Football Programmes Centre

Another mystery Irish photo
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Another mystery Irish photo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:59 am 
Post subject: Another mystery Irish photo

I don't think I've posted this one before - apologies if I have - but I need some more help from our resident Irish experts, please.

This one has a 1950's look & feel, and it's stamped on the back in an oval roundel "Cork Examiner, Copyright Photograph". There's also a number 6239 printed on the reverse.

Can anyone please identify the 2 teams and venue?

I'm sure there are some give-away clues there for the right man.

If it helps I've blown up the 2 players. The one on the right has a badge that seems to be WFC on a shield. There must be a few options there.

And the one on the left is wearing what could be yellow or old gold and black? He looks familiar somehow.

And there's a lovely old stand behind them. All in all a great photo but sadly I'm at a loss to identify it. Any help greatly appreciated, as always.

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
seand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:27 am 
Post subject:

The ground is definitely The Mardyke in Cork, home to Cork United, Cork Athletic and Cork Hibernians over the years.

You can see the stand here in an article on an Ireland played Hungary there in 1939 (I think this was the only RoI home game played outside Dublin til the 80s)
http://pogmogoal.com/the-blog-reel/ireland-at-the-mardyke/22844/
I'm going off on a tangent but I think that stand might still be in place at the ground which is now used primarily by UCC (University College Cork)

The away team in certainly Waterford. That'll be a blue jersey.

I'll need to check a book at home later but I think the home team is Cork Athletic. It's a very distinctive kit, I'll be able to find it later, and I suspect I'll be able to ID the Cork captain.
The history of football in Cork is fascinating and complicated. This wiki page just scratches the surface
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Ireland_in_Cork_city
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:31 am 
Post subject:

Brilliant Sean, thank you so much.

I'll read all that info later and look forward to the fruits of your further research.

What would I do without you guys?

Bow Sherlock
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Sir Moses Hill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:54 am 
Post subject:

Good to see that even in those days the referee thinks it's all about him.
seand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:58 am 
Post subject:

Ok, it's an interesting one. The home team is Evergreen United, who later became Cork Celtic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_Celtic_F.C.
They normally played their home games at Turner's Cross (where the present Cork City still play) but often moved games when the pitch was unplayable or to accommodate bigger crowds. The captain is the famous Seanie McCarthy, who played for Evergreen from 51 to about 56.
http://loilegends.blogspot.ie/2011/08/sean-mccarthy.html

I have records of Cork Celtic hosting Waterford at The Mardyke on these dates in that era (but it's possible I'm missing others):
27-9-53, Shield (2-2)
26-12-54, League (2-5)
28-8-55, Shield (1-1)
25-4-56, Top 4 Cup semi (3-5)
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:15 am 
Post subject:

Superb info Sean, thank you so much. What a complicated history!

So then it looks like:-

Evergreen Utd v Waterford at the Mardyke, Cork between 1951 & 1956

Sean McCarthy (left) played for Evergreen between 1951-1956

He's a true legend of the Irish game. I wonder who the Waterford player is. Do you know anyone there I could contact please?

Cheers!
FinnHarpsHistory

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:52 pm 
Post subject:

Looks like Jimmy McQuaid to me. This pic taken from Brian Kennedy's book Singing the Blues.
garyspain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:41 am 
Post subject:

only seeing this now and can't add anything to the photo.

It is the Mardyke and the stand is still there. The ground is still used and Limerick played an FAI Cup tie there in the 90's and Dundalk played an EA sports cup tie there a couple of years back. However it was last used regularly for senior football in 1962.

It is mainly used as a rugby ground now.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:49 am 
Post subject:

Thank you Gary.

That probably just about signs this one off.

Cheers all!
Pete
Harjoe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 pm 
Post subject:

Just to add to the history of the photo Jimmy McQuade joined Waterford from St Mirren during 1950/51 season and became caption the following season and formed a partnership in midfield with Eddie McIlvenny who played for U S A who beat England 1 - 0 in the famous match in the 1950 World cup, also Jimmy was an expert penalty taker who always sent the keeper the wrong way and played for Waterford for five seasons , included in that team also was Jimmy Gauld who was transferred to Charlton Ath before moving to Everton and was involved in the betting scandal in the late 1950s
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Irish All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: