Football Programmes Centre

Nice Old Palace Badge on EBay
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Nice Old Palace Badge on EBay
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:35 am 
Post subject: Nice Old Palace Badge on EBay

This is nice (nice price too! lol) ... love the rear ... Dorking is the only bloke I know who's rich enough to buy this ... Smile

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRYS.....SwMVdYIQbb
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:32 am 
Post subject:

WHAT A FAB U LOUS Badge!

U can be assured if that was a Manchester United Badge it would considerably higher than the £180 initial asking price. I think that is a bit top heavy for starters but maybe i am way way out-Palace is well collected for sure.

For my sins i obtained this MUFC badge from the opening season of 1902-1903 quite some years ago and it cost several legs and arms-never seen another one since.

https://flic.kr/p/6j6Dsn

and this is a much clearer image of the same team group https://flic.kr/p/6cMAoB

Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!

Last edited by manchesterunitedman1 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:12 am 
Post subject:

I think I can hear Dorking dribbling from here.

That is wonderful!

Love
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:47 am 
Post subject:

The seller is a member (and occasional poster) of this forum and probably the biggest Palace 'collector' there is, so it's in a good place.

It is very much an original and there is even a thread where the badge was discussed, about 2 years ago

Leslie's saying of 'where there's one, there's two' is true, as I know someone else, probably one of the biggest Palace badge collectors, who also has it.

But there probably aren't more of them than that.
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:52 am 
Post subject:

This is the thread, well worth re-reading even now, a few other interesting similar examples on there

http://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19207
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:57 am 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
WHAT A FAB U LOUS Badge!

U can be assured if that was a Manchester United Badge it would considerably higher than the £180 initial asking price. I think that is a bit top heavy for starters but maybe i am way way out-Palace is well collected for sure.

For my sins i obtained this MUFC badge from the opening season of 1902-1903 quite some years ago and it cost several legs and arms-never seen another one since.

https://flic.kr/p/6j6Dsn

and this is a much clearer image of the same team group https://flic.kr/p/6cMAoB

Wave

Lovely badge Leslie.

I noticed there was a Kettering version on eBay too, although I'd say it was maybe priced a tad steep ... Shocked

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOOT.....SwcLxYHw6X
Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:29 pm 
Post subject:

Back in the early-mid 90's these badges like Miller balls were not so rare, I've hed quite a few of these in the past, inc 2 diff Man Utd .. traded alongtime ago for Pre War Stoke stuff Love
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:48 pm 
Post subject:

My collecting tends to be mostly modern (ie current) stuff. Probably worthless junk to most, but it gives me the most pleasure, and is pretty much all affordable, apart from sometimes the sheer quantity of it! I tend to buy numerous items every week/month which is ‘current’ rather than a very occasional but expensive old and rare item. Even though the old and rare stuff is the stuff that holds its value or even goes up in value. Don’t get me wrong I do have some great old stuff in my hoard, but old/rare/expensive is not what I do very often to be honest.

In terms of stickers and cards, I have all but less than a handful of items relating to Palace. The early days of the internet and ebay pretty much allowed me to complete all the cigarette cards, bubble gum cards from the 60s and 70’s, stickers, and all the trade cards in between. So keeping up with the modern tat (eg Match Attax, Topps, Panini, Futera etc means I keep a pretty much complete collection.

In terms of badges, I am pretty good at getting all of the modern issues, mainly being ‘match badges’ these days, which I get a lot of enjoyment from tracking down and collecting, and whilst any collector has to draw their own personal line as to how much modern ‘home made’ stuff they buy and add to their collection I am happy with the level at which I collect. The oldest, rarest stuff is probably the ‘weakest’ part of my Palace badge collection to be honest. If you look at this fairly comprehensive set of images of the oldest/rarest authentic badges….

http://www.piterbadge.com/badge/32/57

I only have about a third of them! And yet over the last decade, a couple of big Palace badge collectors with decent collections of the best and most ‘valuable’ (ie expensive) stuff have sold up, with another collector ‘stopping’ and I have passed up some really fantastic badges, which have been offered to me privately as they are just more than I would be willing to pay for a badge in my opinion (ie ‘over my personal budget’). Indeed there are a few rare Palace badges which I don’t have (circa £250) on ebay right now as buy it now’s, which personally I have opted to pass on.

The badge at the top of this thread is certainly worthy of the price on ebay, and it may actually go for more – I genuinely hope the seller gets a great price for it and it also goes to someone who really appreciates it.

I just mostly have a wierd preference for the ‘current’.

For example, those ‘Corinthian’ type figures (now sold as ‘Soccerstarz’) – for years (20+) I wanted Palace players to be featured, but we were never good enough or a ‘big’ enough as club/support base to justify the company making them. I even bought some “EX” players and collected those, as I still thought they were good. Finally a few seasons ago, ‘Soccerstarz’ started making Palace figures, and I haven’t been able to resist buying them all, even buying the same player again two or even three years running when the tiny painted kit has changed! Worthless? Probably, it ain’t no 1920’s programme for sure. Worthless in 20 years time? Probably won’t be worth much more than I paid for them. However if they stop making them in a few years time for whatever reason (probably Palace’s relegation at some point!), then I will at least have collected all of them when I could get them easily, and I will still enjoy looking at them in my wall display cabinet even if they aren’t particularly worth much or to many people’s taste!

Although I collect a lot in volume terms, I don’t ‘spend big’ on stuff very often to be honest. I buy a programme at every game, but very rarely fork out for a really old, rare programme – I’m more interested in my clubs old yearbooks than programmes to be honest.

So the badge at the top of the thread probably isn’t going to be going into my collection any time soon! But it is lovely nonetheless. And I’ll carry on being kept very busy getting all the latest low cost, even lower value, ‘current’ trading cards, badges, stickers, programmes, annuals and calendars! Clap
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:25 pm 
Post subject:

Footiebadgebloke wrote:
Back in the early-mid 90's these badges like Miller balls were not so rare, I've hed quite a few of these in the past, inc 2 diff Man Utd .. traded alongtime ago for Pre War Stoke stuff Love

but what you got for them will be a pittance compared to what they are worth today. I may have paid a lot for the one i have but i have had 3 offers over the last 2 years to give me a really substantial profit, but for a quality item like this it is going nowhere-i never bought it to sell it.

Love Wave

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:11 pm 
Post subject:

Nothing wrong with collecting modern memorabilia, or "tat" as some may say, Dorking.

The fundamental first rule of any collection is to collect what pleases you.

(I don't class those that collect for investment in this, because to me they're not collectors by the definition of the word, merely investors)

Plus I stand firmly by the motto that today's shiny new item is tomorrow's sought-after collectible.

So many brand new Newport badges I've bought over the last fifteen years have now more than quadrupled in value, and so many are like ruddy hens teeth to locate.

I now have almost a thousand (952 at last count) Newport County badges in my prized hoard, and have only paid three figures for a badge on two occasions.
Both were pre war examples.

Yet my most favourite badges are all without exception modern issues.

So I for one certainly "get" you matey, and can fully understand the pleasure your weekly trek around the grounds seeking out match badges brings you.

That is exactly what collecting is all about.

Thumbs Up
Footiebadgebloke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:57 pm 
Post subject:

Footiebadgebloke wrote:

but what you got for them will be a pittance compared to what they are worth today. I may have paid a lot for the one i have but i have had 3 offers over the last 2 years to give me a really substantial profit, but for a quality item like this it is going nowhere-i never bought it to sell it.

Love Wave

Trust me Lesilie I didnt trade for peanuts..... Laughing I know I traded the MU badges and a few MU postcards for caps and medals. Things were alot easier back then Sherlock
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:26 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
Nothing wrong with collecting modern memorabilia, or "tat" as some may say, Dorking.

(I don't class those that collect for investment in this, because to me they're not collectors by the definition of the word, merely investors)

Plus I stand firmly by the motto that today's shiny new item is tomorrow's sought-after collectible.

So many brand new Newport badges I've bought over the last fifteen years have now more than quadrupled in value, and so many are like ruddy hens teeth to locate.

I now have almost a thousand (952 at last count) Newport County badges in my prized hoard, and have only paid three figures for a badge on two occasions.
Both were pre war examples.

Yet my most favourite badges are all without exception modern issues.

So I for one certainly "get" you matey, and can fully understand the pleasure your weekly trek around the grounds seeking out match badges brings you.

That is exactly what collecting is all about.

Thumbs Up

Amen to that.

Although if my 2014-2016 soccerstarz figures (mint in blister packs, many signed) become as rare as old 1970s Star Wars figures some time in the future, I won't be complaining Wave
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:45 pm 
Post subject:

Footiebadgebloke wrote:
Footiebadgebloke wrote:

Love Wave

Trust me Lesilie I didnt trade for peanuts..... Laughing I know I traded the MU badges and a few MU postcards for caps and medals. Things were alot easier back then Sherlock

Things were a lot easier back then especially as Graham Budd has just sold a MUFC related Postcard for £1500 + 21% about 5 minutes ago. As far as quality is concerned it will always rise to the top IMO. Wave

Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:54 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:

On this particular point, you can do both. I have always collected what I enjoy and interests me first and foremost, but without a bottomless pot of cash, I have half an eye on what I enjoy AND what I think I’ll get a return on when it comes to retiring and the wife wants a round the world cruise!

I still collect “tat”, modern Scotland homes will never be worth anything, neither will my modern Edinburgh derbies or Hearts Euro homes, but I keep those upto date, in Scotland’s case because I’m at all the games anyway and in Hearts case out of habit despite only attending the occasional game. I stopped collecting Hearts league/cup/friendlies a long long time ago, I was spending a lot of money on stuff that I would almost certainly never get back.

I never buy anything that I’m not interested in purely for investment purposes because I don’t have unlimited funds to spend on the collection, however I started up my Gibraltar collection when they joined UEFA simply for enjoyment of the challenge in keeping it upto date (struggling a wee bit with their recent away games!) and on the hunch that in 20 years time I’ll get a return on it. So a foot in both camps.

Hopefully I’ll be financially secure enough in retirement that I don’t need to sell, but in this uncertain climate maybe I will and with nobody to pass the collection onto when I peg it, the sensible move would be to enjoy the rewards whilst I still can.

Anyway, I’m off at a tangent. Nice badge!
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:39 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:

On this particular point, you can do both. I have always collected what I enjoy and interests me first and foremost, but without a bottomless pot of cash, I have half an eye on what I enjoy AND what I think I’ll get a return on when it comes to retiring and the wife wants a round the world cruise!

I still collect “tat”, modern Scotland homes will never be worth anything, neither will my modern Edinburgh derbies or Hearts Euro homes, but I keep those upto date, in Scotland’s case because I’m at all the games anyway and in Hearts case out of habit despite only attending the occasional game. I stopped collecting Hearts league/cup/friendlies a long long time ago, I was spending a lot of money on stuff that I would almost certainly never get back.

I never buy anything that I’m not interested in purely for investment purposes because I don’t have unlimited funds to spend on the collection, however I started up my Gibraltar collection when they joined UEFA simply for enjoyment of the challenge in keeping it upto date (struggling a wee bit with their recent away games!) and on the hunch that in 20 years time I’ll get a return on it. So a foot in both camps.

Hopefully I’ll be financially secure enough in retirement that I don’t need to sell, but in this uncertain climate maybe I will and with nobody to pass the collection onto when I peg it, the sensible move would be to enjoy the rewards whilst I still can.

Anyway, I’m off at a tangent. Nice badge!

Yes I agree Tynie.
You can certainly do both, and I must admit, I do too.
I often think about future resale prices when determining what I'm prepared to pay for something I want.

As a chap of not great means, it's a habit that has served me well down the years too.
Fishy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:51 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:

What a cracking site that is Dorking - thanks for the link.
Just seen some lions badges which I'd never seen before - and probably never will again.........

That certainly is a nice Palace badge in your original post.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:07 pm 
Post subject:

Fishy wrote:
Dorking wrote:

Just seen some lions badges which I'd never seen before - and probably never will again.........

It is a great site isn't it, I've spent many an hour on there myself, seething with jealousy.

Very Happy

He has a couple of Newport badges I'd dearly love to own.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:21 pm 
Post subject:

Fishy wrote:
Dorking wrote:

i cant get it to change to english! damn those Ruskies!

Fishy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:24 pm 
Post subject:

Fishy wrote:
Dorking wrote:

i cant get it to change to english! damn those Ruskies!

Are you using Google Chrome Leslie?
If so it will translate the whole page for you in situ. i couldn't change it on the site either.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:25 pm 
Post subject:

Leslie, just right-click on your mouse anywhere on the page, and you get the option to translate pop up mate.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Badge Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: