Football Programmes Centre

Ebay, buy it now.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ebay, buy it now.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:15 pm 
Post subject: Ebay, buy it now.

As most will know I've been out the hobby for a little while. Just had a look on eBay . Searching Sunderland , and almost every decent item is a buy it now. I took a look at auctions only and counted over 50 with no bids until i came across a 1951 v Burnley , two bids , a fiver. Is this they way eBay is today ?

Last edited by Wullie on Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:28 pm 
Post subject:

Whereas back in the day it was predominantly auctions Wullie, it does seem that 'Buy-it-Now' has taken precedence.
Especially if you want to realise your best price.

Certainly I tend to list most of my stuff by the latter, auctions have become too unpredictable, and the market too awash with items that were previously difficult to find.

As an example, I listed a batch of Newport programmes in one, winner takes all auction, about 300 of them, all 1950s / early 60s, and got about forty quid for them.

So I listed the remaining programmes from 1965 to 1988 in seasonal batches at Buy-it-Now and made about £500.

So it's sadly a no-brainer really.

I've learned it's better to list B-I-N at the lowest you'll accept, than be stung by auction.

Unless it's a rare piece, the interest in auctions just isn't there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
Dorking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:32 pm 
Post subject:

I mostly buy badges and cards on eBay, and am willing to pay a fair price, to behonest I cannot be bothered waiting a week for items that I want and much prefer buy it now

With some auctions I amvery suspicious of the seller 'shilling' the price up as well, buy it now is so much better in that regard

Biggest moan for me is sellers not ring postage discounts for multiple buy it nows, then posting it all together. I rarely give feedback, but do give very low scores for the 'how reasonable was the p&p' question
Karb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:15 am 
Post subject:

Shhhh. I'm bidding on that
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:56 am 
Post subject:

The problem I find in my area of collecting is that the BIN prices are normally completely unrealistic in todays market. There’s an item at the moment I’d quite like, but it’s almost double what I would consider to be a fair price for the item. If the seller gets that price fair enough, I suppose it’s worth a shot first time round but I’ll hedge my bets that it won’t sell and hopefully they re-list as an auction at a realistic start price, then I’ll be in.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:27 pm 
Post subject:

Fully concur with Tynie's post, plus there's just tens of thousands of things just on a continual loop. I still prefer the auction side and have been buying pre 1970s tickets for prices that in the main BIN simply can not match in the last 6 months. There is the odd BIN good buy, so it's not all doom and gloom. I picked up Leeds vs Standard Liege 1969-70 this week for £20 BIN after it had sold for £50 plus earlier in the week at auction. Had I have been paying attention at a fairly recent Sportingold auction I'd have got it and a couple of others at a very good price.
Talks A Good Game

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:49 pm 
Post subject:

I like to see BIN with the make an offer option Tynie.
Allows a bit of negotiation and a price that hopefully suits both sides.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:51 pm 
Post subject:

Talks A Good Game wrote:

Absolutely agree, although when something is £300 and you only consider it to be worth £150 max, there might be too much of a gap there to find common ground!
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:03 pm 
Post subject:

When it says Buy it now or Best Offer, I always go in very low on the first two goes, knowing I have 3 offers to try and get a good price. Even if that fails I have a second account to try with until the seller accepts an offer.
dangerman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:32 pm 
Post subject:

and don't forget that there are loads more BINS when business sellers get 5000 for free about every 3 months
hibernian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:50 pm 
Post subject:

Well I took on board the comments from the forum and listed a couple of BINS today. One has been snapped up at £50. To be fair it was a decent price for a hard to obtain ticket but I'm happy enough. I maybe could have got a few quid more by auction but no complaints.
I have only started seriously selling on eBay in the last couple of months, so far so good.
Easy
Wullie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:38 pm 
Post subject:

If you put a Bin and it goes immediately , you always going to think you could have had more. On the odd occasion i have used this feature i always try and be reasonable as i want it to sell. Some daft bins have been on for as long as eBay has existed it seems. If i look again in ten years time i'll probably still see them unsold.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:13 am 
Post subject:

Talks A Good Game wrote:

i would like to see a reply to the PM i sent to you on the 15th December 2016. Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
martino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:39 am 
Post subject:

E Bay should do away with the "GTC" - good until cancelled - option on BINS. These are the majority of BINs that clog up the system.

That would get rid of loads of them but then again the seller would probably just relist it for another 30 days.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:56 pm 
Post subject:

Just contradicted my post of yesterday. Very old programme that I have really wanted for a long time came up, and it was Buy it now or Best Offer, but seeing it already had 3 'watchers', I just dived in and paid the BIN price Thumbs Up

Didn't want to faff about for 24hrs going back and forth with offers, only for someone to snap it up under my nose!
kenners46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:01 pm 
Post subject:

Was it the Everton v Palace one ?
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:25 pm 
Post subject:

Yes. Have wanted it for ages, to the extent that I had two attempts at 'making' my own copy by colour printing off the scans from The Everton Collection website and sticking it all together! Doesn't look like the most perfect condition, but then again, have already got pre-printed copies on modern paper LOL

Have always thought that Chelsea and Everton/Liverpool issues are amongst the most common for really old issues, and so nowhere near as eye watering as some other clubs might be

Anyhow it's 4 years older than my previous 'oldest' programme Easy
kenners46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:43 pm 
Post subject:

Nice one, i missed that one
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:00 pm 
Post subject:

Have you seen that Johnny5bellies is selling off his collection of some 44 years? Currently stacks of 1910's, 20's and 30's Palace reserves on ebay at the moment, no doubt more to come

Edit - sellers name changed to allandsundryagain for some reason.
kenners46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:13 pm 
Post subject:

Ill have a look and see whats there, is it actually his stuff hes selling or for someone else do you know ?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: