Football Programmes Centre

Queens v Jags
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Queens v Jags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Scottish. In Honour of John Holroyd. RIP.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marooned11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:16 pm 
Post subject: Queens v Jags

Recently, I bought a small collection of programmes which included a friendly match between Queen of the South and Partick Thistle, played on Saturday 17 February 1962. I wonder if anyone out there can tell me something about this particular match and if this programme is of any real value.
Younger members of the Forum who dispute the fact that there 'good old days' in Scottish football would be most surprised to read certain comments in the programme's editorial. At the time of this game Queens were second-top of the old Scottish Second Division. The editor was confident that Queens, if promoted, could attract the crowds of certain clubs already in the top division. He highlights four clubs by way of comparison. On the previous Saturday Raith Rovers, St.Johnstone,Third Lanark and St.Mirren attracted crowds of 11,000, 9,000, 9,000 and 9,000 respectively, to their home games.!!!
Yes indeed, those were the days.
qosprogs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:08 am 
Post subject: QOS v PT 17 Feb 1962

Hello,

The match you refer to was a hastily arranged friendly as both team has been eliminated from the Scottish Cup. Indeed Queens were scheduled to play a league fixture away to Stenhousemuir that Saturday but Stennie were away to Dunfermline on cup business.

Two things draw the attention to the quickness of the arrangement. The first as you no doubt have read in the programme is the comment regarding the effort put in by the chairman and board in getting the fixture in place. Secondly, in the match programme the previous week it still recorded that the next scheduled match at Palmerston was a reserve fixture against Cowdenbeath.

As to value I would say that it would be worth no more and no less thatn any other programme from that time or season.

Hope this is of help you.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Scottish. In Honour of John Holroyd. RIP. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: