keep an eye on it as t grows in over time. If anyone has any feedback, I'd love to hear it, as this is my first venture into website design, and I acknowledge that I've a lot to learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ntw



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:53 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

I've just done an update to my website, which now contains a season-by-season record of Wire players' appearances and scoring exploits, covering 1895-2016. For anyone interested, this is available here:
www.warringtonrugbyheritage/players

There's an awful lot more that I will be adding over the weeks & months (and probably years!) ahead; next up will be the pre-1895 player records.

Enjoy Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kcs



Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 1572
Location: Ashford, Kent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:17 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Fantastic site, i enjoy watching the odd game of rugby league but cannot call myself a fan - but enjoyed looking through the site and will keep and eye out for updates.
I like what the club are doing with heritage numbers - great idea!!

Excellent site keep up the good work Smile
_________________
M.O.T

http://www.leedsunitedprogrammeguide.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Wants List
ntw



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:01 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

kcs wrote:
Fantastic site, i enjoy watching the odd game of rugby league but cannot call myself a fan - but enjoyed looking through the site and will keep and eye out for updates.
I like what the club are doing with heritage numbers - great idea!!

Excellent site keep up the good work Smile


Thanks kcs. Warrington were the first RL club to do heritage numbers I believe, but quite a few do now. I think it's great too, but have a particular gripe in that they only start these from 1895; therefore all competitive games before then are ignored, and players who played before 1895 and not after (49 of them according to my research) are not recognised. This is despite Warrington recognising honours won as part of the RFU, namely the West Lancashire Cup of 1886.

I am lobbying to have this anomaly corrected, but it's not ideal that over 1,100 numbers have been issued, so the only sensible solution now would be to issue the next 49 numbers to those early players: I can see resistance to this simply from this perspective (as it's not very 'clean'), but the lack of recognition for the pre-1895 era is a particular bug bear of mine, so I will continue the crusade!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ntw



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:29 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I have just done the latest release of data to my website www.warringtonrugbyheritage.com

This releases includes never-before-seen player records for competitive games prior to the formation of the Northern Union, and means I can now release the only available comprehensive list of Wire first team players for competitives matches. These are available here:

https://www.warringtonrugbyheritage.com/1885-6-1894-5

https://www.warringtonrugbyheritage.com ... l-timelist

I have also written an exclusive article on The Forgotten 49, so if you want to find out who they are, and what part they play in the club's history, you can check that out here:

www.warringtonrugbyheritage.com/players-theforgotten49
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jim LFC



Joined: 05 Oct 2014
Posts: 388

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:38 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Great site and very interesting, well done! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Glad there was no mention of last Friday,,,,, Get My Coat Get My Coat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Wants List
Justin88



Joined: 17 Nov 2017
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:56 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

kcs wrote:
Fantastic site, i enjoy watching the odd game of rugby league but cannot call myself a fan - but enjoyed looking through the leovegas app quickspin keep and eye out for updates.
I like what the club are doing with heritage numbers - great idea!!


Amazing site. I like it also!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
roughyedz



Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 582
Location: Oldham

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

I do hear what you are saying about the pre 1895 era and it is a moot point, however, isnt this a UNION era as such and should it not be for Warrington Rugby Union club to pursue if the so desire ?????

I also like the web site , just one question, it says under "updates" that 10 images are on under "memorobilia", however i can only see 9 and at the bottom of the images it does seem to indicate page 1 or 2, however how do you get onto page 2 ????
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Wants List
tackler7



Joined: 26 May 2011
Posts: 222

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:20 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

roughyedz wrote:
I do hear what you are saying about the pre 1895 era and it is a moot point, however, isnt this a UNION era as such and should it not be for Warrington Rugby Union club to pursue if the so desire ?????



You miss the point entirely. NTW is recording the history of the rugby club NOT a code of rugby. The club existed before the schism and therefore he questions why the history of the club pre 1895 is less relevant than the history post 1895.

(It is like in football where anything that happened pre Premier League seems to have been forgotten.)

Your suggestion is fundamentally wrong because the current Warrington Rugby Union club which is totally different to current Warrington Wolves did not exist pre 1895 so why should they compile a list of players that never played for them?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ntw



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:10 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

tackler7 wrote:
roughyedz wrote:
I do hear what you are saying about the pre 1895 era and it is a moot point, however, isnt this a UNION era as such and should it not be for Warrington Rugby Union club to pursue if the so desire ?????



You miss the point entirely. NTW is recording the history of the rugby club NOT a code of rugby. The club existed before the schism and therefore he questions why the history of the club pre 1895 is less relevant than the history post 1895.

(It is like in football where anything that happened pre Premier League seems to have been forgotten.)

Your suggestion is fundamentally wrong because the current Warrington Rugby Union club which is totally different to current Warrington Wolves did not exist pre 1895 so why should they compile a list of players that never played for them?


What he said!!

I understand that from a certain perspective, 1895 is highly relevant; however, from a specific club such as my own, the only difference in 1895/6 to 1894/5 was more cross county fixtures, and more officially organised games. The rules were the same, the clubs played were pretty much the same, the players and officials of the club were the same, the ground was the same, the kit was, the fans were.

Seen retrospectively too much signifance is placed on the breakaway: it was an evolutionary step, not a Big Bang event. Historians should recognise this, and equal prominence given to the pre-1895 era. It's part of our clubs' heritage, and it frustrates me immensely that this is often ignored. People are missing out on a fascinating part of the history of our sport, by pretending it began in 1895.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CodeXIII



Joined: 07 Oct 2010
Posts: 220
Location: St Helens

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:42 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

interesting stuff!
also try the North West Film Archive and another film archive (cant remember off the top of my head) who have various RL archive films including Salford pre the willows!!
IF (and it's a big if) England win the RL world cup i think the interest in rugby league will take off.

Neil, cracking site.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ntw



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:37 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

CodeXIII wrote:
interesting stuff!
also try the North West Film Archive and another film archive (cant remember off the top of my head) who have various RL archive films including Salford pre the willows!!
IF (and it's a big if) England win the RL world cup i think the interest in rugby league will take off.

Neil, cracking site.


Thanks Dave.

'Mitchell and Kenyon' in your preferred search engine should fill an evening Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
| More
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum