Football Programmes Centre

Omen?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Omen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:22 pm 
Post subject: Omen?

Trying to cling to anything in the title run in, so why not an omen?

Back in 1987, Tottenham played West Ham followed by Arsenal in the same week, just like this week, although they were Milk Cup ties, not league games.
At the time, my then wife was expecting our first child, at any day.
After making sure she was not home alone, I went to the Lane for the West Ham game dreading the tannoy call that she had gone into labour and I would have to leave the game.
We won 5-0 and three days later, our daughter was born, leaving me a clear minded trip to Highbury three days later. We won that one too, 1-0.
My mind has wandered to that week nearly thirty years ago, quite a lot in recent days and I can only hope for similar results this time around.......without a baby!!!
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:00 pm 
Post subject:

Ah well, didn't quite work out!

After tonight's results, were I a Leicester fan I'd be getting a little bit...excited?
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:06 am 

Any other season I would be willing Leicester to go all the way.
Any other season, you could probably tip the outcome with confidence.
I just hope we don't go to Newcastle on the last day needing something against a Toon Army needing something to stay up....the stage is set for Andros Townsend to break our hearts.
Incidentally, Claudio Ranieri could lift the title on the last day at Stamford Bridge. How ironic would that be?
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:37 am 
Post subject:

What makes you think Leicester will have to wait till the last game of the season?

Smile

Just be grateful that in a season that your team has its best away record for years you haven't been to four games...two draws and two defeats!

It is sad when the high spot of your trip is sitting one row back from Josh Widdicombe!

Pete
Five and In

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:22 am 

I think the title could be won with the fewest points ever (currently 75) and will run to the last day as results are so strange this season.
Today the media are banging on about a great midweek set of results for Leicester, but most people would have expected them to beat WBA, so I see that as two dropped points. They go to Watford this weekend which will be another battle and still have to go to Chelsea, Man Utd, Sunderland and Palace also. All tough games.
The only thing I can predict with any certainty is that I will be a basket case come the end of the season. Confused
Davee59

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:04 pm 
Post subject:

West Ham away was always going to be a difficult game for Spurs. Had we been offered on Sunday night that Leicester would gain a point on us and @rse and citeh would get the same points from their midweek games as us, I would have taken that without hesitation. It was a bad performance from Spurs, especially first half but my main concern is that Harry Kane looked jaded!
thfcbasil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:28 pm 
Post subject: omen

West Ham always raise their game against Spurs at Upton Park and their recent home record in the league made this as hard a game as there is in the run in. As a Tottenham fan I would love to see us win it, if not then it has to be Leicester. If we beat Arsenal saturday it virtually ends their chances. They would be six points adrift with nine to play and a much poorer goal difference. Should Tottenham win 5 draw 2 and lose 2 of those remaining games which would not be great Arsenal would need to win 8 and with trips to West ham, Man City and Everton that is not going to happen. The north London derby could not be bigger. Leicester will hope for any result other than a Tottenham win. On paper Leicester have a slightly easier run in but the beauty of our league is that there are no easy games. I would not be surprised if it went to the last day. If Arsenal lose saturday they will be looking over their shoulder and a top four finish may be in jeopardy. I am not betting man but here goes, and a little bias in this 1. Tottenham 2. Leicester 3. Man City 4. Arsenal
seand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:14 pm 
Post subject:

When Leicester draw at home to West Brom and pull clear of everyone else in the top four you have to think their luck is in Laughing
foxes1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:55 pm 
Post subject:

Our luck has been in so far this season but we have also played some good football. I can honestly say I am enjoying the ride so far but if we don't win it so be it. I am pleased that we don't have a relegation battle again this season and we are the first club this season to secure our place in the top flight for next season so it's not that bad.
What makes it all worth the wait for a season like this is I hope it gives other clubs the size of ours the hope that they can upset the big boys. I have followed them for years now and can remember going to places like Yeovil, Cheltenham etc in Lge 1 and playing in the Johnstones Paint Trophy on a cold November night against Rotherham at the Don Valley Stadium, and going to Filbert St when the we struggled to get 10,000 down but then I suppose that is the joy of being a fan you take the good times with the bad.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:16 pm 
Post subject:

My god I want Leicester to win it for so many good reasons.
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:17 pm 
Post subject: Re: Omen?

Five and In wrote:

They go to Watford this weekend which will be another battle and still have to go to Chelsea, Man Utd, Sunderland and Palace also. All tough games.

I was in agreement until the last bit Laughing
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:30 pm 
Post subject:

Supporters of top division clubs in Spain, Germany and France must be looking at England and saying "I wish our league was as unpredictable as this"
roughyedz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:49 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Supporters of top division clubs in Spain, Germany and France must be looking at England and saying "I wish our league was as unpredictable as this"

Yep , and what they will be saying is thank god our admission prices are NOTHING LIKE the English
goonerboy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:36 pm 
Post subject: Re: Omen?

Five and In wrote:

I just hope we don't go to Newcastle on the last day needing something against a Toon Army needing something to stay up....the stage is set for Andros Townsend to break our hearts.
Incidentally, Claudio Ranieri could lift the title on the last day at Stamford Bridge. How ironic would that be?

well looks like you came 3rd in a 2 horse race Laughing
James73

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:37 pm 
Post subject:

All back to normal for our end of season finale

Still very happy with our stint though. After loosing at Old Stratford if someone had said you would have a season like that then I would have laughed myself silly.

Looking forward to next season already

#inPochwetrust
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: