Football Programmes Centre

Some more mystery photos
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Some more mystery photos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:27 pm 
Post subject: Some more mystery photos

At least a few newly-acquired photos to ask you all about, some are doing my head in. Top one for instance.

1. White Hart Lane I think - is it Gil Merrick? If so it's a later reprint as the stamp includes an 01 London phone number and that didn't exist in Gil's career.

Keeper blown up

2. Written on back:- The "Bees" - F.C.T.S. 1943

Looks like an Army team in the desert. Any thoughts please?

3. Mystery face - and he's driving me mad. I know him I'm sure.... nothing on back at all. Looks like Stuart Leary but isn't.

4. Mystery action photo 1 - nothing on back. Any ideas please?

5. Mystery action photo 2 - nothing on back - someone must know this ground and the 2 teams...please. Team in all red or blue are defending, away team in white looks like a change strip.

All help gratefully received as always. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:20 pm 
Post subject: some more mystery photos

Hi Pete, picture4 , the player in dark shirt has the look of Tony Coleman. Tony played for quite a few teams including Man City, Preston ,Tranmere.The stripe on the shorts could rule out City.Could be away strip? A bit of a tough guy by all accounts! Just a thought, is the player in white shirt Jack Whitham in Liverpool away strip?

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Five and In

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:27 pm 

Picture 4
Initially I thought the player in white was Alan Woodward the Sheffield United striker, but the more I look at it, the more I doubt myself Crying or Very sad
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:48 pm 
Post subject: Re: Some more mystery photos

Five and In wrote:
Picture 4
Initially I thought the player in white was Alan Woodward the Sheffield United striker, but the more I look at it, the more I doubt myself Crying or Very sad

I thought it was possibly Liverpool's away strip and Phil Boersma, but like you Five, I've kind of talked myself out of it.

I thought the ground in Pic 5 might be Portman Road, but again, I'm doubtful (Terrace looks too steep).

That pylon should be a huge clue, but the grounds I know where they're prominent (such as Parkhead, Edgar St, Plough Lane) don't have a terrace quite like that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Five and In

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:04 am 

I thought it was possibly Liverpool's away strip and Phil Boersma, but like you Five, I've kind of talked myself out of it.

I thought of the Liverpool away kit too Wiggy, but couldn't place the player and assumed that any Liverpool player would be obvious.

Also, Picture 1 - Agree with you Pete. Definitely White Hart Lane and almost certainly Merrick, but could be one of a number of years in the 1950's.

Last edited by Five and In on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Five and In

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:21 am 

2. Written on back:- The "Bees" - F.C.T.S. 1943

Looks like an Army team in the desert. Any thoughts please?

Assuming the FC is the obvious Football Club, the TS could stand for the regiment title. The Army has listed Trojan Spirit, Target Spotting, Training Squadron, Transaction Services and......please be this one...Top Secret.

I can hear the cup draw now...No 22...Manchester United.....will play....No 35......FC Top Secret!!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:21 pm 
Post subject:

OK, thank you Pie, Wiggy and particularly Five & In for your suggestions. This is how it stands with my own thoughts included.

1. Spurs v Birmingham 1950's, Merrick in goal. But a later reprint.

2. Not sure if FC here means Football Club but I've googled FCTS and come up with not a lot, other than the various TS options you mention. Doubt we'll work this one out somehow.

3. Nothing so far on this bloke - but I reckon Charlton or Chelsea, 1950's. Just an inkling.

4. Don't think that's Tony Coleman. White shirt could be Liverpool away and it does look a bit like Phil Boersma. Good shout. But if they're away, who's at home? Unusual stripe down shorts, presumably red hence the Liverpool change. If it's red shirts, white shorts with a stripe, on their own ground, that must be familiar to someone. But that assumes it's Liverpool away and that's not certain.

5. No offers so far. Must be 1972 or later due to V-necks filled in. One team in round-neck shirts too so would suggest soon after 1972 as both sides would be in V-necks any later. I really don't recognise teams or players or ground. That's a big covered terrace behind the goal and a very prominent electricity pylon.. Help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Flaming Pie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:56 pm 

I still think it might be Coleman.ldentifying some photos can certainly be a struggle Pete. Could it be a Scottish match? I have got a couple in my collection that could be quite rare.One of them appears to be Woolwich Arsenal v Manchester City at the Manor Ground, Plumstead 1904-06 era. The press stamp on the back reads: London News Agency Photos Ltd ,45 Fleet St, London E C4.When l find out how to Upload l will display on the forum.

Last edited by Flaming Pie on Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
farmersboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:47 pm 
Post subject:

Re the desert photo. The bloke on back row, first left, looks like a young Jimmy Hill. According to Wikipedia he did his national service in the Royal Army Service Corps. Which would have been just after the war.
Rocky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:52 pm 
Post subject:

Photo 5 : Is that some wording on the goalkeepers shorts Pete? I also noticed the goalkeeper could be wearing a yellow shirt which was strange in this era. Strict rules used to govern what colours goalkeepers could wear and I understand that yellow wasn't one of them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187311548@N07/albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117760314@N07/albums
Rocky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:56 pm 

Five and In wrote:
Picture 4
For photo 4 I think Alan Woodward is a good shout in a Sheff Utd away kit. Sharrow may be able to confirm.

Rocky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:21 pm 
Post subject:

Photo 3 : Possibly John Evans who played for Charlton and then Liverpool in the 50's?

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:38 pm 
Post subject:

Well, it was good to get home from the "game" at Selhurst today to find this barrage of suggestions and ideas. Thank you all. My comments:-

2. The Desert photo. It's dated 1943 and Jimmy Hill was 15 in 1943. Great idea though that is, and I agree it does look like him, it surely can't be him in 1943. And that front line must just about all be in their 30's.

3. I don't think it's John Evans. My man's smile is very different to Evans's.

4. I agree it might be Alan Woodward but I'm not convinced. Similarly with Coleman.

"Woodward"

"Coleman"

5. Writing on the keeper's shorts. You're right, Rocky, I hadn't noticed that. It's possibly BURY. Has anyone ever seen anything like that on shorts before?

If it's Bury, then they would be in all blue away kit as they always wore white shirts. Thus it means the home team is in white with that V-neck presumably in red, and black shorts. It can't be Gigg Lane, surely. But suppose it's away at Doncaster (Belle Vue), or Barnsley (Oakwell), both of whom played against Bury in 1972/3 in Div 4? Doncaster & Bury also played at Doncaster in the FA Cup in that season - maybe both teams changed colours for the cup? Could that be Belle Vue?

As rgds the keeper's possible yellow shirt, if he's wearing blue shorts & socks, it's possibly a shade of green that's a paler grey than the darker shade of blue? Does that make sense?

Again, all help much appreciated. It's amazing how therapeutic this is after a nightmarish afternoon. Shocked
Gordon7co

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:12 pm 
Post subject:

No 5 Celtic v Clyde 1966
http://celticunderground.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/clyde-67.jpg
Celtic in all green as home teams had to change then
Rocky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:37 pm 
Post subject:

Gordon7co wrote:
No 5 Celtic v Clyde 1966
http://celticunderground.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/clyde-67.jpg
Celtic in all green as home teams had to change then

Thumbs Up
And a pic of that stand with the pylon. Probably was a yellow shirt Pete?

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:47 pm 
Post subject:

No.5.

Blimey, I didn't see that one coming - thank you Gordon - and Rocky too.

Ronnie Simpson in goal, presumably. And yes, in yellow. I don't know the other players.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:39 am 
Post subject:

Don't ask me I'm hopeless on these things.

If I had to guess, I'd say it Yes it was Woody, away at Charlton early 70s
Dinky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:07 am 
Post subject:

Celtic player could be Willie O'Neill , worked in Baird's Bar in Gallowgate for years
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:14 am 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
Don't ask me I'm hopeless on these things.

If I had to guess, I'd say it Yes it was Woody, away at Charlton early 70s

Great shout, Sharrow, thank you.

And thanks also to Dinky.
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:31 am 

Back to "Woody".
Charlton away in 70/71 is possible as the home side had a kit with no badge that season and also had the stripe on the shorts. United won 2-0. That was the last fixture between the clubs for several years and previous seasons saw Charlton in plain shorts.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Shirt Collecting/Other Football Memorabilia All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: