Football Programmes Centre

Sporting Memorys Live Auction Wednesday 22nd Feb 2017
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sporting Memorys Live Auction Wednesday 22nd Feb 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
overlap



Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 232

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:27 pm 
Post subject: Re: Glasgow Celtic
Reply with quote

SportingMemorys wrote:
We are confident that this will clear up any questions.

regards
sporting memorys

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/sporting-memorys/catalogue-id-srspo10008/lot-8eb68214-a90b-4ef7-99fe-a7070114eccd


I note that the bottom of the back page states that the Celtic programme was *published* by the Scottish Advertising Company (SAC) of Edinburgh, not the club itself.
It may be this issue of who the *publisher* was that is causing some confusion.
The SAC published programmes prewar featuring many different home clubs; Hearts, Hibs, Ayr, St Bernard's, to name a few.
All shared the same outer cover format, and front cover advertiser.

Celtic themselves did not *publish* programmes in their own right until after World War Two.
However, the inescapable fact is that these prewar items do state "Official Programme" on them, and doubtlessly were officially outsourced to SAC for publishing as Tynie suggests.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tynie Topics



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 3063

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:09 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

To quote an extract from the Hearts Programme Guide;

"Moves were afoot in 1923 to produce something different [up to that point, half time score cards/programmes were produced but none seem to have survived], and Hearts were approached by the Edina Advert Platform & Press Agency who wanted to buy the rights to produce programmes. People were now looking for something more substantial along the lines of English programmes, and various discussions took place. Hearts wanted to remain loyal to the Exchange Telegraph Company, but the lure of the £200 a year "cash up front" offer from Edina proved too strong. Thus the "Heart of Midlothian Football Club Ltd Official Programme" came into being."

Looking at my only pre-war Hearts programme, by season 1936-37 it was being printed and published by Henry Munro Ltd of Glasgow/Perth/Aberdeen/London
_________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

http://www.scotlandprogrammes.co.uk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Wants List
Eck



Joined: 25 Aug 2012
Posts: 2264

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:25 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

A mate of mine, a Celtic collector is travelling down to the auction, he won't be bidding on these but is after other Celtic stuff in the auction. I think he is anticipating the huge interest in these and will just concentrate on his post war collection, I am signed up to bid myself and would love one of these to own for my small collection of interesting items.

Once again, fantastic views and knowledge on here is astounding.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
RoddyN



Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Posts: 188

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:27 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

I thought I saw some Celtic pre war homes in the last year at another auction. I think there were about 4 of which only 1 sold. From memory the reserve was also about £400. I think the ones against Rangers, Hearts and Hibs will sell but the others might struggle due to the price. I guess we will see in 12 days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eck



Joined: 25 Aug 2012
Posts: 2264

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:49 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

RoddyN wrote:
I thought I saw some Celtic pre war homes in the last year at another auction. I think there were about 4 of which only 1 sold. From memory the reserve was also about £400. I think the ones against Rangers, Hearts and Hibs will sell but the others might struggle due to the price. I guess we will see in 12 days.


I think you are right bud, a reserve of £400 is unlikely to deter Rangers bidders, i'm not sure there are enough major Celtic collectors to sell the rest. Celtic stuff is notoriously hard to sell, Steven Jacobs gave up his pitch at Celtic Park.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator


Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 3921

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:23 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Eck wrote:
RoddyN wrote:
I thought I saw some Celtic pre war homes in the last year at another auction. I think there were about 4 of which only 1 sold. From memory the reserve was also about £400. I think the ones against Rangers, Hearts and Hibs will sell but the others might struggle due to the price. I guess we will see in 12 days.


I think you are right bud, a reserve of £400 is unlikely to deter Rangers bidders, i'm not sure there are enough major Celtic collectors to sell the rest. Celtic stuff is notoriously hard to sell, Steven Jacobs gave up his pitch at Celtic Park.


That wouldn't be anything to do with his prices though.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
manchesterunitedman1



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 2448
Location: Manchester

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:18 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Auchinleckian wrote:
Eck wrote:
RoddyN wrote:
I thought I saw some Celtic pre war homes in the last year at another auction. I think there were about 4 of which only 1 sold. From memory the reserve was also about £400. I think the ones against Rangers, Hearts and Hibs will sell but the others might struggle due to the price. I guess we will see in 12 days.


I think you are right bud, a reserve of £400 is unlikely to deter Rangers bidders, i'm not sure there are enough major Celtic collectors to sell the rest. Celtic stuff is notoriously hard to sell, Steven Jacobs gave up his pitch at Celtic Park.


That wouldn't be anything to do with his prices though.......
Sherlock Sherlock Sherlock
_________________
Leslie Millman
[email protected]
Twitter: @manyuman1

To view 14,000+ original images relating to Newton Heath & Manchester United from 1878-2017 in over 500+ different categories just visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets

1000's more images to be uploaded-from the days of Newton Heath to the present. To view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images-now 9.9 million views to date
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Eck



Joined: 25 Aug 2012
Posts: 2264

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:01 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
Auchinleckian wrote:
Eck wrote:
RoddyN wrote:
I thought I saw some Celtic pre war homes in the last year at another auction. I think there were about 4 of which only 1 sold. From memory the reserve was also about £400. I think the ones against Rangers, Hearts and Hibs will sell but the others might struggle due to the price. I guess we will see in 12 days.


I think you are right bud, a reserve of £400 is unlikely to deter Rangers bidders, i'm not sure there are enough major Celtic collectors to sell the rest. Celtic stuff is notoriously hard to sell, Steven Jacobs gave up his pitch at Celtic Park.


That wouldn't be anything to do with his prices though.......
Sherlock Sherlock Sherlock


He's still at Ibrox. Judge
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Eck



Joined: 25 Aug 2012
Posts: 2264

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:24 pm 
Post subject: Re: celtic
Reply with quote

auctioneer wrote:
good afternoon
its Robert from sporting memorys

I am very surprised by the above note

who I this friend?


there is no doubt whatsoever that these are official celtic football programmes


my office will shortly be posting copies of the programmes



I think that this mysterious friend, might have an ulterior motive in talking down the value of the programmes


Do you think that would work? You asked for opinions, if you only want positives just say so.
The source is a bluenose and he won't be bidding on them, what is the point in naming him if you don't know him?
I'm offended by you calling me dishonest when you don't know me.


Last edited by Eck on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Eck



Joined: 25 Aug 2012
Posts: 2264

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:30 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

A thread on the Rangers collectors club.


Are these official programmes 1930's v Celtic does anyone have any more information as not seeing them as official on any collectors guides?

Comments

Willie Gers The well known celtic collector Tam McGouran did a guide a few years ago and also a page on the web somewhere about the history of celtic programmes. He say`s that celtic`s first ever home programme issued was for a game v clyde i think was season 46/47. He never counted the 45/46 against Rangers as an official programme. Tam had virtually every celtic programme there was
Like · Reply · 1 · Yesterday at 10:13 · Edited


Willie Gers some of the guys on the football programme centre forum reckon maybe celtic sanctioned them even though they never actually issued them, remember the moscow Dynamo 1945 programme wasn`t issued by Rangers
Like · Reply · 1 · Yesterday at 10:21


Willie Gers every one of them will sell for big money
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 10:23


Emma Ferguson The will go for hundreds,all of them i reckon
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 10:37


Tom Maxwell Must be genuine, "mines a minor" all over them. 😂😂
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 10:37


Emma Ferguson Lol tom
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 10:39


Tam Cuthill These progs were produced on behalf of the club/clubs who wanted them. Each season had a different cover but was the same for any club that issued. The early 30s issues were printed by the Scottish advertising co based in Edinburgh and later 30s printed by Henry munro Ltd who had offices in Glasgow,Perth,Aberdeen and London
Like · Reply · 1 · Yesterday at 15:23


Tam Cuthill On the questìon of ' are they official ' They would have to be sanctioned by the club involved because not all clubs used this method of producing progs . I.E queen.of.the.south produced pre war progs that were similar to their 40s and 50s productions. So basically it,s down to your own opinion as to wheather you class them as official or not.Mind you fantastic items to get
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 15:38


Emma Ferguson Think there up on the 22nd or something like that
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 15:42


Tam Cuthill Incidently the celtic 45/46 prog was printed by the Scottish sports agency who also produced the Rangers v Moscow dynamo prog of the same season. I think of the top of my head they had offices in Argyle street and Hope street. Hope this info helps
Like · Reply · 1 · Yesterday at 15:53


Alistair McGregor So the adverting for example on the front cover and through out the programmes look like large buisnesses at the time - did those sales of that advertising space go to Celtic ? If so then don't see how can be classed as unofficial I also believe that Celtic recently did a reproduction of one in there official memorabilia packs a Celtic collector told me was versus Queen's Park in 1931
Like · Reply · 10 hrs


Tam Cuthill I can only imagine that there would be a benificial tie up for both the club and the advertisers
Like · Reply · 10 hrs


Alex Boyd It says official programme, the same people produced Hearts pre war programmes, also reckoned to be official programmes.
Like · Reply · 9 hrs


Alex Boyd There was 4 Celtic pre war up for auction before with a reserve of £400, only one sold, there are 40 of these for sale this time, if there is a reserve of £400, I can't see many more than the Rangers ones getting sold.
Like · Reply · 9 hrs


John Flynn These are not regarded as official, as they were not issued by the club.....the first official programme is against Clyde 46.
Like · Reply · 1 · 4 hrs


Alistair McGregor I agree with Alex too many for up for sale at once makes no sense at all for the seller, but can't see how the first official programme is v Clyde 46 has any one other than the guy that did the Celtic collectors guide at the club officially confirmed ...See more
Like · Reply · 3 hrs · Edited


Alex Boyd Here is a thread on it.
Like · Reply · 30 mins


Alex Boyd http://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/.../viewtopic...

Sporting Memorys Live Auction Wednesday 22nd Feb 2017 :: The Football Programme Forum
footballprogrammecentre.co.uk


Like · Reply · Remove Preview · 30 mins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dorking



Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 1452

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:36 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Not got a vested interest as not a Celtic collector, but just a shame that the person it is being sold on behalf didn't 'break up' the lots into a few auctions, several months apart. Just thinking that having it all in one go is probably too much for some collectors, and that spreading it over, say 6 months might mean people bid for more each time. No idea if this actually would make a difference of course
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator


Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 3921

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:48 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

There are a few Celtic collectors for whom the numbers available won't be anything to worry about financially should they want them, and there's the rub. Like most folk I think there's probably too many in the one sale to maximise their value, but if the vendor says sell.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SportingMemorys



Joined: 23 Jan 2014
Posts: 49

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:50 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

The Glasgow Evening Times have done an article today on the Glasgow Celtic programmes.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/.....he_hammer/

If anyone have any questions about any other lots in the sale please feel free to email us and we will be happy to help.

Regards
Sporting memorys
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tynie Topics



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 3063

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:11 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

SportingMemorys wrote:
The Glasgow Evening Times have done an article today on the Glasgow Celtic programmes.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/.....he_hammer/

If anyone have any questions about any other lots in the sale please feel free to email us and we will be happy to help.

Regards
Sporting memorys



Nice surprise for the older couple if they thought they were worth a max of £20 each!
_________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

http://www.scotlandprogrammes.co.uk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Wants List
RoddyN



Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Posts: 188

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:45 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

The auctioneer in the article in the Glasgow Evening News quotes “Celtic is a big club and there is a real market for Celtic memorabilia.” I agree Celtic have a lot of fans and are a big club but they are disappointingly weak on the collecting front. I think it will be a struggle to sell that amount of programmes unless they are to away collectors. Let's wait till next week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dorking



Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 1452

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:47 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

I am fascinated to see how these Celtic programmes go - can someone post up the figures please once they are known!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eck



Joined: 25 Aug 2012
Posts: 2264

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:32 am 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Dorking wrote:
I am fascinated to see how these Celtic programmes go - can someone post up the figures please once they are known!


I'm hoping to buy one of these, i'll let you know how they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tynie Topics



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 3063

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:46 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Not long now, although I wont be able to watch it "live" hopefully someone updates with regards to the prices for the Celtic items.
_________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

http://www.scotlandprogrammes.co.uk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 2448
Location: Manchester

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:51 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

Dorking wrote:
Not got a vested interest as not a Celtic collector, but just a shame that the person it is being sold on behalf didn't 'break up' the lots into a few auctions, several months apart. Just thinking that having it all in one go is probably too much for some collectors, and that spreading it over, say 6 months might mean people bid for more each time. No idea if this actually would make a difference of course


100% correct but maybe this is exactly what has been done and this lot is only the start?. Wave
_________________
Leslie Millman
[email protected]
Twitter: @manyuman1

To view 14,000+ original images relating to Newton Heath & Manchester United from 1878-2017 in over 500+ different categories just visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets

1000's more images to be uploaded-from the days of Newton Heath to the present. To view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images-now 9.9 million views to date
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Eck



Joined: 25 Aug 2012
Posts: 2264

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:19 pm 
Post subject:
Reply with quote

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
Dorking wrote:
Not got a vested interest as not a Celtic collector, but just a shame that the person it is being sold on behalf didn't 'break up' the lots into a few auctions, several months apart. Just thinking that having it all in one go is probably too much for some collectors, and that spreading it over, say 6 months might mean people bid for more each time. No idea if this actually would make a difference of course


100% correct but maybe this is exactly what has been done and this lot is only the start?. Wave


Not according to the Evening Times article mate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
| More
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum